The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Zenimax And Id Officially File Suit Against Oculus Rift

• Swampster
    Swampster
    ✭✭✭
    With the weight of Facebook behind them now.. I doubt they're too worried
    Swampriel - Nightblade (Archer Build) - Ebonheart Pact - Veteran
    Swampess - DragonKnight - Eboheart Pact - Lowbie Faceroller
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gamers rarely win in legal disputes between companies so it's a non-issue for us but this legal stuff was inevitable when someone at Zenimax probably had an "oh, cr*p" moment when Facebook's $2 billion acquisition of Oculus hit the newswires.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Knottypine wrote: »
    I think the evidence will be dry and boring, and probably too complex to follow unless your a fanatic on oneside or the other.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it wasn't for that weight exactly, they'd sued 'em sooner, don't ya think.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • Kaelis33
    Kaelis33
    ✭✭
    I think Zenimax has lost its mind. Their single claim in this is that John Carmacks brain belongs to them Its sickening to see a company file such a frivolous lawsuit. I hope Zenimax loses very harshly.

Carmack used no code from Zenimax
    Zenimax was not even interested in developing VR

Zenimax seems to think they own whatever Carmack does for the duration of his life. Its time the Judicial System put an end to these types of wild claims. Zenimax is merely foshing for money.

Keep in mind Zenimax has not done ONE thing for VR consumers. They have provided ZILCH NOTHING at all. In fact they are trying to hinder an honest company from developing something of great value for consumers. If there is any justice in this world Zenimax will be dealt with appropriately.
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaelis33 wrote: »
    I think Zenimax has lost its mind. Their single claim in this is that John Carmacks brain belongs to them Its sickening to see a company file such a frivolous lawsuit. I hope Zenimax loses very harshly.

Zenimax seems to think they own whatever Carmack does for the duration of his life. Its time the Judicial System put an end to these types of wild claims. Zenimax is merely foshing for money.

Keep in mind Zenimax has not done ONE thing for VR consumers. They have provided ZILCH NOTHING at all. In fact they are trying to hinder an honest company from developing something of great value for consumers. If there is any justice in this world Zenimax will be dealt with appropriately.

Based on info from other web sites, it will probably come down to what was covered in his employment contract and how it is interpreted.
  • Akhratos
    Akhratos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Swampster wrote: »

Yes, because fakebook has never lost a lawsuit.

http://www.complex.com/tech/2012/06/facebook-loses-10-million-lawsuit-over-sponsored-stories

errrr...
  • Akhratos
    Akhratos
    ✭✭✭✭

We are talking about research. You dont need to deliver anything to the "VR consumers" (if they ever exist) to have a valid and worthy research. You know what research means, right?

I doubt their claim is Carmacks brain being their property. If a judge might see evidence of the ZMO claims being true, he could request aditional info about the projects that are supposedly based in ZMO research knowledge, wich would never happen between them both without a judge (would you let them look at your code? no, no matter you have or have not used anything of their property).

@AlexDougherty +1
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Archaon wrote: »

We are talking about research. You dont need to deliver anything to the "VR consumers" (if they ever exist) to have a valid and worthy research. You know what research means, right?

I doubt their claim is Carmacks brain being their property. If a judge might see evidence of the ZMO claims being true, he could request aditional info about the projects that are supposedly based in ZMO research knowledge, wich would never happen between them both without a judge (would you let them look at your code? no, no matter you have or have not used anything of their property).

@AlexDougherty +1

Read the article posted on Ars Technica today. It hashes out the issues in language that most of us can understand. One juicy nugget in that article is Oculus offered Zenimax a 3% stake for an investment of $1.2 million. That investment would have been worth $60 million after the Facebook buyout. I wonder how rich John Carmack is now.
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's going to be a long debate. If the NDA is in fact established during the research and acknowledged by both Lurkey and Carmack, Zenimax might stand a good chance. Given that research notes could be claimed as personal intellectual property by Carmack.

However, since Facebook is in place, the documentations must've already been presented wholly prior to the proposal. Doubt Facebook will make such a hasty decision. But Zuckerberg takes the share market as his shopping mall, who knows?
    People keep telling me they're gonna buy me an ale. They never do.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Elves.

Help make this compilation complete!
    Compilation of Ideas and Suggestions
  • Swampster
    Swampster
    ✭✭✭
    Archaon wrote: »
    Swampster wrote: »

Yes, because fakebook has never lost a lawsuit.

http://www.complex.com/tech/2012/06/facebook-loses-10-million-lawsuit-over-sponsored-stories

errrr...

errrr...

Yes, because it's not about whether they win or lose... more about the financial clout they now have behind them. It's hardly likely to hurt them like it would have done had Facebook not bought them..

Swampriel - Nightblade (Archer Build) - Ebonheart Pact - Veteran
    Swampess - DragonKnight - Eboheart Pact - Lowbie Faceroller