The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

So I've reached the vet zones...

Pele
Pele
✭✭✭✭✭
I've just finished the main story line and reached the veteran area i.e. other factions' zones. I've not played it much yet–just picked up my first mission, and I have a few questions.

It is my understanding that I will be doing the same missions as players who chose those factions as their own.

- Are the missions the same in every way? For argument's sake, what if you don't like the other factions? Are there veteran mission options that favor your home faction [eg: sabotage] or are you forced to aid a faction you dislike to level up?

- Is questing in veteran areas the only way to level up through the veteran ranks?

- I am not yet VR1 [Level 46]. Should I return to my faction's zones to level up to 50 or would it not matter if I leveled normal levels in veteran zones?

Thanks!
  • Dita
    Dita
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.
    Yes. (maybe some Pvp - a lot less XP though & VR Dungeons)
    No matter.
    "Begun the Bot Wars has"
  • Commonpain
    Commonpain
    ✭✭✭
    Dita wrote: »
    Yes.
    Yes. (maybe some Pvp - a lot less XP though & VR Dungeons)
    No matter.

/signed
    /signed
    would do the non Vet Quests before if you plan on leveling by questing, since you can level non vet in vet and non vet, but vet only in vet areas.

cheers
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was fast. Thank-you both.

+Insightful
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Grind that is the "Reward" for reaching the end of your faction. You get to do it all over again! (and again, and again, and again...)
    Edited by OmniDo on May 20, 2014 1:05PM
  • Metacon
    Metacon
    ✭✭✭
    You get to play the missions of the other faction in the exact same way as a player of that same faction.. which has quite some weird roleplay consequences.

When I, as a veteran from ebonheart, was sent to Daggerfall - one of the first missions turned out to be me uncovering a plot to kill the daggerfall king.

I was like "well, ok then so be it."
    But the game would not let me get through with this.

Reluctantly I had to save the king of the enemy faction... and am now regarded a "hero" of daggerfall. There goes roleplaying out of the window. :) Its illogical from a roleplay standpoint when the three factions are at war, why a seasoned veteran from one faction should help the enemy - better start a twink then. (but I get the hint that this mechanic was just to help "recycle" content for seasoned players)

Given the other gripes I had with playing veteran content in the other factions, I have virtually just stopped doing PVE. (Although I really liked leveling from 1-50 in my own factions regions) I find veteran zones to be a tedious boring grind, with tough enemies (Beating a couple of v1 mudcrabs in glenumbra is - according to the gamedesigners - more difficult than beating Molag Bal on Level 50 while youre in Coldhaven - i think thats weird.) Add to that: repair costs of 2000-3000 Gold for 1-2 hours of veteran PVE-gameplay (without constantly dying I might add) and virtually no character advancement.

Although leveling is still ridiculously slow, I went to Cyrodiil for PvP after beating the main story line for my faction and sampling Glenumbra. Same tedious leveling, but more fun and zero repair cost.

Edited by Metacon on May 20, 2014 6:04PM
    Any barbarian can lead a mob - but a paladin will turn a mob into an army.
    Emerald Security Blog
    "I used to be a PvE adventurer like you - but then I took a 'veteran content' to my knee."
    "I used to be a PvP adventurer like you - but then I took patch 1.2.3 to my knee."
  • Yankee
    Yankee
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am just a mercenary for the loot and gold. I will save any king, then kill him later. Let them think I am a "hero", makes them more vulnerable while I loot every container in their palace.

Screw all those politicians and their puppet soldiers.

They do not even realize I am really an Immortal daedra who cannot die. Defeat is only temporary until I regain my strength to come back again.

VR zones are fine by me.
    Edited by Yankee on May 20, 2014 1:20PM
  • Ohioastro
    Ohioastro
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's substantially more challenging in the vet levels and the dungeons are genuinely cool and interesting. If you don't like running through the other quests there is no requirement for you to do so - for example, you could run characters through all three factions the "right way", or you could switch to PvP. This is a new game, and I suspect that they'll be changing how the veteran content game works regularly over the next few months. Do it if you like it, and don't if you don't.
  • Mephos
    Mephos
    ✭✭✭
    be happy when you reach V10 in about 1-2 month or so, there will be a new update so you can do the quest grind again up to V12 :)

yay! *goes and runs in a running chainsaw*
  • reften
    reften
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    who says you HAVE to get VR10?! I don't understand this. Play the game the way you want to play. just so weird.
    Reften
    Bosmer (Wood Elf)
    Moonlight Crew (RIP), Misfitz (RIP), Victorem Guild

VR16 NB, Stam build, Max all crafts.

Azuras & Trueflame. Mostly PvP, No alts.

Semi-retired till the lag is fixed.

Love the Packers, Bourbon, and ESO...one of those will eventually kill me.
  • FunkyBudda
    FunkyBudda
    ✭✭✭
    oren74 wrote: »
    who says you HAVE to get VR10?! I don't understand this. Play the game the way you want to play. just so weird.

Isnt the Craglorn content that's coming up require you to have VR10 to be effective for the trials?

• Guppet
    Guppet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you ever want to play any of the new content they bring out, you do have to get to VR10.
  • reften
    reften
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guppet wrote: »
    If you ever want to play any of the new content they bring out, you do have to get to VR10.

Right, and what is the new content going to be? New quests, new areas, slow "grinding" leveling, which is exactly what VR1 is.

Maybe the bigger question, is, what's the hurry? So the powergamers get to play craglorn before you...the game isn't going anywhere.
    Reften
    Bosmer (Wood Elf)

• Guppet
    Guppet
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Right, and what is the new content going to be? New quests, new areas, slow "grinding" leveling, which is exactly what VR1 is.

Maybe the bigger question, is, what's the hurry? So the powergamers get to play craglorn before you...the game isn't going anywhere.

Believe it or not, some individuals are able to play the game for far more hours in a week than you are able to.

These players have taken their time and have still ended up completing all content.

By saying take your time, what your really trying to say is play less.

What do you consider an acceptable weekly play time? What play time should the game be built assuming its average player will play for?
  • reften
    reften
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Believe it or not, some individuals are able to play the game for far more hours in a week than you are able to.

These players have taken their time and have still ended up completing all content.

By saying take your time, what your really trying to say is play less.

What do you consider an acceptable weekly play time? What play time should the game be built assuming its average player will play for?

Never said play less, no idea where you got that from. Hell, play more, I'm trying to find more time to play.

Maybe stop doing things that feel like grinding. Do some quests, do some pvp, hunt for crafting materials, complete all the old dollmens you've missed, group dungeons, go back to do some questing...do some groups of 4 in cyrodiil and hunt skyshards.

If you're just looking for the fastest way to hit VR10 (which is grinding out quests non-stop, and hitting all points of interested as fast as possible) than you're just rushing through the game to get to the highest level, to get through all the content...so you get burnt out from the game, saying this grinding sucks.

Edited by reften on May 20, 2014 7:48PM
    Reften
    Bosmer (Wood Elf)

• Zepheric
    Zepheric
    ✭✭✭
    My simple veteran leveling guide.

1. Kill every world boss and Public Dungeon boss
    2. Complete all dolmens
    3. Complete Cadwells Almanac Quests (You get this when you start the next faction)
    4. Move to next zone
    5. Repeat

This will likely get you to VR 9 ish and you might have to quest through the final zone.

Or, you can grind through every quest at less than half the speed of the above method, but it is up to your playstyle.

Veteran leveling is actually kind of fun, and I like it because questing can actually NOT be the focus of your leveling experience, it can be grouping with other people in dungeons and to kill world bosses and thwart molag bal!
    Sanguine's Tester
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure storylike Veteran Zones seem a bit weird. But you are not there to help others, it's there to show you how would it be if you landed on another shore, it's there for you so you can learn more about each race and faction. It shows you all the good and bad sides of everyone, the choice to help or not is however yours.

I'm thinking this story is setting up something on much bigger scale. There are way more daedric princes, their plots are endless. Soon we'll probably need to forget the differencies between us, and join together, or we'll be pretty much doomed. How that would play on PvP side I have no idea, but I would love some imperial city arena.

Right now I'm not really bothering with rushing to VR10. I'm having to much fun with quests and exploration. I even postponed dungeoning till VR5 thinking I'd be more effective by then. It's taking me 40hours for each zone actually, sure I'm doing everything that can be done. Be it looting chests, finding nodes, doing world events with others!

I just dinged VR3 today, and I'm about to be done with 2/5 faction zone in the next hours. And all that took me over 280 hours! My advice is - Do Not Rush!
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've no idea how this morphed into a "Do not rush through" argument. I see no problem with that play style if one chooses to play his/her game in such a manner. To each his own.

I am not concerned about reaching VR 10 in the fastest way possible. I simply want to reach it. What's wrong with that?

I can't wait to start my journey from VR 1 - VR 10, and I hope it'll be as much fun as 1-50. I do expect to hit some grind, but I plan to stop and do something else if it gets tedious.
  • Yasha
    Yasha
    ✭✭✭✭
    Metacon wrote: »
    You get to play the missions of the other faction in the exact same way as a player of that same faction.. which has quite some weird roleplay consequences.

When I, as a veteran from ebonheart, was sent to Daggerfall - one of the first missions turned out to be me uncovering a plot to kill the daggerfall king.

I was like "well, ok then so be it."
    But the game would not let me get through with this.

Reluctantly I had to save the king of the enemy faction... and am now regarded a "hero" of daggerfall. There goes roleplaying out of the window. :) Its illogical from a roleplay standpoint when the three factions are at war, why a seasoned veteran from one faction should help the enemy - better start a twink then. (but I get the hint that this mechanic was just to help "recycle" content for seasoned players)

Given the other gripes I had with playing veteran content in the other factions, I have virtually just stopped doing PVE. (Although I really liked leveling from 1-50 in my own factions regions) I find veteran zones to be a tedious boring grind, with tough enemies (Beating a couple of v1 mudcrabs in glenumbra is - according to the gamedesigners - more difficult than beating Molag Bal on Level 50 while youre in Coldhaven - i think thats weird.) Add to that: repair costs of 2000-3000 Gold for 1-2 hours of veteran PVE-gameplay (without constantly dying I might add) and virtually no character advancement.

Although leveling is still ridiculously slow, I went to Cyrodiil for PvP after beating the main story line for my faction and sampling Glenumbra. Same tedious leveling, but more fun and zero repair cost.

Great post, this is exactly why I can't understand/accept how VR has been set up -it makes no sense whatsoever.
  • Moonchilde
    Moonchilde
    ✭✭✭
    Yankee wrote: »
    I am just a mercenary for the loot and gold. I will save any king, then kill him later. Let them think I am a "hero", makes them more vulnerable while I loot every container in their palace.

Screw all those politicians and their puppet soldiers.

They do not even realize I am really an Immortal daedra who cannot die. Defeat is only temporary until I regain my strength to come back again.

VR zones are fine by me.
    This is how I play too. The politics are inconsequential to my mission in Tamriel: to establish secret Daedra cults among the outcasts and tribal people. That's my RP, and nobody can change that. Makes the game enjoyable, because my mission is just to ensure these figureheads are given a false sense of security.

It would be nice to see a quest line that allowed you to go against the mainstream, and walk a road that results in ruin instead of stability. Considering everything is instanced, why couldn't some players live in a shadow faction where everything is a burning hellscape, and the NPCs are not lawful? Goods and services will continue unchanged, its just a matter of atmosphere.
  • Anvos
    Anvos
    ✭✭✭
    Story wise I just kind of accept that its a consequence of using Meridia's gift that you can't alter events in a large enough way that it jepordizes the invasion of Coldharbor occurring.