Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Resto Staff Sorceror

Makarion
Makarion
✭✭
I'm currently level 18 as a resto staff sorceror, and I'm having a bit of trouble healing groups through the dungeons. Soloing is a doddle of course, and so are public dungeons, but the proper ones can be iffy, due to a lack of direct heals. It's ok when my ult is available, but boss fights without the atronach are painful. Suggestions?
  • METALPUNKS
    METALPUNKS
    ✭✭✭
    His your bar or bars set up? Need that first.
  • serenity_painted
    serenity_painted
    ✭✭✭
    You can stack several grand healing spells on top of each other, alot of people tend to miss that and it increases healing alot in a pinch.

And sometimes it's just not your fault, if people aren't paying attention and standing in aoes or aren't blocking attacks they need to block, they messed up and you're now covering their mistake.

Everyone makes mistakes ofcourse but some people never learn and you can't heal stupid.
  • Tadhg_Longhouse
    Tadhg_Longhouse
    ✭✭✭
    Healing requires your teammates to position themselves well as much as you managing your magicka to heal when needed.

If everyone is spread out then the only way to efficiently heal will be the HoT. Everyone should focus on fighting in front of the healer as much as possible and also using their self-heal abilities if they need to fight away from the healer. It should not be the healer's job to chase individual players around.

If you use dark exchange you might find managing your magicka easier.
    Edited by Tadhg_Longhouse on May 11, 2014 9:53AM
    Tadhg Longhouse
    Reachman Sorcerer
    Aldmeri Dominion
  • METALPUNKS
    METALPUNKS
    ✭✭✭
    Positioning is huge. There is always that one player who is way off to the side and complaining that there healer sucks because they keep dying. I've learned ways to keep those players healed but it makes my job so much harder. Sometimes you can't always be in the perfect position but the majority of the time you should be.
  • Jeremy_gelber_ESO
    Jeremy_gelber_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    some idiots just like to stand in the red circles and wont ever figure out how to block. the 1st boss i pleasantly remind everyone about it.
    the second boss im more aggressive but still civil.
    by the 3rd boss i just let them die.

its one thing to be caught unawares. its another to intentionally ignore incoming damage..
  • Talmet
    Talmet
    ✭✭✭
    some idiots just like to stand in the red circles and wont ever figure out how to block. the 1st boss i pleasantly remind everyone about it.
    the second boss im more aggressive but still civil.
    by the 3rd boss i just let them die.

its one thing to be caught unawares. its another to intentionally ignore incoming damage..

But they can't move! They are DPS, and moving hurts their DPS...I know they can move and attack/cast...but it's just not cool. They are DPS, they stand still and kill the boss. You are healer, you heal them.

Completely seriously, a long long time ago I had a DPS player tell me something very similar to that about why he never moved out of AoE damage when I asked him why he kept dying...his exact words were something like "I can't move and DPS at the same time S#$%head, it's your job to heal me, stop failing & L2P" After that, I had a fun time watching him die every pull till he rage quit...
  • Neutronium_Dragon
    Neutronium_Dragon
    ✭✭✭
    Since you're playing as a sorcerer, have you gained access to Critical Surge or its unmorphed predecessor? While Critical Surge is nice for the self-healing, the general damage boost provided by even the base skill will help with the Restoration Staff's splash healing, and that's actually a big part of healing output in this game. Cycle of Life in the Resto line itself is another one. (Yes, boosting your weapon damage makes you heal better!)

Also, don't be afraid to toss out non-healing spells that can help the group. Sorcerers have some strong control powers, and those can stop a lot of damage from landing in the first place.
  • ShadowWolf613
    ShadowWolf613
    ✭✭✭
    It's all about positioning. As a NB resto healer Ill tray and stay behind the others. (easier to tell who's who and who needs the healing.) But when your with random people in a dungeon people like to run all over the place and when they do that it leads me to search on who needs the healing cause there all over the place. My set up is.

1: swallow soul 2: blessing of restoration 3: Grand healing. 4: force siphon 5: mage light

I do pretty good at keeping up the group. Ill make sure the people who are in melee range ill cast grand healing on them. If there health drops below 50 percent i will use blessing of restoration. And any range ill use blessing of restoration unless the boss or whatever goes to them where ill cast grand healing.

I'm level 29. My magicka and magicka recovery are overcharged. So is my spell resistance. I wear 7 pieces of light Armour. I think I have two sets on. I'm a bit under geared i believe. Still have the warlock set on :P

Just remember if someone dies it is not always your fault. Most of the time it's not your fault. Its people who dont understand to block or move out of the way. Just continue trying you'll get use to it and you'll get better with practice!

• Makarion
    Makarion
    ✭✭
    Well, I've tried it a bit more, but decided to respec my sorceror to a dps, and make a NB healer. So far, I'm way happier with my NB in that role than I was with the sorceror. Sure, soloing a NB healer is painful (very low dps), but in groups it all pays of. Better dps while healer as well as more healing tools, especially a better ultimate to my surprise.