The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Damage Delivery by mobs

Crescent
Crescent
✭✭✭✭
I think this game commits the same significant error most action MMORPG's have committed as of late when it comes to damage delivery by some mobs.

That is, the autoattack damage, with little tell or windup from a mob, does immense amounts of damage relative to a player's health pool.

What this means is that if a person doesn't want to get 2-3 shot randomly, they have to spam block and activate abilities through block, because the attacks are not properly telegraphed.

The Storm Astronach mob is a large culprit here. People will think of his charge up attack, which to be fair is stupidly broken against melee players since block doesn't even work so well against it.

But the real problem with mobs like the astronach and veteran caster mobs who do fast, untelegraphed autoattacks that hit for large amounts makes for poor gameplay.

Tanking in this game or even damage avoidance is not about skillfully dodging abilities or interrupting them. The way it actually works is that if the mob is CC'able, you want to CC it 24/7 to avoid the bucketloads of constant damage it does, and if it can't be CC'd you basically have to hold block and keep it taunted.

Holding block constantly is not an engaging way to combat let alone tank. The damage from autoattacks needs to be vastly reduced, and instead that damage should be moved to telegraphed charged up strikes. So that when you block damage it is skill based instead of keeping up block all the time in hope one of those random quick swings lands while you are blocking.
  • Halrloprillalar
    Halrloprillalar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those stupid giants in Eastmarch are also a culprit. I can solo them on my sorc, but it involves a lot of running and teleporting, and is just generally a royal pain in the ***

In dungeons it makes sense though, because if you are a tank, it is kind of expected that you do tanky things (taunt and block) vs. key mobs, while the whole group cc's and kills trash.

• Alpha_Protocol
    Alpha_Protocol
    ✭✭✭
    I hate telegraphs, I wish there was a better way. Normal attacks shouldn't be telegraphed. Period.
  • mousekime111rwb17_ESO
    I agree with this, mostly - damage most certainly needs to be shifted from auto attacks onto abilities for most mobs - ESPECIALLY ranged caster bosses
  • Crescent
    Crescent
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate telegraphs, I wish there was a better way. Normal attacks shouldn't be telegraphed. Period.

I'm not asking normal attacks to be telegraphed.

I'm asking that attacks which take out over a third of your HP bar on a character with softcapped armor and 2k HP (49 points invested in health) be telegraphed.

That is, move the damage from autoattacks into charged up attacks.

And in the case of some mobs like the storm astronach, nerf their damage altogether because it's ridiculously high.

That aoe radial wind blast they do is pretty much hell for melee because all the projectiles spawn close and in the proces of walking out to try and dodge them you can eat 2 of them and lose over 2/3 of your HP WHILE BLOCKING.

The damage of some mobs on this game has led to the current state of the game. A bunch of shield bash spammers and DK's or ranged playstyles like sorcerer because mob damage simply murders non-shield melee playstyles.