Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Malabal Tor Zone

WhitePawPrints
WhitePawPrints
✭✭✭✭✭
Is it just me or is this the absolute worst zone in the entire game? I hate this zone. The roads are confusing when looking at the map, NPC's cover a good portion of the roads making them not reliable to travel across, the way shrines are incredibly far away from the crafting stations and Mundas Stones, and the Bosmer never shut up. All that aside, there are other issues with this zone.

I play on an iMac and this zone causes my frame rate to drop significantly, no matter the weather. I've been in two thirds of all the zones, in all sorts of weather but nothing causes my fame rate to drop so low as Malabal Tor. In addition, this zone crashes my game, and my computer far more than any other zone, with the exception of Elden Root city.

Maybe it's coincidence that also when I'm in Malabal Tor, and it crashes my computer, my internet modem also crashes requiring restarting.

I entered the zone just to go to the Thief Stone, and within that two minutes, the game crashed, then it crashed my computer, then it crashed my modem.

If there are still Mac leaks, which I am very sure there are considering the random crashes still, then Malabal Tor is a big gash in the hull of the Mac client.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't played the zone to tell. Did you try turning down settings there to see if it helped? If you modem also crashes it points to some other issue as this is not normal behaviour. Do you use wireless or wired connection to the router?

Do you have any addons and if so try disabling them and test.

it could be that there is some corrupted data for that zone which is causing this. Try running the Repair feature on the Launcher (under Game Options)

If you can provide a specification details of your iMac including OS X version and graphics card it would help.
    Edited by Moonraker on May 21, 2014 11:32PM
  • WhitePawPrints
    WhitePawPrints
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Not the most powerful, and definitely not built for gaming but more than sufficient to run modern video games.

My graphics are already lowered significantly to compensate for the lack of Mac compatibility. They're already worse than my other game settings, including World of Warcraft, Starcraft II, Diablo 3, and Spore. So lowering graphics lower will just completely destroy the game experience.

I don't deal with Add-Ons. Never liked the idea of Add-Ons anyway. Never know when one will conflict with programming and create glitches.

For the repair function, I'm hesitant to use it after the incident with one of the previous patches destroying the Launcher. The issue was present before that patch, and has been present in the patches since. I don't know if it's an issue specific to my computer, or if others have this same issue. Was hoping to see which was the case before I tried solutions that potentially messes with the game.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The main problem is that the graphics card is the base model and really the minimum for this game as identified by the System Requirements;
    WHAT ARE THE MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR MAC?
    Updated 04/26/2014 03:27 AM Published 12/03/2013 10:07 AM
    Mac Minimum System Requirements:

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.7.0 or Later
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    Memory: 4 GB System RAM
    Hard Disk Space: 60 GB free HDD space
    Video Card: Intel HD Graphics 4000, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, ATI Radeon HD 6490M or better
    Resolution: 1024X768 minimum display resolution
    Media: DVD-ROM
    Mac Recommended System Requirements:

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.7.0 or Later
    Processor: Intel i5 processor
    Memory: 4 GB System RAM
    Hard Disk Space: 60 GB free HDD space
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, ATI Radeon HD 5770 or better
    Resolution: 1024X768 minimum display resolution
    Media: DVD-ROM
    *A persistent internet connection is required to play.

**System requirements are subject to change over time.
    source
    It's the 512MB VRAM that hurts these cards and will require Low settings with possibly Medium in some situations especially on an iMac to run the screen in native resolution.

It is not possible to compare ESO directly to WoW etc. as the graphics demands are quite a bit higher especially in areas with more players. The world objects etc. use higher textures and load more into memory.

It's hard to say why a specific region is hitting it more than others and I can only think it may be some data corruption in something specific to that zone. Unless there are just higher demands for some reason in textures etc.

The issue is not related to any particular patch if it is corruption of data. So I would still recommend to backup the current install folder and then reinstall the game to eliminate any such problem.

The Launcher was a real problem before but does seem to have improved at least in most cases though network can cause problems (college location etc.)
  • WhitePawPrints
    WhitePawPrints
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My PC has a far weaker graphics card, and this issue is not present in Malabal Tor.

Data corruption is the most likely cause.
    Edited by WhitePawPrints on May 22, 2014 5:19PM