Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Tall bretons

Eldenjar
Eldenjar
Soul Shriven
Well hello there ESO comunity...
i have a little RP question, i know bretons are very short.. but is there a possibility lore wise that a breton can be tall? (nearly as tall as a common altmer)
Thanks!
Eldenjar
  • Abigail
    Abigail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, excess secretion of the Growth Hormone would cause giantism in young Bretons or acromegaly in adults.

You could also go with the ubiquitous rationale that the subject's mother was Nord (maternal racial traits are always dominant in the ES world).

Or you could just go with statistical outliers; i.e. 10 percent of individuals in a population will be significantly shorter and, conversely 10 percent will be significantly taller.

Of course, you could just get creative and say he/she ate some magic beans or fell asleep on a pile of daedra poo, thus resulting in the altitudinal advantage.
  • RustyBlades
    RustyBlades
    ✭✭✭
    My bosmer is an alchemist and still hasn't found the right mix of herbs and spices to not only make Bretons much taller, but also one that makes Bretons look like someone just hadn't walked on their lawn.
  • Sergeant_Novak
    Sergeant_Novak
    ✭✭✭
    "Very short"

I thought Bretons were generally about average height. At least the npc scaling in other TES games suggested this.

Edit: I looked into this a little, according to Skyrim scaling Bretons have the shortest females(with female khajiits), but males are by default average of height: 1. Not sure if Skyrim is considered chief on height averages in lore right now, but that's the best I got.
    Edited by Sergeant_Novak on May 5, 2014 8:50PM
    Kol Blakmarc - Dwemer Archeologist, Mage, Not such a great dancer
  • Captainkrunch96
    Captainkrunch96
    ✭✭✭
    They seem to be normal sized to me, not hobbits. I never heard of any lore that said "NO TALL BRETONS!", and I am a huge lore guy. So yeah, make them tall as you please.

EDIT: after re-readig your post, I doubt they could be as tall as a common altmer, unless they had some Giantism as @Abigail said.

EDIT 2:Also, they could be half altmer I suppose.
    Edited by Captainkrunch96 on May 6, 2014 11:09AM
  • Kaeylum
    Kaeylum
    They seem to be normal sized to me, not hobbits. I never heard of any lore that said "NO TALL BRETONS!", and I am a huge lore guy. So yeah, make them tall as you please.

EDIT: after re-readig your post, I doubt they could be as tall as a common altmer, unless they had some Giantism as @Abigail said.

EDIT 2:Also, they could be half altmer I suppose.

I thought, and certainly correct me if I'm wrong, that Bretons already had Altmer blood in them. What with the Altmer once ruling High Rock. Unless you mean one of their parents was an Altmer.
  • Captainkrunch96
    Captainkrunch96
    ✭✭✭
    @Kaeylum Yes I was reffering to having an altmer parent or grand parent. While techinically yes they have Altmer blood this was after generations of breeding. Remember, if a nord and an altmer... do their thing they dont pop out a breton. the breton race was after generations of(probably forcefully) mating with altmer(Dirreni).
  • Eldenjar
    Eldenjar
    Soul Shriven
    thank you guys for all the answeres ^^ im very happy with my tall breton i feel im of an sort of superior race within the breton race that has a nord as a parent or have drank a potion of @RustyBlades! thank ya all for the comments :) and ofcourse 'don't forget to sharpen your sword'
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aldmer. Pretty sure it was the Aldmer before the divergence of types of mer.

Bretons arent half elves. Theyre... different. Man bred with mer and their kids bred with man and mer and now while classed as man, theyre elfblooded.

Its weird.
  • Eyil
    Eyil
    ✭✭
    Children inherit almost all traits of their mother's race, so being half altmer likely wouldn't change much. Maybe they'd be more adept with magic.

That said, I don't know why you'd want a breton that's that tall anyway. The racial height limits are more than enough, surely.
  • Shiaxi
    Shiaxi
    ✭✭✭
    I like my tiny Breton DK with her pretty face.

you can almost imagine dem dremora sniggering right up until the point she bashes their faces in with her shield :D
  • Eldenjar
    Eldenjar
    Soul Shriven
    @shiaxi i presume you are running a tank :D@Eyil if you create a breton thats nearly at max height its nearly as tall as an common altmer
  • Shiaxi
    Shiaxi
    ✭✭✭
    @Eldenjar indeed; pretty little breton in heavy armor