The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Security

Jonplummer99b14_ESO
Real quick and maybe I am stating the obvious but so be it... Maybe hire a consultant or bring in expertise if this isn't your core competency but you MUST address the gold selling bots and security of your forums and site.

Here's the thing; I love the game. I think I have a reasonable expectation regarding bugs, content, etc. All in all I am happy and don't have a lot of criticism as to the development of the game and the experience it provides. I had planned to play a long time but am deeply concerned at the level of attention this game is receiving from gold sellers and the inadequate efforts to stem their influence.

I'm not going to pretend this is easy nor do I lack empathy for the level of attention and work required to maintain a modicum of security when you are essentially under constant attack as the new kid on the block but the efforts you are making are not enough.

Today I received a private message from a gold seller which of course was evidenced in an e-mail to my web mail account (No I never provide my core provider e-mail address to anyone) This prompted my response.

I've been playing MMOs since they have existed. I was a victim of SOEs's failed security a couple years ago and was saved by the fact that I use web-based mail and often pre-paid credit cards as payment. The prepaid card on my Sony account was expired or I would have been compromised. (Through no fault of my own) Sony lost me as a customer forever, as my efforts to make contact with someone a week before the news broke of their hack met with zero success.

I saw Aion hacked. I remember scores of bots in Lineage lining up and marching back and forth from farming areas like something our of a George Orwell novel; there were literally hundreds of them on at any time. I quit both of those games.

I played Tera while waiting for this to launch and saw nada - no farmers, no spammers, etc. Clearly they have figured something out.

I'm expecting to get flamed with this post but I am leaving it here as I care about the game and want it to succeed. Here's my point:

The minute I lose complete faith in your ability to operate in a safe and secure environment, I'm outta here and I won't be alone. I work in the financial services industry and see the effects of identity theft every day. it isn't worth it.

Get control of this or pay the price. Not really a rant - just speaking my mind.
Edited by Jonplummer99b14_ESO on May 21, 2014 12:22AM
  • Rynada
    Rynada
    Soul Shriven
    I just submitted a ticket for this very issue, I also received an private email message from one of these people today. I have never released my private email to anyone, I hope there is not a security leak but I do believe that there may be. I hope they address this issue quickly.
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have notifications checked in your profile on this forum? If so uncheck it.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do people not understand the meaning of the word notification?

Why do we have so many threads about this where people confuse a notification email about a private message with the perceived leaking of their email address?

You did *not* get an email from a gold seller. What you got was a notification email from this forum alerting you to the fact that you have a new private message (from a gold seller).

Those two things are not even remotely the same. I am completely flabbergasted about the lack of understanding this basic forum mechanic ...
    ;-)
  • Jonplummer99b14_ESO
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Why do people not understand the meaning of the word notification?

Why do we have so many threads about this where people confuse a notification email about a private message with the perceived leaking of their email address?

You did *not* get an email from a gold seller. What you got was a notification email from this forum alerting you to the fact that you have a new private message (from a gold seller).

Those two things are not even remotely the same. I am completely flabbergasted about the lack of understanding this basic forum mechanic ...
    ;-)

I understand this. I got a private message from a gold seller on this forum as reflected in my e-mail. Personally, I don't see a lot of value in private messages from gold sellers. I bet I am not alone in this. I thought I articulated this in my post. Take a look at it.

I don't much like playing next to scores of bots either...
    Edited by Jonplummer99b14_ESO on May 21, 2014 12:57AM
  • Jonplummer99b14_ESO
    Do you have notifications checked in your profile on this forum? If so uncheck it.

Thank you. I have. Good advice.
  • SFBryan18
    SFBryan18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad I paid with PayPal.