The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How to find racial motifs 101

p_tsakirisb16_ESO
p_tsakirisb16_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
I had to make this post, because I am annoyed to see the prices going from 300g until Thursday to 2000g today.
And what crossed me more, is that every time I do say on zone for people how to do it, and not buy on the stupid prices, I receive plenty of hate and swearing whisper messages.And today that was the tip, since in one single instance I received 6 such messages from different people. (and whole zone was thanking me).

What you need to stack the odds to find them is to have Woodworking, Blacksmithing & Clothing to level 5.
It is not that difficult to be honest, just harvest some wood, jute, rawhide and ore and make level 14 items. (it will help financially if you have a nice stock of your racial stones gathered and you do not have to buy).

a) Then if you are in AD, every time you have to deal with your bank, visit the Vulkhel one.
Scan the ground floor. Wardrobes, desks, chests. You will find one every 3-4 visits. (different instances).

b) You can find them on any place you visit often, and has wardrobes, chests (the triangular ones), etc.
Like the castle in Skywatch, or any similar type building on the other alliances.

c) You will find them, in urns in group dungeons. I found two on Banished Cells.

However (A) is what I did mostly, found gazillion of them to allow me learn the motifs, sell a few for 300g on early days and supply my guild and my friends when the prices creep up.

Finally, buying resources & items from people you do not know, be certain that the money going to the gold-farmers that will sell gold to someone else for real money. You can farm all the resources on your own, you can craft anything, and just keep going with drops & white gear until level 50.
Then you will have so much improving mats, that you will have no trouble make purple gear.

(Enchanting is the tough one, but just buy the damn glyphs then).
Edited by p_tsakirisb16_ESO on April 5, 2014 1:26PM
  • Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with your post except one point.

"Finally, buying recourses & items from people you do not know, be certain that the money going to the gold-farmers that will sell gold to someone else for real money. "

This is the weirdest thing I have read on these forums. I have sold 4 motif books from ppl in general chat so far. Also I have sold many items in guild shop. I do not know any of them. This idea kills trading in an Online game.
    Options
  • Brusco
    Brusco
    Soul Shriven
    @OP:

Yeah I agree with your tips; it's how I found my Motifs.

I'm also of the same mind when it comes to self reliance, but the gold farmers thing - yeah that's the first time I've heard of such a thing. I don't know if that happens or not. Clue me in?
    Options
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And what if you're not in AD? Where do you "farm" racial motifs then? Because I can say that I have been playing since the first early access day in EP and have not found ONE SINGLE racial motif anywhere. All I ever find are crafting mats for drinks and food, or recipes. A whole week...and nothing.

I've also seen prices for those motifs go from 500g to 1.5-2k gold in that time, which is a bit ridiculous, if you ask me.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
    Options
  • lupusrex
    lupusrex
    ✭✭✭
    Anywhere there are desks, trunks, nightstands, backpacks, dressers, or wardrobes can be farmed for motifs and recipes. Inns, banks, and even people's houses in every city will have these containers. You can even logout and login to reset the containers, although personally I'm nervous to try that since it might be considered exploiting.
    Martial Keen-Eye ~ Templar Healer/Archer ~ Daggerfall Covenant

"I ain't done nothin'."
    Options
  • Riny01
    Riny01
    ✭✭✭
    The only motif book I have is the one that was given to me by a friend o_O
    Options
  • Woenprom
    Woenprom
    ✭✭✭
    Good post, I have figured out this trick myself.
    Got two complete sets of motiff books simply doing lazy bank farming with 2 alts since early access.
    " Multiplayer? M'aiq does not know this word. You wish others to help you in your quest? Coward! "
    Options
  • hilelorangutan
    As to the rising prices @ OP this probably has more to do with the fact that A. People have a little more banked gold now and B. People are completing out sets with the motifs they don't have and therefore are willing to spend more for the completion.

I agree you could continue to farm as you described (and that does work so I agree there) however there is no guarantee that you will find the Motif you lack, as it is randomized and you can find ones you have found before. So personally I have no issue with the selling cost on these, its the flavor of the week, enjoy a dynamic trading system. :)
    Options
  • Appren
    Appren
    ✭✭
    "What you need to stack the odds to find them is to have Woodworking, Blacksmithing & Clothing to level 5."
    How is this going to help? What kind of statistical proof do you have for this to help? The only "real" way to farm the books is to spam chests and hope for RNG. My highest level char has opened all chests he ever ran into, and has all relevant crafts at 10+ without ever getting a book, while a noob level 3 char that spent some time in the AD starter bank got several books in a fairly short time, with no tradeskills whatsoever.

