Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Intel HD 3000

mattgbrowneub17_ESO
Running a Mac book pro with 2.2 GHz, 8mb ram and Intel HD 3000 512mb. I know the requirements are Intel 4000 or greater? Anyone else running on a 3000? Can you cause problems with your comp running the game on a less than minimum graphics card?
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Running a Mac book pro with 2.2 GHz, 8mb ram and Intel HD 3000 512mb. I know the requirements are Intel 4000 or greater? Anyone else running on a 3000? Can you cause problems with your comp running the game on a less than minimum graphics card?
    I can't say on how it will be except it will need to be set down Low and tweak settings for get reasonable FPS.

It wont do anything to your computer to use it. The only thing which may would be if it was not cooling correctly but it should automatically control this itself. Just ensure your MacBook Pro has clear airflow through the vents and also any dust etc. is cleared from inside. You may want to use an app to monitor temperature and boost fans if needed but it should not be essential. Just monitor temperature and see.

Otherwise just try it and play with settings to get as good a balance as you can.
  • mattgbrowneub17_ESO
    Sounds like good advice thanks.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    No problem. Happy to help and good luck.
  • alterfenixeb17_ESO
    alterfenixeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Also there are around apps adjusting fan speed on Macs so your computer can get more cooling when under stress before reaching some higher temperatures. On my Mini with HD 3000 I get steady 20 fps with settings just above low. With proper fan settings CPU temperature is rarely over 75-80C even after extended period of stress on it while with default settings it can reach 90C in less than a minute.

Also you should not worry about official minimum requirements - the biggest difference between HD 4000 and HD 3000 is memory (768 and 512 MB max). Processing power is not that different to be concerned with.

• mattgbrowneub17_ESO
    Any chance you can elaborate (or send me a link with info) on how to properly set the fan temp? It does seem like it gets super hot...I do play with the settings on low, it kind of just looks like oblivion so not unplayable at all...thanks for the input
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any chance you can elaborate (or send me a link with info) on how to properly set the fan temp? It does seem like it gets super hot...I do play with the settings on low, it kind of just looks like oblivion so not unplayable at all...thanks for the input
    The most popular free app for temperature monitoring and control of fans appears to be Fan Control. I suggest to check site for details and comments.
  • alterfenixeb17_ESO
    alterfenixeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Moonraker wrote: »
    The most popular free app for temperature monitoring and control of fans appears to be Fan Control. I suggest to check site for details and comments.
    Yup, that's the one I am using myself. Quite handy and if you do play games it can be life saving - shorter fan lifespan in exchange for a bit longer lifespan of electronics and also in some cases can help with stability (too hot hardware may cause problems).

Just remember after installing it to adjust it's settings to neither you have too hot system nor fan is overused - both situations are bad.

Also you can install some app such as Temperature Monitor (http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html). It can provide some useful information about your hardware - not just CPU temperature but temperature of pretty much every internal component of your Mac.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yup, that's the one I am using myself. Quite handy and if you do play games it can be life saving - shorter fan lifespan in exchange for a bit longer lifespan of electronics and also in some cases can help with stability (too hot hardware may cause problems).

Just remember after installing it to adjust it's settings to neither you have too hot system nor fan is overused - both situations are bad.

Also you can install some app such as Temperature Monitor (http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html). It can provide some useful information about your hardware - not just CPU temperature but temperature of pretty much every internal component of your Mac.
    Fan Control should start with default settings of the Apple default for that Mac.

Problem with Temperature Monitor it was great but doesn't support newer Macs sadly as is confirmed on their site:
    Macintosh computers released between August 2002 and October 2012
    Edited by Moonraker on May 24, 2014 2:25PM
  • alterfenixeb17_ESO
    alterfenixeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Fan Control should start with default settings of the Apple default for that Mac.

Problem with Temperature Monitor it was great but doesn't support newer Macs sadly as is confirmed on their site:
    Macintosh computers released between August 2002 and October 2012
    Keeping default settings makes Fan Control pointless - you don;t install such tool to keep default settings. And also op is asking about HD 3000 which is old Macbook Pro with no Retina (year 2011). And TM was more of an example of such tool - in general on Mac it is useful to have some temperature monitor utility since Mac tend to have heat problem if used extensively (that includes also atleast certain iMacs).

• mattgbrowneub17_ESO
    Update: downloaded the fan control app that was suggested and was getting between 75-81C with both fan rpms between 2-2.2k or so. This stayed consistent for at least two hours of gameplay. Performance was very smooth the whole time. Sound healthy to my comp?

Thanks to both for input & advice
  • alterfenixeb17_ESO
    alterfenixeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly fan speed can be increased a little bit. Don't remember what fans were used in 2011 in MBP but if it was the same as in Mini then my base speed is 1500 RPM, lower threshold at 60C and upper at 90C.

Bottom line is that this 90C is something to be avoided really, something around 75C is not bad really tho. If you are using your notebook on a desk then you may also take a look at if you can improve a bit air circulation around your computer (getting rid of hot air from inside of chassis always helps).
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Update: downloaded the fan control app that was suggested and was getting between 75-81C with both fan rpms between 2-2.2k or so. This stayed consistent for at least two hours of gameplay. Performance was very smooth the whole time. Sound healthy to my comp?

Thanks to both for input & advice
    For a laptop that's OK.