The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

do i have to disable my anti virus and firewall every time i want to play?

Jordaaa4n4
i have to disable them every 15 minutes or i get kicked off the game and its really annoying when i am in mid quest or with my friends and it times me out, so is there anyway around it because it is getting annoying now
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should not have to disable your firewall and anti-virus software every time you want to play the game. Submit a ticket to ZOS support with your specific router model and anti-malware software so they can tell you how to configure your hardware/software.

• Jordaaa4n4
    wrlifeboil wrote: »
    You should not have to disable your firewall and anti-virus software every time you want to play the game. Submit a ticket to ZOS support with your specific router model and anti-malware software so they can tell you how to configure your hardware/software.

they told me to do this
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They told you to configure your hardware/software or they told you to post on the forums?

Well, either way, that's what you need to do. Somewhere in your firewall and/or antivirus settings you can add exemptions for things. Just need to know where that is and put ESO in the list.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you can, go into your security software settings and make ESO an exception.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Jordaaa4n4
    Glurin wrote: »
    They told you to configure your hardware/software or they told you to post on the forums?

Well, either way, that's what you need to do. Somewhere in your firewall and/or antivirus settings you can add exemptions for things. Just need to know where that is and put ESO in the list.
    i was told to disable them so i could get onto the game
  • Heskey
    Heskey
    What issues are AV programs causing people?

I'm currently getting random crashes and being presented with the Crash Reporter, no matter what I'm doing.

I use ESET Smart Security 6 - I've now added ESO to its exception list.

Is the thinking that AV programs periodically kick people out of the game unless an exception is added or the AV is disabled?
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jordaaa4n4 wrote: »
    Glurin wrote: »

i was told to disable them so i could get onto the game

I'm assuming they told you to do this as a one-time troubleshooting step...always a bad idea to have AV or firewall disabled for any program, even if you intimately know what runs on your machine...

You should be able to put an exception in the firewall for ESO (or mark the folder/executable as Safe/Authorized). You should also be able to put your firewall and/or AV in GAME mode...

This should help, as unnecessary background scans/queries, etc will be held off until later. You might also check your running processes, as it may be one of them making the firewall/AV work harder, not the firewall/AV/ESO programs themselves.

There is also usually an event log of some sort with both types of programs...looking at it to see what is getting 'denied' is often the fastest way to find the specific culprit.

(I am assuming that when you disable one or both, your issue does not remain?)

One last item...many firewalls dabble in antivirus tech, many AV's dabble in part time firewalls...make sure your two pieces of software are not fighting with each other that way... One of each doing its own job and only its own job.

AV/Firewall issues are usually an all-or-nothing proposition. The fact that you can initially get access leads me to believe that it's likely a different program that may be interacting/interfering with the firewall/AV as indicated above.

Good luck.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jordaaa4n4 wrote: »
    wrlifeboil wrote: »

they told me to do this

It's the expedient way to get the game to run but it's not a good practice any time your computer is online.

If an online game requires me to turn off my firewall, I won't play it. I'd get a refund. That said, ZOS does provide the ports that you need to open to play the game. Tech support should be able to tell you how to open those ports in your firewall if crowdsourcing (information on the forums) doesn't.

Of course if you are behind a corporate firewall, that's a different situation.
  • sociald100ub17_ESO
    Yes I would just provide your os version and your firewall brand version and ask them what processes as well as any tcp / udp ports that need to be forwarded and/or exceptioned.
  • denicolad16_ESO
    Add ESO to your firewall exceptions list.

Control panel>allow a program or feature through windows firewall.

Make sure your AV is allowing the game too or turn on gaming mode. I use Avast and just keep gaming mode turned on all the time. I have never had an issue with any game.

Here are the ports I found in another thread.

TCP / UDP Ports 24100 through 24131
    TCP / UDP Ports 24500 through 24507
    TCP / UDP Ports 49100 through 54000
    ports for Launcher added 49100 > 54000