The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Too many brick walls

badmojo
badmojo
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm not saying the game is too hard, I love hard. I'm just saying the game isn't consistent, there's no balance.

I'll give an example, I'm currently playing a level 33 NB with low (level 25ish) gear. I run around rivenspire having no trouble at all killing level 30+ enemies. During a quest I came to a level 30 gargoyle guarding the entrance to some ruins, I slayed him with minimal effort. Later in the same mission I am supposed to defend some guy and the second wave of enemies is one level 30 gargoyle, same level, same mob as I've already defeated easily. Except this time I can barely do 10% damage before he kills me.

What am I missing here? Why do I get so bored of the combat in over world, because it's painfully easy, then I come to a mission with the same guys and it's painfully difficult? That's just not consistent and makes me not enjoy the game.

I don't think we should be able to even make it to these types of enemies if we aren't strong enough to defeat them. In my eyes the overworld should be where you perfect your build/strategy, not just filler until you find the next difficult quest.
[DC/NA]
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open world should be there to help you learn your mechanics but we don't need no education.

It should be there to help you think up tactics but we don't need no thought control.

All in all it's another brick in the wall.
  • ErykGrimm
    ErykGrimm
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you shouldn't out level your gear by 8 levels. It is likely broken as well. If you are finding such inconsistencies, it is likely because you are not blocking, dodging or interrupting. You should make a new character and try the tutorial. Good luck in your adventures Vestige.
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I shouldn't out level my gear, then why does only 1% of the enemies in the game hold me to that standard? What's the point in constantly crafting/finding new gear, if I don't actually need it for 8 levels?

My point is the game should force the player to constantly improve their gear in order to progress to the next quests. Having a game where people can get to the end of a quest with ease only to face an impossible to beat enemy is just bad design. If I can't beat the quest with my current setup, I want to struggle to even get past the first few enemies in that quest.

I let my gear fall 8 levels behind me specifically because it was getting too easy. If the difficulty between boss/quest fights and overworld enemies was actually balanced against each other, I wouldn't find it so easy, therefore I wouldn't hit these brick walls all the time.

I want a gentle incline, but from my experience so far ESO offers me a bunch of plateaus with vertical cliffs every 10 or so levels.
    [DC/NA]
  • demendred
    demendred
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did someone say...brick...house?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBx6mAWYPU
    All good Nords goto Sto'Vo'Kor.
  • mips_winnt
    mips_winnt
    ✭✭✭
    badmojo wrote: »
    I'm not saying the game is too hard, I love hard. I'm just saying the game isn't consistent, there's no balance.

I'll give an example, I'm currently playing a level 33 NB with low (level 25ish) gear. I run around rivenspire having no trouble at all killing level 30+ enemies. During a quest I came to a level 30 gargoyle guarding the entrance to some ruins, I slayed him with minimal effort. Later in the same mission I am supposed to defend some guy and the second wave of enemies is one level 30 gargoyle, same level, same mob as I've already defeated easily. Except this time I can barely do 10% damage before he kills me.

What am I missing here? Why do I get so bored of the combat in over world, because it's painfully easy, then I come to a mission with the same guys and it's painfully difficult? That's just not consistent and makes me not enjoy the game.

I don't think we should be able to even make it to these types of enemies if we aren't strong enough to defeat them. In my eyes the overworld should be where you perfect your build/strategy, not just filler until you find the next difficult quest.

It's hard to be certain since I don't have all the details (you didn't specify the quest title) but I suspect you're on the quest where you're supposed to kite the gargoyle through the 3? (4?) statues so he destroys them, which is the quest objective. If so once you do that and he destroys all the statues he's easy to kill.

• badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think so, the quest just says "Defend (some guy)".
    [DC/NA]
  • stevenpotter321b14_ESO
    DC quest area, protecting a vampire so that he can help another vampire? If yes, let the gargoyle chase you to the statues and he'll break em

edit: if yes, I could swear the quest tooltip mentions using gargoyle on the statues
    Edited by stevenpotter321b14_ESO on May 20, 2014 2:11AM
  • pborerb16_ESO
    pborerb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so, the quest just says "Defend (some guy)".
    Well, then I think that's indeed the quest mips_winnt is referring to. It's in the Doomcrag questline, isn't it? Had me confused, too! I fought and fought this gargoyle and couldn't kill him - yes, the quest says "Defend XYZ", if I remember correctly, but there's a hint that you have to kite the gargoyle through the statues, which I had overlooked. So, it turns out not to be a particularly hard fight after all, just a bit of unexpected complexity ;)
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What am I missing here?
    Does his health bar have little chevrons next to it on both sides? If so, the number of chevrons (up to three) indicates the additional boss level of the mob in question.

So even if it is a level 30 gargoyle, one without chevrons will be much easier than one with those next to their health bar.
    ;-)
  • Brutalis
    Brutalis
    ✭✭
    My only suggestion to anyone feeling like this is, you get a lot of skill points... use them. There's a reason they give you so many.

If you cant do this kind of stuff at 50 and below, then i expect you to quit once you hit the veteran ranks.

Understand ESO isnt like "that" MMO you have been playing for the last 5 years and if you have never played MMO's then understand this is a lot different from Skyrim.
    A Roman walks into a bar and hold up two fingers and says, "I'll have five beers please."
  • Azarul
    Azarul
    ✭✭✭✭
    This has to be the quest with the statues I would think. I didn't realize it also because it wasn't set as my current quest so I didn't see the quest tip on the side of the screen. He didnt kill me, but I also couldn't kill him to save my life.
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like I need to read those grayed out tips more, thanks for the help.
    [DC/NA]