How exactly does Backlash (Templar) work?

Dagoth_Rac
Dagoth_Rac
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I just picked up the Backlash skill. When I cast it, it makes the enemy glow, but they still take damage. I thought they would be invincible for 6 seconds, then in one burst take 1.33x the damage I dealt during those 6 seconds. Is it bugged? Do I not understand it?
  • kalilkareem
    kalilkareem
    Soul Shriven
    They take damage normally. If they are still alive after 6 seconds they take an additional 33% of the damage taken. Rubbish solo, fantastic in groups.
    Options
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the explanation. I figured it would be good in dungeons. Between Backlash for bosses and Dark Flare for mobs, my Templar should do a good job of making his group do lots of extra damage. All from a distance, which is great because I am a coward and hate to go toe to toe with my opponents. :-)

Is it really rubbish solo? Definitely seems situational, but a good opener against a tough enemy you know will live 6+ seconds. It is cheap enough that you will practically regen the magicka cost while it casts, so it is almost a free 33% damage bonus. And if you open with it, that means you have nearly a full bar of magicka to use to inflict a lot of damage over the next 6 seconds.
    Options
  • Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes use it with Soul Strike for *** and giggles. SS already does a ton of damage, and this gives you extra 33% on top of that. But then again, you could have something else on there that could be more useful.

It's a boss killer. Bit of a waste of space for trash mobs. It also has a cast time, during which you could be doing damage, so it pretty much dulls that extra 33% you get from it when you do it solo.
    Options
  • kalilkareem
    kalilkareem
    Soul Shriven
    On bosses you solo, sure. On trash pulls noone should live 6s, so it is just a waste of mana and cast time.
    Options
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like the morph with the healing pool for my templar tank. I open up with that, jump in, taunt, rune focus, nuke and GG.
    Options
  • billywink3b14_ESO
    Is Backlash bugged at this moment? I'm using it now and once the 6 second ends the target takes no extra damage. Someone in /zone said they take the extra dmg over time but that makes no sense since the tool tip says it stores the dmg you do for 6 seconds then inflicts 35% of that dmg to the target so shouldnt there be a burst when the debuff ends?
    Options
  • billywink3b14_ESO
    Hm nevermind I just read Backlash III is bugged, and thats exactly what level mine is at haha.
    Options
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hm nevermind I just read Backlash III is bugged, and thats exactly what level mine is at haha.

Backlash III is bugged, but it works again at Backlash IV? LOL. That's a weird bug. Where did you read about the Backlash III bug? Do the morphs also bug at rank III?

Options
  • Travail
    Travail
    ✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »

Backlash III is bugged, but it works again at Backlash IV? LOL. That's a weird bug. Where did you read about the Backlash III bug? Do the morphs also bug at rank III?

Power of the Light III worked properly prior to the 1.1.2 patch. I can't speak to whether it works after the patch, since mine is now rank IV.

-Travail.
    www.obsidianbrotherhood.com
    Options
  • JoyEnergiser
    JoyEnergiser
    ✭✭
    I enjoy backlash, it's basically A 1.5 second cast time for 1400 -+ damage(that's where it is hard capped), So solo it's crap but groups it's awesome.

Don't think there is a skill in the game that you can muster 1400 damage for 1.5 second cast time.
    Options
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy backlash, it's basically A 1.5 second cast time for 1400 -+ damage(that's where it is hard capped), So solo it's crap but groups it's awesome.

Don't think there is a skill in the game that you can muster 1400 damage for 1.5 second cast time.
    its 1.5sec CT+6sec duration = 7,5sec for 14xx dmg as it no longer is finished once the max dmg pool is achieved. so its a 1,5sec CT for a <200dps dmg skill - other classes wouldn´t even bother using such rubbish dmg skills :P
    Edited by Tankqull on May 26, 2014 2:54PM
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

Options
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might be worth it to slot as the healer, though. That's a decent bit of damage for someone when you dont need to be attacking the target (or dont typically attack with anything other than basic resto staff hits).
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
    Options