Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

How does everyone feel about Veteran Rank 15?

harnessedyeti9
harnessedyeti9
✭✭✭
Just watched the new video about grouping posted on the home page and was surprised (but not very) to see the chars. are VR13. Also have heard rumors that the cap is going to be increased to VR15 before too long, Update 1.1 maybe?

It seems that for all the leveling we're having to do the devs. are streaming the content out pretty thin. Really, really thin.

Anyone?
  • Alpha_Protocol
    Alpha_Protocol
    ✭✭✭
    Would you feel better if they just made you play for another two years as level 50 without gaining a single point of experience? Instead, every six months new dungeons with harder encounters and better gear would magically appear?

Then after two years you would have to complete an equivalent of the 1-50 grind, except we'll call it level 60... the new cap.

How does linear versus horizontal progression really matter? Are players lulled into a false sense of security and accomplishment by grinding horizontally across a flat plane of progression?

Edit: really, really thin... After six weeks you're this disappointed?
    Edited by Alpha_Protocol on May 17, 2014 2:00PM
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People dont want to upgrade a full suit of gear to legendary only to have it worthless in a few weeks.
  • Alpha_Protocol
    Alpha_Protocol
    ✭✭✭
    Sakiri wrote: »
    People dont want to upgrade a full suit of gear to legendary only to have it worthless in a few weeks.

I agree but...

1) we have no idea what the rate of content release or progression will actually be.

2) the seemingly premature VR cap increase probably has more to do with balancing gear with pending content releases than anything else.

3) upgrading to legendary gear within six weeks after release tells me the game is far too easy already.

4) if that's the case, it may be inconvenient but obviously more legendary upgrades won't be that difficult to come by.
    Edited by Alpha_Protocol on May 17, 2014 5:52PM
  • Morimizo
    Morimizo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, as long as new areas are consistently being introduced, I want to always be able to improve my character while experiencing these new sections. If Veteran ranks go to, say, 20, and then there is Expert for 20, and then ultimately Master with no cap, why not? Always improve. Of course new skill lines need to be offered as well (like Spell and Jewelry Crafting!), but it really just comes down to documenting your journey, doesn't it? Where your chr has been? What he/she has been through? The "level" number is just the simplest symbol of this, and shouldn't fully describe the build or the skill of the player. I've always been very frustrated with games that have hard level caps easily reached before story elements are completed, and see something like "NO EXP" after every kill and quest.

As far as getting access to new type of gear, I'm all for it. I enjoy the crafting very much, and even if improvement materials are scarce or expensive in guild stores, I just replace pieces when they supercede the currently equipped piece. Your legendary suit of VR10 armor and two weapons to match are by no means worthless in VR11 areas, and probably wouldn't be outclassed for 5 or more levels. I bet by then you'll have discovered a new armor that's even more aesthetically pleasing than what you have, and most of the improvement materials to use. If not, there are many crafters like myself that might be able to make what you need!

To reinforce @Alpha_Protocol comment, why would you want to complete the game in six weeks? Have the top-end gear with nothing left to look forward to? Not this one.
  • harnessedyeti9
    harnessedyeti9
    ✭✭✭
    Would you feel better if they just made you play for another two years as level 50 without gaining a single point of experience? Instead, every six months new dungeons with harder encounters and better gear would magically appear?

Then after two years you would have to complete an equivalent of the 1-50 grind, except we'll call it level 60... the new cap.

How does linear versus horizontal progression really matter? Are players lulled into a false sense of security and accomplishment by grinding horizontally across a flat plane of progression?

Edit: really, really thin... After six weeks you're this disappointed?

Read my post again. I'm not complaining about the cap increase. I'm complaining about the incongruence between cap and the amount of content to said cap.

Are you telling me you simply want less content and options per level?
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I agree but...

1) we have no idea what the rate of content release or progression will actually be.

2) the seemingly premature VR cap increase probably has more to do with balancing gear with pending content releases than anything else.

3) upgrading to legendary gear within six weeks after release tells me the game is far too easy already.

4) if that's the case, it may be inconvenient but obviously more legendary upgrades won't be that difficult to come by.

No, they're kind of a pain in the arse to get actually if you didn't use the guild bank dupe or have a load of gold. You need over 50 of them to do a full set. I have 4 bs, 7 ww, 2 cloth. If you want 100% chance to not waste all of your materials, you need a *lot* of upgrade materials.

People don't want to waste them on something that's going to be upgraded tomorrow because by the time they got that item they were looking for, oh hey look, it's been a month. Time to up the level cap again!
  • Alpha_Protocol
    Alpha_Protocol
    ✭✭✭
    Read my post again. I'm not complaining about the cap increase. I'm complaining about the incongruence between cap and the amount of content to said cap.

Are you telling me you simply want less content and options per level?

I understand, my point to that was the devs may have realized some players may need to over-level some of the soon to be released content in order to complete it. In other words, some people might need to be VR12+ to complete some of the Trials.
    No, they're kind of a pain in the arse to get actually if you didn't use the guild bank dupe or have a load of gold. You need over 50 of them to do a full set. I have 4 bs, 7 ww, 2 cloth. If you want 100% chance to not waste all of your materials, you need a *lot* of upgrade materials.

People don't want to waste them on something that's going to be upgraded tomorrow because by the time they got that item they were looking for, oh hey look, it's been a month. Time to up the level cap again!

I'm sure they don't come easy, and I've already considered that this may have been the best way to get rid of alot of those duped items.
    Edited by Alpha_Protocol on May 17, 2014 8:04PM
  • harnessedyeti9
    harnessedyeti9
    ✭✭✭
    If you think about it in terms of pre 50 leveling, with every Vet rank 10 levels or so, what you have at VR 15 is equivalent to level 200. Who in their right mind increases the cap that much not even two months post release with only one tiny new zone that can count as content. Pathetic.
  • tanthil
    tanthil
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly its filler content.. forcing us to go through leveling again with each small content update to make it seem bigger. People will get fed up with this very very fast.

I have severe doubts about their ability to make an mmorpg like this work, but im not too mad, i had these doubts coming in and i don't expect any new mmorpg to really hook me anymore.

But yea, these guys have gone way overboard on the filler content, forcing us to run around the map for single quests,talk to 7 people and forcing us to listen to every conversation. I understand some people are really in to the story and enjoy these conversations but other are really in to the game play aspect of it all(every other game understands this and has made cut scenes you CAN skip), you know fighting mobs and using your abilities and such, which is something we do for about 10% of our questing experience.

Funny that what they think is good for the game (adding more levels) is actually making me want to walk away from it, as I'm not really enjoying the leveling process at all, for me its always been something you have to do in a game and are damn happy when its done because you can finally enjoy the content you have worked so hard to get to(although theres been games were i have actually enjoyed it, like say TSW. but ESO is my worst experience so far) ...... seems I'm just working towards more leveling
    Edited by tanthil on May 18, 2014 3:55PM