The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Slow in cities

Gaulomatic
When entering a city or any other place where many characters are around my FPS drops down to 20-30. Not very well. Using Bootcamp there are no such issues.

Specs:
Resolution 2560x1440
Mac Pro 2012
nVidia GTX 680 / 2G
32 GB RAM
256 GB SSD

I have tried the default OS X drivers as well as nVidia's 331 (10.9.2) and 334 (10.9.3). This game is performing poor but I am not sure if it is a driver or (Hero-) engine related issue.

Another issue is the frame rate drop if played in full screen. This will half the FPS. I can get around this by using SIMBL and Maximizer but - mhmm.
Edited by Gaulomatic on May 18, 2014 6:03PM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gaulomatic wrote: »
    When entering a city or any other place where many characters are around my FPS drops down to 20-30. Not very well. Using Bootcamp there are no such issues.

Specs:
    Resolution 2560x1440
    Mac Pro 2012
    nVidia GTX 680 / 2G
    32 GB RAM
    256 GB SSD

I have tried the default OS X drivers as well as nVidia's 331 (10.9.2) and 334 (10.9.3). This game is performing poor but I am not sure if it is a driver or (Hero-) engine related issue.

Another issue is the frame rate drop if played in full screen. This will half the FPS. I can get around this by using SIMBL and Maximizer but - mhmm.
    First thing to say is that the Mac Pro dual CPU is not officially supported but you don't give CPU details.

In cities you have a lot more data for the GPU to handle and load to memory. This is why memory crash time can reduce in crowded places and especially in PvP. Whether Mac or PC client FPS will drop. The amount may vary on efficiency of PC drivers though you are able to use latest Nvidia ones anyhow so it shouldn't be that different.

20-30 FPS is not abnormal depending on graphics settings which you don't mention and this will be a factor. Riding through a city my iMac will be that as it's constantly loading data on gird. Once stationary with Ultra High (Shadow Quality Medium) 2560 x 1440 resolution it's around 35-45 FPS at peak times. Outside cities it is around 45-60 FPS. Dungeons can be 60-80 FPS.

To confirm ESO does not use any Hero Engine code in the actual game engine. It is used only for conceptual mock ups etc. in the early design stage but not for the actual game engine.

You have other problem if your FPD drops by half switching between Fullscreen and Maximised/ Window mode. The difference for me is a few FPS. For others especially with a Retina display the difference may be bigger but not that big in general on Mac or PC client.

Currently the PC client does not have true Fullscreen like the Mac so that has some bearing. And Vsync should always be OFF as it will cap FPS as it is double buffering and only if you have consistent FPS over 60 which is not likely with Ultra High. This may be a reason why you have such a drop because Vsync only actually works in true Fullscreen like on the Mac client. On the PC client even selected it wont work until they implement it.

You should have no need for stuff like Maximiser via SIMBL unless you really want to run it as true maximised (edge to edge) but it wont have Vsync so again the reason.

Generally to improve performance you want to reduce Shadow Quality down as it is the biggest impact. View Distance especially in towns can have a big impact (Ultra High default is 62) and should not be moved above the default setting and moved down if needed which can help (less to load to grid) Then switch off any effects you prefer. AA is FXAA and will save a few FPS as will most of the other settings depending on location.

Try these and see how it helps. Definitely Vsync off if not already. From my testing on Mac client and PC via Bootcamp I noted little difference in performance. The difference is with memory management where it can work better on PC as the Mac client has a memory issue currently being worked on.
  • mcfaen
    mcfaen
    I have the same problem as OP. And when I play on my mac there is a really bad lag all the time. It is worst in the cities when I am crafting, opening mail or selling stuff. Buyback option is used all the time. This does not happen when I play on windows computer on the same wired connection. The time it takes from clicking deconstruct or make something is about half a second before anything happens.

iMac - 27-inch, Late 2012
    Processor 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
    Software OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
    Resolution 2560 x 1440
    HDD: 1,12 TB Fusion Drive
    Edited by mcfaen on May 20, 2014 10:17AM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    mcfaen wrote: »
    I have the same problem as OP. And when I play on my mac there is a really bad lag all the time. It is worst in the cities when I am crafting, opening mail or selling stuff. Buyback option is used all the time. This does not happen when I play on windows computer on the same wired connection. The time it takes from clicking deconstruct or make something is about half a second before anything happens.

iMac - 27-inch, Late 2012
    Processor 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
    Software OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
    Resolution 2560 x 1440
    HDD: 1,12 TB Fusion Drive
    When in crafting, quest dialogue etc. the FPS drops down by design but is not directly linked to lag as such.

Really not sure why you would have lag on Mac and not on the PC. What are your Video Settings ?

Personally I rarely have lag when crafting etc. Occasionally I find weirdly, it seems a bit worse on server later at night on Europe server so suspect it's actually peak time traffic as both servers are located in the same place in the USA. otherwise I don't experience this on the iMac 27 inch Late 2013. It has the better GPU but it wont make so much difference for this.

Perhaps there is some difference in network settings in OS X and Windows via Bootcamp.

Overall lag is mostly server side from other threads or from long distance connections. But can also happen any time and mostly peak hours. It also depends on which instance and can be a lot worse in PvP from reports.

The other thing to check is Addons which can cause a range of issues and some will impact actions etc. Always worth disabling all addons when testing issues.