The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Pay 100,000 gold for a class change

• Danarchist
    Danarchist
    ✭✭
    If they would upgrade the bloody graphics for Asheron's Call 1 I would have never tried this game, or the last ten exactly like it that came out. That game was hands down the best MMO experience I have ever had, I am still buying game after game trying to recreate the experience. If I could just stand the lego like (but far far worse) graphics I would be playing it still.
    Fond memories of stashing all my gear on an alt (via a tense hide stuff in a corner, log out/in, loot stuff out of corner process) and running out into the wild naked to murder as many things as I could. Usually came back packed to the gills with gear and some minor trauma of shadow's chasing me for miles at a time.
  • Spiritreaver_ESO
    Spiritreaver_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The comment on 'value of choice' ended the thread as far as im concerned.

Choice without meaning isnt choice at all; its meaningless.

Stop destroying every game you play by forcing equality. That would be my advice. Real life is made beautiful by variance, inequality and difference.

If all are the same; 90% of things wont even be used anymore. Its human nature to use only the best 'unless there is no choice'.

This isnt the real world, with a million different happenstance variables. Its a computer game based on math and much smaller scale things.
    So classes become a necessary evil to promote/encourage diversity within a limited scale world (mmo). For the benefit of all across the game, whether they realise it or not.

It is 'harder to balance' for the devs. It takes much longer to find a happy medium between the knight, the archer and the mage; than it would without. It can be frustrating because of it.

But ask yourself, when everyone is just a clone, whats the point anymore? Would anyone even notice when you were gone?

Its my opinion, that people need think alot more about the wider repercusions of their impulsive desires, rather than just asking for 'everything'. Sometimes getting what we want in the moment isnt good at all. And sometimes, what we dont have in ourselves bonds us closer to others and gives them a sense of worth and belonging.

Still, im just a passer by :)

You my friend, get it.

Whatever the hell 'it' is, you get it.

Danarchist wrote: »
    If they would upgrade the bloody graphics for Asheron's Call 1 I would have never tried this game, or the last ten exactly like it that came out. That game was hands down the best MMO experience I have ever had, I am still buying game after game trying to recreate the experience. If I could just stand the lego like (but far far worse) graphics I would be playing it still.
    Fond memories of stashing all my gear on an alt (via a tense hide stuff in a corner, log out/in, loot stuff out of corner process) and running out into the wild naked to murder as many things as I could. Usually came back packed to the gills with gear and some minor trauma of shadow's chasing me for miles at a time.

Post makes me remember my fav MMO, that i would still be playing today(even though i have been a TES fan since i played Daggerfall with my college roomy, looking over his shoulder while he manned the keyboard) if the company hadn't sold its soul....
  • Aoifesan
    Aoifesan
    ✭✭✭
    Pewpie wrote: »
    I'm not even going to get into the class comparisons, but just as a general rule, I would never, ever, support a system that allows class change at any cost. Some decisions need to be meaningful.
    WHY?

Can you give a single good reason why you should not be able to change your class?

You've spent your life devoted to a certain set of skills. Let's Call it a bachelor of science degree.

Laws change and you now want to be more theatrical and do plays and stuff.

You really do have to put up with a whole raft of people looking at the scientist that wants to be a playwright. It will take a LONG time for that to disappear, and ONLY if you re-establish yourself as a decent playwright.

This is what ALTS are for in these games.
  • Aoifesan
    Aoifesan
    ✭✭✭
    Cogo wrote: »
    Oh, I was under the impression that you could upgrade your acount to an imperial edition? If I am wrong about that, you have my appologizes.

The fact still stands, you choose, live with with it. Dont like it, choose another class/race.

You can upgrade your account to Imperial edition, sure.
    However, mind the difference between an Imperial Edition Account and an Imperial Race Character.

I play a Breton in the Aldmeri Dominion because I pre-ordered.
    If you didn't pre-order, having an Imperial Account will not enable you to do the same.

If you didn't pre-order, only creating an Imperial Character will enable you to choose your alliance.
    Plenty of games to play , im for sure not going to pay one to get bored.

I keep my opinion , got tired of templar , im out the door

We're all here to have fun. I feel you may be robbing yourself by not giving the game another try, but I'm not in your shoes. If you do get a better kick somewhere else ... well indeed, there's no reason to stay.

Not true imperials can play wherever they want. You are thinking of the explorer edition which is any race any faction. That was pre-order only.
  • Tiberius_
    Tiberius_
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... I'd like to see what percentage of the players opposed to this idea are DKs and what percentage of the players in favor are not DKs...

But this thread is not intended to be an indictment of class balance (and ZOS is already aware of these issues)

I'm just saying that the whole concept of class is not in line with previous ES games. When they announced classes, I was disappointed, but assumed they would not be such a major factor in character build. Boy was I wrong.

