The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Soultrapping?

claudius_Dark
Does anyone do this? How is it working for you? Describe what monsters you fight to soul trap and what levels you are. Does it have to be Daedra to trap?
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can trap any soul, but just get the passive Soul Lock and dont think about soultrapping ever again.
  • Csub
    Csub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gisgo wrote: »
    You can trap any soul, but just get the passive Soul Lock and dont think about soultrapping ever again.

On rank 2 of that passive I still only manage to capture a soul so very rarely that it is hard to believe it is 10%. Do you actually have to last hit the enemy with the weapon or you can use.abilities to finish them off and still get a soul?
    "The Divines gave you a nose for a reason, Tharn. So you can keep your mouth shut and still keep breathing. - Lyris Titanborn
  • pborerb16_ESO
    pborerb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Well, you have to carry soulgems of appropriate level for the monsters you intend to trap souls from, of course. Another way to get soulgems is to do (group) dungeons - the bosses there drop soulgems that are already filled.
  • Salsadoom
    Salsadoom
    ✭✭✭
    I mostly use it to heal as I usually switch out weapons before their charges run out. Periodically useful to ress or ress someone else.
  • TicToc
    TicToc
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the MoB you kill needs to be the same level range as the soul gem, so if you have out leveled the content you may run into some areas where the MoBs will not refill your soul gems.

For active capturing, you have to kill the MoB while the spell is still active on the MoB. Duration is 10 seconds, so if you cast it at the beginning of the fight, it is possible for the spell to wear off before killing them, and you will not get a stone filled. I usually cast it later in the fight and get a soul every time. I'm not sure how the passive works (ie. if it uses that same mechanic).

Weapon or skill kills, it doesn't matter.
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you need Soul Gems to charge your gear, one thing you can do if you're struggling with the (slightly cumbersome) Soul Trap spell, is to buy empty soul gems at the level below your character, then venture back to an area with NPCs at the same level as the Soul Gem. Lower level NPCs are much easier to deal with, so you'll find it easier to use the Soul Trap without getting beaten up.

The lower level Soul Gem will be a little less effective, but you might find the ease of getting lots of filled gems outweighs this small drawback. Personally, this works for me.

This is also a good way to get gold, as full soul gems are worth a lot more than empties. ;)
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Csub wrote: »

On rank 2 of that passive I still only manage to capture a soul so very rarely that it is hard to believe it is 10%. Do you actually have to last hit the enemy with the weapon or you can use.abilities to finish them off and still get a soul?

Mine is only rank one, I get a message telling me I don't have any soul gems to fill every 3-4 group of mobs.
    People keep telling me they're gonna buy me an ale. They never do.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Elves.

Help make this compilation complete!
    Compilation of Ideas and Suggestions
  • Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    Don't waste points for passives, they're useless. Just use the soul trap on some critters periodically and that's that. I usually buy empty gems in packs of ten, find some easy mobs, fill them up and move on.
  • Csub
    Csub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aeradon wrote: »
    Csub wrote: »

Mine is only rank one, I get a message telling me I don't have any soul gems to fill every 3-4 group of mobs.

Ye I did notice I get some souls too but it seemed so rare, like 1 every 10-15+ minutes. Maybe I was unlucky.

Another easy way to trap a soul is, what I admit I also did/do, when you see others fighting mobs, you just tag their mobs with Soul Trap. You won`t steal their mob or loot, you also help a bit with dot and you still get a soul! Best if you find groups of people, then just spam trap on every mob :P
    I usually fill up 20 gems in a minute or two like this.
    "The Divines gave you a nose for a reason, Tharn. So you can keep your mouth shut and still keep breathing. - Lyris Titanborn