The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Should I play as three characters, or just one?

SFBryan18
SFBryan18
✭✭✭✭✭
I have recently learned that your character can eventually play all three faction quests. This kind of defeats the purpose of having three different characters. I currently have three low level characters. A male Breton Templar in DC, a Khajiit Dragon Knight in AD, and a female Imperial Sorcerer in EP.

I modeled the Breton after myself as I always do. He kind of looks like the Hitman. My Khajiit is a total badass out to quench his blood lust. And my Imperial is modeled after my girlfriend. Thing is, even though I like all three, seems pointless to play three different characters now if the end result is going to be the same.

I'm having a hard time deciding if I should just start over as my eye candy girlfriend and play the Breton Sorcerer with her alone since she will eventually just move on. I personally find the Dragon Knight to be a little boring and the Templar is meh... I would miss having male characters to play as, but I worry that playing three roles would get old quick. Would it be better to just focus on one character, or should I continue to swap back and fourth? They are all only level 8 so it would not set me back much.
Edited by SFBryan18 on May 22, 2014 1:07AM
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mate , that is a call only you can make really heh , i would not lvl an alt myself , but that is me , what i can tell you is that , you can indeed play all factions using only 1 char.

The way it goes is:

lvl 1-50 , your faction.
    vet 1-5 , second faction.
    vet 6-10 , third faction.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • pknecron
    pknecron
    ✭✭✭
    I have 5... 4 over level 20.
  • Ish_Fingers
    I regularly play as one of two characters - both in the same faction, one being a Wood Elf NB, the other a Khajiit DK.

My NB, currently Lv.42, is what I consider my 'less serious' character. I take my time, experiment, explore and generally take things at my own pace. I take in the story, see the sights, hell he's even known to fish from time to time.

The DK is more focused - largely tank-orientated, with more thought into what stats and abilities I choose to level. Since both characters part of AD, I tend to skip any dialogue and know exactly where I'm going. I keep my DK roughly 1 zone's worth of levelling behind the NB.

I find it handy to have 2 characters, not only for the change of pace (pending on my mood) but also the sharing of items etc. for crafting, having another option for helping with guild members/friends, and also being able to play another class & race.

Whilst I enjoy the benefits of two (or more) characters, the most important issue is what do/would you find most fun?
  • SFBryan18
    SFBryan18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whilst I enjoy the benefits of two (or more) characters, the most important issue is what do/would you find most fun?

It's a tough decision. Part of me wants to play all three, but part of me just wants to play the sorcerer only. I find having three inventories to be very tedious.
  • Teverus
    Teverus
    ✭✭
    SFBryan18 wrote: »
    I have recently learned that your character can eventually play all three faction quests. This kind of defeats the purpose of having three different characters. I currently have three low level characters. A male Breton Templar in DC, a Khajiit Dragon Knight in AD, and a female Imperial Sorcerer in EP.

I modeled the Breton after myself as I always do. He kind of looks like the Hitman. My Khajiit is a total badass out to quench his blood lust. And my Imperial is modeled after my girlfriend. Thing is, even though I like all three, seems pointless to play three different characters now if the end result is going to be the same.

I'm having a hard time deciding if I should just start over as my eye candy girlfriend and play the Breton Sorcerer with her alone since she will eventually just move on. I personally find the Dragon Knight to be a little boring and the Templar is meh... I would miss having male characters to play as, but I worry that playing three roles would get old quick. Would it be better to just focus on one character, or should I continue to swap back and fourth? They are all only level 8 so it would not set me back much.

First of all, if you have an eye-candy girlfriend, it wouldn't hurt to play a character with her just for the sake of it. =)

But your larger concern is a tough one.

It all comes back to how you like to play, but consensus seems to be that the game's replayability is non-existant. I can't say either way myself, I recommend you play how you want while keeping the information you have in mind.
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly, I don't see the point in making any alts in ESO (other than banks). I am an altaholic usually, but this game will just make you go through the exact same thing as the last alt, so no thanks.

You play one character through all the quests in the whole world.

By the time you are done, do you really want to go through all that again? :)

I'm still doing my vet levels atm. I don't think i have the energy to repeat all of that again.
    Edited by Blackwidow on May 22, 2014 1:40AM
  • SFBryan18
    SFBryan18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are my two options...

A. One character plays all three factions and gets to the top vet rank.

B. Three characters play their own faction, and then I just use them in PvP and forget about the vet ranks.

Which one seems like it would be more enjoyable (assuming I keep playing of course)?
    Edited by SFBryan18 on May 22, 2014 1:43AM
  • Mishoniko
    Mishoniko
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on how much you care about the character you make in A), I'd guess.