The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

To Much Console Not Enough Computer?

Sacklunch
Sacklunch
✭✭
I think that this game is far to much like a console game to be fun as a PC online MMO. Granted this is my opinion but I want to know how many other people agree or disagree with me. I noticed this first when I did the Beta testing but as a gamer that plays both console and pc games the distinctions where very easy to see in this game.

For starters as most people are aware there are ten action buttons, two directional buttons, and four item/inventory buttons on just about any console game(in the last decade or so anyway). Now in this PC version of this game there are ten combat action options; five skills, one pot, one ultimate, a standard attack, block, and interrupt. There are two directional interfaces; a move key plus the mouse(all be it this is kind of a base option) and a lot of item/inventory buttons(at least there is this).

I like pc games more than console games for a lot of different reasons. The top two are simply game graphics as most console games are published without the ability to run in an HD format, and the advanced PC user interface most computer games have.

I feel very much that Zenimax simply tweaked a console UI a little bit put it in a PC game and then went "this is a new minimalistic design". I find nothing new about the UI as it has been used in console gaming since the addition of triggers to a controller. If they simply wanted to minimize the UI to enhance game immersion why not simply add a hide UI option to the game, oh wait that's already there. Also I do not understand how having a lack of choice adds at all to the immersion of a game? Maybe someone can explain this concept as I believe choice is a very large factor in immersion as in real life all we have are choices and I don't think that anyone will argue that life is not immersive.

There are many other examples(rotary menus, lack of point and click combat) but this post is long enough with just the UI comparisons. Any way I want to know if I am the only one who feels this way so let me know.....

• rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to admit I do like the UI.

I hate having a screen clogged up with crap.

I'm also incredibly bored with point and click combat. It's been done to death, it's stale. I made a vow never to play another tab target, action bars out the ears, mini map invading my screen, silly health bar with my characters face on it, MMO ever again.

There are already far too many of those around. They don't need to make this into another one.
  • Spiritreaver_ESO
    Spiritreaver_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You are not the only one to not like the UI and it has been done to death by both sides, for and against.

My advice: Take the game for what it is. Give it a shot to fill out into whatever it is going to be. If you don't like it then, move on. Or if you get used to it stay.

Seriously, there is just too much obsessing over things that may or may not change until after the game has had a change to effectively leave its infancy imo.

Afterthought: Go google Paul Sage and TESO and find the post he did during beta sometime. He lays out the reasoning behind some of the devs design choices. I think i remember a poster here c/p'ing it recently in another thread as well.
    Edited by Spiritreaver_ESO on May 20, 2014 6:43PM
  • JJDrakken
    JJDrakken
    ✭✭✭
    I am seeing this game as a current time sink(even then that could probably not last long at the rate *** is storming around in this game)till The Witcher 3 & Dragon Age: Inquisition. Maybe some Multi-player games.

I am already looking down the road, hope the spiritual successor to City of Heroes(City of Titans)will finally bring my love back to me. :)
    Leader of Oblivion Crisis. Bunch of Daedric Worshiping MF's. We'll Bang Ok.