The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

what is "zone chat", and how does it work?

Govinda
Govinda
Soul Shriven
Noob here. New to ESO, and new to MMOG's in general.

Re: the chat window in the lower left corner, while playing:

How does the ESO software determine whose messages get posted in my chat window? Is it that everyone who happens to be playing at the time, and who happens to type something there, gets into my chat window? If that were the case, that seems like it could be an awful lot of people all posting at once... how in the world could you carry on a conversation there with just one or two people? I assume some kind of filtering mechanism is in place by default (?), and other filters can be applied somehow (?).
Which brings me to my next question - what does the "zone" word refer to in "zone chat"? Is there chat that is not "zone chat"?
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    /zone chat is basically map chat from GW2, it lets you talk to everyone on that map without being close by. Most use it to sell or troll, some use it to ask for help as well. In general it is just a way to communicate to everyone in the area.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Govinda
    Govinda
    Soul Shriven
    aww, so you are implying an answer to my other question - how to keep all xyz (million+) other players, who are online at any given moment, out of my chat window all at once?
    You seem to be saying: to be in my chat window, they need to either be nearby me, or in my "zone". Right?

What is "GW2"?
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GW2 is Guild Wars 2, another MMO that is free to play. Buy once and never pay a subscription fee. There is a few in house purchases though if you want.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Govinda wrote: »
    aww, so you are implying an answer to my other question - how to keep all xyz (million+) other players, who are online at any given moment, out of my chat window all at once?
    You seem to be saying: to be in my chat window, they need to either be nearby me, or in my "zone". Right?

What is "GW2"?
    Yes they need to be in your zone to be heard on zone chat, such as auridon for example. And GW2 (guild wars 2) is a B2P buy it then play it for free.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • rotiferuk
    rotiferuk
    ✭✭✭
    Govinda wrote: »
    Noob here. New to ESO, and new to MMOG's in general.

Re: the chat window in the lower left corner, while playing:

How does the ESO software determine whose messages get posted in my chat window? Is it that everyone who happens to be playing at the time, and who happens to type something there, gets into my chat window? If that were the case, that seems like it could be an awful lot of people all posting at once... how in the world could you carry on a conversation there with just one or two people? I assume some kind of filtering mechanism is in place by default (?), and other filters can be applied somehow (?).
    Which brings me to my next question - what does the "zone" word refer to in "zone chat"? Is there chat that is not "zone chat"?

In Cyrodiil (the PvP area) Zone is used mainly for "leaders" to give battle commands for their troops / berate players who disagree with them. That is when they can get a word in edgeways between the endless (not to mention elitist) "join our guild" spam requests.
    EU Server.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread will help, I believe.
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/60801/chat-and-grouping

Zone is the general area outlined on your map. Every alliance has five + Cyrodiil and Craglorn.

The zone chat is usually used when you're looking for something or someone and want to reach a lot of people. Like trying to sell an item or find another player for a dungeon (but this isn't so common because you can also use the grouping tools). Or just for general chat in less busy periods.

There are other chats too: /yell, /say, /whisper. As the names indicate, each affects different proximity. /whisper or /tell reaches only one specific player. You can right click their name to whisper someone, or use their handle (/w @PlayerName)

There's also group and guild chat. Self-explanatory.

You can apply filters by right clicking the tab in the upper part of the chat window - it probably just says Chat or whatever, but you can rename it and/or create new tabs.
    Edited by Rosveen on May 31, 2014 11:54AM
  • Govinda
    Govinda
    Soul Shriven
    @everyone, thanks for your posts.

@Rosveen,
    Thanks for that GREAT, helpful explanation.
    Edited by Govinda on June 16, 2014 11:00AM