The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Question about addons after patch

scottd12003_ESO
scottd12003_ESO
Soul Shriven
I am still new with using add-ons, with that said why are all my add-ons suddenly out of date and unusable , because of the patch? how do i fix? thanks
  • Cairenn
    Cairenn
    ✭✭✭
    Since Aiiane put it so well in her PSA thread, I'll just c&p it:
    Aiiane wrote: »
    For addon users:

By default, addons with a mismatched API Version field will not be loaded. You can force the game to load these addons by pressing Esc, going to Addons, and clicking the "Load out of date Addons" checkbox. This will allow the game to load older addons, but also means that some of the addons loaded may break (since the API they use may have changed).

You'll need to do this until all of the addon authors release updated versions of their addons with the new API Version number, thus indicating that they know the addon works with the latest version of the API.

:)

[Edit] Also, you can use Minion (our addon manager) to update your addons automagically when they get updated by the authors on ESOUI.com.
    Edited by Cairenn on May 23, 2014 2:37AM
    Cairenn
    Co-founder & Administrator
    ESOUI
  • Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭
    Each patch that is applied has the potential to make subtle or even large changes to the API that is used by Add Ons to allow them to function in whatever ways they are intended.

When there are little to no changes to the API, you can just use the check box in-game to force out-of-date add ons to load. Providing the API method calls used by your favorite add on have not changed, it should continue to function properly. Small changes to the API can cause the add ons to generate error messages in-game that may or may not impact your game play.

Eventually the person or persons who made/support the add on will provide an update to the add on to ensure the best compatibility with the game client after each patch. Many of theses add on developers even manage to have the updates ready on or before patch day.

It's a good idea to remember to update all of your add-ons whenever a patch comes out. Sometimes you have to be patient and wait for an update when a patch breaks an add on. Sometimes the updates never come.

Updating add ons usually involves downloading them and installing them in the same manner you did initially. I use the Curse Client myself though. If you aren't familiar, it's a 3rd party program from Curse Gaming (www.curse.com). It allows you to browse their library of add ons and select the add ons you want and it will install them in the proper folders for you and also provides a way to check for and install updates for any add ons you are using.