The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Leather Crafting a Pain

Lazrael
Lazrael
✭✭✭
So I have worked on all crafting in all fields, and so far I feel like finding materials for leather crafting the the most prohibitive, due to spawn and drop rates compared to other fields that are based purely on node spawns. Anyone's else feel like this is a bit of am issue? Not a major issue, but something worth addressing at some point?
Artists and Theives...
  • Kng_Ayumayuma
    Kng_Ayumayuma
    ✭✭✭
    In the real world leather come from animals, but when you kill one you do get hide. I can kill a string of animals in ESO and not get squat.

This is a fantasy world so maybe we could have a leather bush?
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was my perception that Leather drops on critters of L26 upwards. Hide on L16 to L25. To test that go to Rivenspire and kill critters on the south-west side (L24-25) and then critters on the East (L26+). My perception might be wrong of course :)
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Lazrael
    Lazrael
    ✭✭✭
    That's all I'm saying, I think it should at least drop off of creatures every time. I have over 300 iron in my bank, but. I'm constantly running out of medium armor resources because the drops and places to acquire supplies is so inconsistent. All of my characters rely on iron and only four rely on leather/hide.
    Artists and Theives...
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhm not really, my leatherworking is two or three levels behind my blacksmithing.
    Kill bears, wolves, crabs and you wont have such a problem.

Enchanting now, thats a chore.
  • apterous
    apterous
    ✭✭✭
    ever heard of item exctraction?
  • Lazrael
    Lazrael
    ✭✭✭
    Really? Been killing things left and right and almost never even get a usable drop. Item extraction works to an extent, but really shouldn't be a solution against over all harvesting. I mean I am glad if some folks have gotten good drops, but I usually get nothing in the way of mats for killing animal mobs and the like.
    Artists and Theives...
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was finding the same thing for a couple of my characters. I came to the conclusion that critter kills (specifically creatures as opposed to npc kills) only regularly drop materials if you hit them in the head. I know that sounds crazy but it seems to work :( I chop at their bodies, nada, whack their heads, 70% chance of material drop. I only worked this out because my Templar generally charges up to the Alits and "Aedric Spears" them in the face with a regular drop whereas my DK had been whacking at wolves with nothing dropping. There's probably some other actual mechanic at work because I can't see the rationale in a game of requiring head damage only for material drops.

It'd be nice to have someone else test the theorem because I can't help but wonder if I'm just deluding myself on this subject :). Also I do wonder whether "stealth" kills get a drop on non-critter animals like deer, because I never get anything on them.
    Edited by Woolenthreads on May 1, 2014 11:12PM
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Celless
    Celless
    ✭✭✭
    The drawback about leather gathering is that it goes against your repair bill. I've found that I've come across more of the cloth materials than I do the leather just in the course of adventuring.

It's come to the point that no matter how serious faced I am about saving a town and releasing some undead soul, if I see a pack of mudcrabs, wolves, or skeevers, they get my full attention.
  • Lazrael
    Lazrael
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly, and then after doing so you don't usually get much in the way of resources. They at least need to make it so the drop rate is a guarantied 1:1, and make drop locations abundant enough that locations don't become completely over farmed.
    Artists and Theives...
  • IceDread
    IceDread
    ✭✭✭
    Lazrael wrote: »
    So I have worked on all crafting in all fields, and so far I feel like finding materials for leather crafting the the most prohibitive, due to spawn and drop rates compared to other fields that are based purely on node spawns. Anyone's else feel like this is a bit of am issue? Not a major issue, but something worth addressing at some point?

To lvl it, just do some light armor as well... not a problem then.
  • Lazrael
    Lazrael
    ✭✭✭
    IceDread wrote: »

To lvl it, just do some light armor as well... not a problem then.

Fair point.
    Artists and Theives...
  • silent6999
    silent6999
    Soul Shriven
    I completely agree that the drop rate for medium armor crafting resources is a little lacking compared to the other two, but the fact that the crafting skill includes both light an medium makes up for the ability to level it. Would love to see a little bump in the drop rate for leather crafting resources so I don't have to slaughter every animal I see just to craft a new set of armor.
  • scabrous_ftz
    scabrous_ftz
    ✭✭
    I agree that the drop rate for leather-type resources is sub par.
    But, on a divergent note, why do the Devs think it makes sense for crabs to drop this? The outer part of a crab's body is made of chitin, not dermis & epidermis, because crabs are arthropods, not vertebrates.
    By the game's rationale, spiders should have an equal chance of dropping leather resources as crabs.
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    Leather is the cheapest material to buy of the crafting trades. If you really need it, buy it. Deconstructing should yield more than enough to make what you need though.

Most of the time, people are selling leather for so cheap that they are basically giving it away...
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can create light armor as well and it is plentiful, though I've never had trouble with accumulating enough leather to craft something if needed. I primarily leveled on cloth gear.

Are people really not doing that? Why wouldn't you harvest the plentiful cloth and use it, though the bulk of materials for me has always come from deconstructing, not gathering.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A bit of a problem, but not much.

For the materials, just deconstruct anything you are no longer wearing, put it in the bank if you aren't going to craft immediately. Don't forget to research any traits you want to imbue your gear with.

For the levels, process jute and deconstruct light armour, this will keep your crafting level up high enough.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • gunsofdeschain
    gunsofdeschain
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had any issue with leather. I'm 48 clothing. I get enough mats just de-constructing loot, I barely bother going after animals just for the mats. In fact, I doubt I ever hunted beasts for their skin, since around level 35ish.
    Edited by gunsofdeschain on May 12, 2014 9:00PM
  • Lazrael
    Lazrael
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem to be dropping a bit more often as of late.
    Artists and Theives...
  • kelebra
    kelebra
    ✭✭
    Clothing is super easy to level, however, for actually getting leather mats, I get most of my mats from deconstructing leather gear I get from quests or drops.
  • BrassRazoo
    BrassRazoo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do actually get a Leather Bush later on .. Ironweed and I think there is another as well.