"Finally, buying resources & items from people you do not know, be certain that the money going to the gold-farmers that will sell gold to someone else for real money. You can farm all the resources on your own, you can craft anything, and just keep going with drops & white gear until level 50.
    Then you will have so much improving mats, that you will have no trouble make purple gear.
    "

What kind of nonsense is this? If you don't like trading, fine, but don't go claiming everyone you'd potentially trade with are goldsellers or goldbuyers, that's just ridicolous.
    Edited by Appren on April 6, 2014 10:26AM
    Options
  • Dunhilda
    Dunhilda
    ✭✭✭
    OMFG I may or may not had given gold to a gold seller?!

BAN ME

No really that was stupid and with that kind of idea you will get no where, here to add to that logic

You sell a motif for 300 gold, a gold seller see this and buys it and then sell for 2000 gold, great job TC you just funded a gold seller with easy gold!

Options
  • R1ckyDaMan
    R1ckyDaMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    why do you need the crafts to rank 5?
    Options
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The reason he is saying be careful who you buy from is simply because selling Motifs is the main source of gold making for illegal gold sellers atm.
    Options
  • TomLukman
    TomLukman
    ✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    The reason he is saying be careful who you buy from is simply because selling Motifs is the main source of gold making for illegal gold sellers atm.

Now I'm not buying one ever - just beacause. It also explains why trading one book for another feels like a big chore.
    Options
  • Rosebloome
    Rosebloome
    ✭✭
    Make a new character and stay in starter coldharbour running around opening trunks like a mad man? Heard motiffs can drop from there and theres like no other greater cluster of trunks than there.
    Options
  • aftershock911_ESO
    Honestly never got one from a trunk I got 4 in one day out of desks, dressers and nightstands.
    Options
  • fatalslink
    fatalslink
    ✭✭
    I got a ton while the bloodthorn assassin quest was bugged. I was in the rightmost ship in DF in the captains cabin and every 1-2 times I logged I would find one in his wardrobe
    Options
  • ItISLupus
    ItISLupus
    Motifs have been between 1-2k since day one. And 2k is pushing it. The only ones worth more are the 5 later ones, Ancient, Primal, Daedric, Brutal and Imperial.
    Options
  • AbeFroman
    AbeFroman
    I need to go hunting these myself. I have not found any since I have been playing. Thanks for the tips.
    Options
  • tengri
    tengri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found exactly one since Early Access. Breton.
    And I am sniffing out each and every container in every house I enter.

And now, guess what race my char is... :o
    Options
  • spinedoc
    spinedoc
    ✭✭✭
    Weird, I'm level 18 now and on AD and I've never found a single motif. I loot every single thing I can, it's an obsession. My crafting is also 8-10 for each. Not a single freakin motif in all this time.
    Options
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found 7 nord motifs (yeah, really) just in Auridon. Glad I found people willing to trade other basic motifs for them.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
    Options
  • eruexe
    eruexe
    Only ever found one.
    Options
  • eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like they may have toned down the drop rate, in the first few days, from early access to maybe the third day post release I averaged about 2.5 motifs a day, outfitted my main with all the normals and my DK and Templar alts with most of the motifs.

Since then I've seen maybe 4-5 total.
    Options
  • Vampiresbane
    Vampiresbane
    ✭✭
    Appren wrote: »
    -snip-

"Finally, buying resources & items from people you do not know, be certain that the money going to the gold-farmers that will sell gold to someone else for real money. You can farm all the resources on your own, you can craft anything, and just keep going with drops & white gear until level 50.
    "

What kind of nonsense is this? If you don't like trading, fine, but don't go claiming everyone you'd potentially trade with are goldsellers or goldbuyers, that's just ridicolous.

He's not completely off his rocker. There has been a lot of reports of gold farmers using a map hack to teleport from resource node to resource node allowing them to accumulate vast quanities of ore/cloth/alchemy ingredients. It sadly is an issue.
    Options
  • iptvrevolutionub17_ESO
    iptvrevolutionub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    While I agree with most of your post, I like to sell my excess crafting materials for gold. What's wrong with that? It's part of a healthy player economy.....

Why would you include me in the same cesspool of scum as gold sellers?
    Options
  • Matrinka
    Matrinka
    Soul Shriven
    I agree Enchanting is the tough one as nodes should provide glyphs for extraction, rather than the refined materials making it needlessly hard.
    Options
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I fail to see a problem. I'm fairly certain everyone is aware that with enough grinding one can obtain all the motifs. However, there may be folks who don't want to grind for them or—as others have stated—they simply have bad luck finding them. If they have the gold to spend and not the time, then why not?

Also, not everyone who sells their motifs is a gold spammer.
    Options
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, hatewisps are the worst and are so uncalled for. You're just giving players helpful advice and encouraging them to actually play the game. When did that become a crime? Besides, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who want to achieve their ends without actually working for it.
    I don't comment here often but when I do, I get [snip]
    Options