And everyone saying I need to level an alt all the way to V10... GG - I'll just let my sub expire if that's my only option, and you can enjoy continuing PvP with only the people who are still around since they rolled a DK as their main.
    Edited by Tiberius_ on May 20, 2014 6:29PM
  • FunkyBudda
    FunkyBudda
    ✭✭✭
    Tiberius_ wrote: »
    Hmmm... I'd like to see what percentage of the players opposed to this idea are DKs and what percentage of the players in favor are not DKs...

But this thread is not intended to be an indictment of class balance (and ZOS is already aware of these issues)

I'm just saying that the whole concept of class is not in line with previous ES games. When they announced classes, I was disappointed, but assumed they would not be such a major factor in character build. Boy was I wrong.

And everyone saying I need to level an alt all the way to V10... GG - I'll just let my sub expire if that's my only option, and you can enjoy continuing PvP with only the people who are still around since they rolled a DK as their main.

people need to stop acting like kids, threatening to cancel subscription because you cant change your class? THe problem with ESO is that it is not very alt friendly due the VR content grind. GW2 doesnt allow you to change class, but you can very easily create an alt and level up fast to enjoy it.
  • devolutedub17_ESO
    devolutedub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Sure, but you have to start over at level 1.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FunkyBudda wrote: »

people need to stop acting like kids, threatening to cancel subscription because you cant change your class? THe problem with ESO is that it is not very alt friendly due the VR content grind. GW2 doesnt allow you to change class, but you can very easily create an alt and level up fast to enjoy it.

In GW2 i had 3 top lvl chars.

1, I lvled normally doing quests...

2, I lvled till mid lvl (40) then went the rest using crafting professions , since each profesion you master gave you 10 lvls.

You could actually lvl a char from 1 to 80 using only the crafting professions.

There is nothing childish about this either , im (like others) just informing zen of a simple fact , if i get tired and decide to quit playing my templar , i will quit their game , not lvl an alt.

It is that simple.

They can react to this in anyway they want, but i will quit when this happens. I wont pay a game to get bored by it , all there is to it.

PS: We are not foolish , nobody is saying the game is going to die unless they add this , people like you and many others dont care , you will keep paying for it. Zen will just lose some subs , all there is to it.
    Edited by Nox_Aeterna on May 20, 2014 7:00PM
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Tiberius_
    Tiberius_
    ✭✭✭

It's not a threat; I'm just offering my perspective as a more casual player for whom restarting the 300+ hour journey to V10 is not an option.

I'm not asking for a class change for free. I don't like the idea of changing classes frequently either, but given the current conditions of class skills being far superior to weapon/guild/world skills and that leveling requires doing like 600 quests AGAIN, there does need to be some very expensive option available.

You can hate us casuals all you want but you NEED us to fuel your enjoyment of this game so that you have someone to feel superior to. I know that sounds snyde, but you know it's true.
    Edited by Tiberius_ on May 20, 2014 7:09PM
  • devolutedub17_ESO
    devolutedub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭

It's not a threat; I'm just offering my perspective as a more casual player for whom restarting the 300+ hour journey to V10 is not an option.

I'm not asking for a class change for free. I don't like the idea of changing classes frequently either, but given the current conditions of class skills being far superior to weapon/guild/world skills and that leveling requires doing like 600 quests AGAIN, there does need to be some very expensive option available.

You can hate us casuals all you want but you NEED us to fuel your enjoyment of this game so that you have someone to feel superior to. I know that sounds snyde, but you know it's true.

I am a casual, I do not support this message.
  • Tiberius_
    Tiberius_
    ✭✭✭

...because your main is a DK.
  • Aoifesan
    Aoifesan
    ✭✭✭

...because your main is a DK.

All of my Dragon Knight friends are jealous of my Night blade. Things that are killing them or making them resort to Light Armor for mana to do things I don't have to as I have siphon strikes, which even while bugged returns enough stuff to me to allow me to do things they simply cannot do.
  • Tiberius_
    Tiberius_
    ✭✭✭
    Aoifesan wrote: »

All of my Dragon Knight friends are jealous of my Night blade. Things that are killing them or making them resort to Light Armor for mana to do things I don't have to as I have siphon strikes, which even while bugged returns enough stuff to me to allow me to do things they simply cannot do.

Sorry this thread keeps getting sidetracked into a class balance discussion. That is not the point.

The point is that people should not be feeling "class jealousy" at all. The very idea that some skills are unavailable to you because of class choice goes against the appeal of Elder Scrolls games to many players.
  • Draconiuos
    Draconiuos
    ✭✭✭
    but given the current conditions of class skills being far superior to weapon/guild/world skills and that leveling requires doing like .

I have to disagree with this statement. I play a DK and decided at VR1 to take all my class skills off my bar and replace them with the Two-handed skill line. I kill things as fast if not faster and have almost same survivability as I did with my DK skills. I am still able to take on 3 VR mobs with little to no trouble.
    Edited by Draconiuos on May 20, 2014 10:48PM