The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Alternative Weapon Help

DharmaXII
DharmaXII
✭✭
Hi everyone.

I am planning on changing to 2H as my primary weapon. I am a Nord Dragonknight, and I am wondering if a 1H/+ Shield or a Destruction staff would be a better secondary weapon? I love both, but I honestly don't know which is better, and I can't afford to keep respeccing.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1H & Shield will allow you to block better, especially wiyth the passives.
    Destruction Staff will allow you ranged damage, with a passive that bypasses spell resistance, plus some extra effects based on elemental damage.

Only you can say which suits your style better, personally I would go for the 1H & Shield, but that's what I started with on my DK.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • DharmaXII
    DharmaXII
    ✭✭
    Would Bow be another good option to consider? Or should I just stick to these two? Is a ranged weapon essential in PvE/PVP?
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i use 2hander as my main but i have sword and shield as a back up in case i need to become a bit more tanky. It all really depends on your play style, i know DK has some good passives to go with fire destro staff but they also have good tank passives.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Tidelurker
    Tidelurker
    Soul Shriven
    Hello there!

As my signature says, I can't offer much from my own experience. Still, I can see that each of those choices could be a potential complement for your character-- better survivability/tanking if you go 1H+shield, or more ranged and offensive capabilities should you choose a destruction staff.

Some questions which may be helpful to ask are:
    Do you find yourself lacking in survability?
    Would you enjoy having more ranged attacks?
    Do your attribute points and enchantments favor stamina or magicka (or a balance)?
    Is your spell crit higher than your weapon crit?
    Disclaimer: I'm still learning just about everything for this game, at a leisurely pace... but I'll try to help with what knowledge I have!
  • DharmaXII
    DharmaXII
    ✭✭
    Hi all. Thanks for the replies.

I don't really have a preference for either. But I'm worried that not having a ranged weapon might bite me in the rear in the long run. Is a ranged weapon essential for veteran content later on? I doubt I'll be a good tank as I am planning on being a vampire later on (for RP & character reasons - what with the extra fire damage and all).
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DharmaXII wrote: »
    Would Bow be another good option to consider? Or should I just stick to these two? Is a ranged weapon essential in PvE/PVP?

Bow is an excellent weapon, and with the DK's abilities, you don't have to worry too much about enemies getting close.

Also at level 15 you get the weapon swap, so you can have a bow as your primary, with a sword and shield as back up in case mobs get close.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Starlifter88
    I tried dual-wield and bow combination. From an RP standpoint I like it. From a resources standpoint, I wasn't really thrilled with it. I found I would burn stamina with the bow so when I swapped to DW I was low or out. I changed to DW and destruction staff so I could pull from magicka at range and stamina up close and personal. I am definitely still learning to play :smile: