The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

So, about melee.

Regoras
Regoras
✭✭✭
Should I just re roll as a caster ( destro/resto )? Because I just don't feel melee as being worth while... at any level really.
  • lavendercat
    lavendercat
    ✭✭
    well, what ive done is roll one of these DK earthern hearts.

its great because you can put fire on your weapons (i use dual wield) and then throw rocks at the beast. then while its knocked down you can hack away at it with your swords. ive found this to be pretty efficient. :)

i tried NB but im terrible at moving out of the way so i was getting battered. so i thought about making a caster. but, for me the rock throwing thing really works to keep them off me :)
    hello :)
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    well, what ive done is roll one of these DK earthern hearts.

its great because you can put fire on your weapons (i use dual wield) and then throw rocks at the beast. then while its knocked down you can hack away at it with your swords. ive found this to be pretty efficient. :)

i tried NB but im terrible at moving out of the way so i was getting battered. so i thought about making a caster. but, for me the rock throwing thing really works to keep them off me :)

So respec and turn your nightblade into a caster. There is nothing about the class that says you have to be in melee. I've seen nightblade casters and healers and they work fine. Equip a destruction staff and go for it.

It should be even better once they fix the NB passives so they all work properly.
    Edited by Saerydoth on May 19, 2014 7:43PM
  • Regoras
    Regoras
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like my NB is useless when I am geared up, a sorc 5 levels below me is just running through crowds of mobs my level, and I can't take more than 1 at a time.
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oops, double post.
    Edited by Saerydoth on May 19, 2014 7:43PM
  • michaelpatrickjonesnub18_ESO
    Two-handed weapon with heavy armour sucks, but if you are a decent player you can make it work.

In ESO, ranged/AoE characters rule the roost.
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are supposed to "think outside the box" and build your character the way you like. Classes are not restricted to a specific role. The ONLY thing classes bring to the table are their skill lines, which are not the end all/be all of everything.
  • Fissh
    Fissh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run a 2H DK with skills from all the classes (Ardent,Draconic,Earthen) to make it ridiculously awesome. Obsidian shield, momentum, keep bleeds up, cleave that builds ultimate in seconds in a crowd....
    <X-Raided>
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Use a bow for your second weapon. On my NB (level 48, doing veteran content now) I'm melee against multiple targets but use the bow for bosses; seems to work pretty well.
  • rhubbert_ESO
    rhubbert_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I play as a heavy armor sorcerer wielding a two handed sword, and I love it. I have very little trouble in veteran content and completed all 3 tier I vet dungeons by VR3 using only my sword.

Melee works well in this game if you are able to dodge and block at critical moments. If you are unable to do this, or want a super squishy build, ranged is better.

I use a bow for my second weapon to allow for both types of builds. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.
    Iris Umbra// Stamina Nightblade // Aldmeri Dominion
  • Aoifesan
    Aoifesan
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like my NB is useless when I am geared up, a sorc 5 levels below me is just running through crowds of mobs my level, and I can't take more than 1 at a time.

I can say without doubt that you are then doing it wrong. Siphon's top tier ability does decent AoE, Viel of Blades does Very decent AoE, and You can use any number of weapon abilities to also do AoE, Siphon's Ultimate also does decent AoE.

• Daethz
    Daethz
    ✭✭✭
    For PvP? yes.
    Archers will destroy you from walls from a mile away in three seconds flat.
    Plus as melee you get the luxery of sitting there doing nothing waiting twenty minutes for keep walls to crumble so you can get into the courtyard and clear it out in 60 seconds flat.
    Waiting, and watching, for the return of Melee Weapons.
    -Subsidiary of The Fighters Guild
  • Loco_Mofo
    Loco_Mofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I quite like using a sword & shield myself. Duel wield also has a place on my nightblade.

Do you want to elaborate a little bit OP or is this just another whine thread?
  • Regoras
    Regoras
    ✭✭✭
    Tried out the mechanics of a caster last night... first time in any MMO I've played since 1996 actually. Think I'll be sticking with the sorc until they balance it... talk about walking nuclear bomb.
  • seaef
    seaef
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destro staff pulls them in and wears them down. Sword & board finishes them off.

I don't see a problem here.
    "The Illuminati are very achievement focused. It's like Xbox - only everything is hardcore."
    - Kirsten Geary
  • Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭
    I use sword and shield primarily, but I have a bow in my weapon swap for when I need to keep the baddies at a distance.
  • dennissomb16_ESO
    dennissomb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Use dual sword and board. Was building towards a tanky type of build for the guild. It is slower but safer as I quest through vet ranks (in rank 8 zone at moment). However, of the 10 slots I use (5x2) I only use 2 weapon abilities, Shield charge to get into fight and power slam to control mobs. Class magic damage is simply far greater, but melee abilities can certainly add some utility

Yes I watch sorcs kill 5 times faster but I have always liked melee combat, so I make it work best I can. really just have to find out whats fun for you and make it work. If you are a min/maxer, use magic
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Saerydoth wrote: »
    You are supposed to "think outside the box" and build your character the way you like.

- You can build your character the way you like.
    - Great! Ill make a NB melee assassin!
    - No, you cant do that! Youre supposed to think outside the box!
    - But I love playing melee assassins!
    - Well, you cant. Isnt it obvious you have to go against the archetype that youve chosen? Thats the way to make it work. Nightblade assassin... what an absurd idea.

Edited by khele23eb17_ESO on May 20, 2014 3:09PM
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • Vuron
    Vuron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are supposed to "think outside the box" and build your character the way you like.

What if the way I like is 'inside the box'? What if I like playing the archetypal melee assassin?

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/dw-assassin-nb-it-does-exist/
  • SDZald
    SDZald
    ✭✭✭
    I have several characters all with different builds. I love playing with my heavy armor, 2 handed smashing, Templar. Yea he is a bit gimped compared to the "flavor of the month" build but I don't really care. I play to have fun not to work at having the most uber character possible.
  • murklor007neb18_ESO
    Worthwhile? Yes its worthwhile.

Now at least. I doubt it will be worth it after the sheild nerf.

Look its real simple. My nightblade is a sword/sheild and sword/sword heavy armour user. Heavy armour and sword&board is maxed out, dual is perhaps 80%. My entire character is based around melee damage, magicka is secondary and I always have tons of it when fighting because I use stamina much more.

I have zero points in destruction. If I equip a flame staff, standard ranged attack does double the damage of my standard melee attack.

What is wrong with that picture?! Sure melee has some decent skills... But so does ranged and AoE. Why the hell does ranged weapon do twice the damage for a character that focuses on melee?

Melee is killing my freakin finger AND my mouse. I dont care about the sheild bash, they can nerf that all they like. It wasnt supposed to be abused. But melee damage IMO should triple.
    Edited by murklor007neb18_ESO on May 20, 2014 3:29PM
  • ZeroTheCat
    ZeroTheCat
    ✭✭
    Vuron wrote: »

What if the way I like is 'inside the box'? What if I like playing the archetypal melee assassin?

It does exist. Still horribly underpowred compared to the other classes though. Enter any VR public dungeon and you will see the difference... Can't wait for patch 1.2. ^^
  • Azarul
    Azarul
    ✭✭✭✭
    Daethz wrote: »
    For PvP? yes.
    Archers will destroy you from walls from a mile away in three seconds flat.
    Plus as melee you get the luxery of sitting there doing nothing waiting twenty minutes for keep walls to crumble so you can get into the courtyard and clear it out in 60 seconds flat.
    I disagree wholeheartedly. I haven't had a archer kill me in PvP in so long. They are incredibly weak. Yes if you just stand outside the keep wall you are going to lose, but in open terrain I will destroy them. I run S&S and 2 hand for PvP and once you charge in close they never recover.
  • p.hurst1b16_ESO
    p.hurst1b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I now kick 2H melee dps from my group with no warning. They are useless,

DW can be amazing if a good spec, counter intuitive to the snobby magic elitists but DW can slice through enemies with great speed.

DW melees need to know that in dungeons they also need to stay alive and not face off the bosses. They should have enough self heal and pots and escape skills to put less pressure on the healer. Takes skill but i love seeing a good DW in action in the dungeons.

2H players need to think again. Its great for solo and easy mob grinding but dreadful when you need to focus down a boss. Also they need to know how to interrupt and to do so. Tanks can be pushed for stamina sometimes so interrupt is all melee responsibilty.

2H dps is a joke. And anyone who thinks not is WRONG.
    <Enigmatic Name> Is poaching new guild members again ! Apply on our webby with your CV and proof of identity and we can arrange an interview with a panel of our officers.
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Despite what is written in the description this is only viable in VR when used with shadowy disguise/dark cloak. Even then its much more 'dance around mobs untill they drop dead of boredom' than 'assassinate with deadly precision'. Not really comparable to how other classes perform.

P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • Ravinsild
    Ravinsild
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have found the same is true for me.

Played a Dual-Wield Nightblade Medium armor up to VR2

Played a 2h Sorc Templar in Heavy armor up to VR4

Played a 2h DK in Heavy Armor up to 42

Now playing a Nightblade with Ice Destro Staff and Siphoning line and between Cripple, the Destructive Reach, Agony the stun etc.... It's like playing a Frost Mage in WoW and nothing ever touches me, even if they do I heal off Strife.
  • aipex8_ESO
    aipex8_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZeroTheCat wrote: »

It does exist. Still horribly underpowred compared to the other classes though. Enter any VR public dungeon and you will see the difference... Can't wait for patch 1.2. ^^

First off, I'm a pretty casual player, I've never respecced, never followed a guide for my build, and I love the minimal UI, so don't have any DPS meter add-ons installed. I just mess around with my available abilities and use what works. Here's my build (currently VR5):

NB, DW daggers, vampire. Stamina focus.

I open with Reapers Mark, Ambush from stealth, heavy attack, Rapid Strikes (many times I will take out the caster first and he will be dead before I have to use Rapid Strikes). If I'm attacking a group of three, after downing the first with that opening, I will move on to the others and spam Rapid Strikes until out of stamina or low on health, then use Invigorating Drain to refill. Blocking and interrupting are key. If I miss a block or have my controls lock out (funny I have to account for this bug in my build because it happens so often) I will pop my bats, but I use them surprisingly little.

It's very common for me to have an impromptu team up in a public dungeon, and for us to take on a group of 3, I'll kill 2 and the other guy will only be half finished with the third, so I'll jump in and finish him off.

Yes, I need to play like an assassin, no run and gun. I have to sneak a lot and strategize each encounter... but if you want to play an assassin type, that should be obvious.

If I can make melee work, and make it work well IMO, the elite, min/max player should be able to do even better. I can't speak for PvP, as I haven't even tried it yet, but most of the QQ threads are about vet PvE content.
  • Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This^
    Anything is doable though. Even melee. It's just a lot more effort has to be put into it (and often more risk). Not that that is a bad thing though.
  • Daethz
    Daethz
    ✭✭✭
    Evergnar wrote: »

This^
    Anything is doable though. Even melee. It's just a lot more effort has to be put into it (and often more risk). Not that that is a bad thing though.
    And as melee you get the chance to connect with your inner thoughts while you are running back to the battle because you die so quickly without any chance of protecting yourself.
    Waiting, and watching, for the return of Melee Weapons.
    -Subsidiary of The Fighters Guild
  • frwinters_ESO
    frwinters_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love melee. If you use crowd control for Pve or PvP it works well. One hand shield, NB you can stun an enemy near indefinitely if managed right and kill them slowly.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fissh wrote: »
    I run a 2H DK with skills from all the classes (Ardent,Draconic,Earthen) to make it ridiculously awesome. Obsidian shield, momentum, keep bleeds up, cleave that builds ultimate in seconds in a crowd....

Whats your build look like?