Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Templar problems vr10

nephitis
nephitis
✭✭
Hey Guys i have the feeling, that the damage a Templar can make is really low...
The spear for damage is a bad joke as well.

The armor buff with 15% heal really? this little tiny radius?

I also fightet often against dk in pvp.
I am full tank with shield and he full tank with shield.

he just slam me till my endurance is empty don t know why hes is not?
Make his damn cc flag i am dead. He have 100% hp.

What i want to say with my bad english sorry for that.
That Templar really is a bad class.

I have a thousand times more fun with my mage in pvp where i am like a god then with this class.

So please do something about it.
If you give a class damage spells, they should at least make some damage.

or is it funny to make 200-450 dps? while other classes make 900 - 1400
Templar is in many case broken.
And just good at healing
  • Aaren
    Aaren
    Rune focus could probably use some love, but Templars are fine over all. We can do great damage, easily competitive with other classes if you build well.

One on one you shouldn't be grossly outmatched by any class. DK's banner is maybe OP in that they can cast it often and it does group damage. Against only one enemy they don't get the ultimate gains to cast it often. Just roll out of it. You also have an ultimate. You have heals and dots and shield bash just like the DK you are describing. If he came out at 100% hp in a 1v1 he outplayed you.

If you post your build we may be able to provide constructive criticism and advice for specific situations.
    Edited by Aaren on May 14, 2014 12:38PM
  • ahspear37
    ahspear37
    ✭✭
    Aaren wrote: »
    If you post your build we may be able to provide constructive criticism and advice for specific situations.

This exactly. Templars are better suited for burst healers than HoT or anything of that sort. Therefore, in my opinion, you should save most of your magic bar for burst heals and try to use your stamina bar as much as possible. I'd also recommend speccing so that you have a healthy mix of stamina and magicka, and then run full heavy armor. I am also assuming that you are running a sword and board (if I'm wrong then whatever, two-handed wouldn't be too bad either). Here's my recommended build for a tanking Templar:

weap 1: Sword and board
    1. Crippling Slash
    2. Power Slam
    3. Unstoppable (Heavy Armor morph)
    4. Honor the Dead
    5. Radiant Aura
    Ult: Rite of Passage

swap: Sword and Board
    1. Puncture
    2. Crippling Slash
    3. Unstoppable
    4. Silver Bolts (fighter's guild morph for AoE)
    5. Ritual of Rebirth
    Ult: Rite of Passage

Tanking isn't my favorite, but this has been pretty viable for me, and healing draws more aggro if you are doing PvE. Just my suggestion. Happy hunting!
    Breton Bloodmage
    Breton Templar Crusader
    Daggerfall Covenant!
  • Dantonian_Rarstiana
    Templars are the best healers. Play to your strengths.
    If you thought you were going to make a character of the healing class and do a bunch of DPS like a sorc or tank like a DK, you were wrong.
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering most Dk's are stam based and they cant remove debuffs without the heavy cost of Purge from alliance tree, i dont see why you dont just Eclipse him to death with sunfire+radial sweep spam. A Dk is garbage against a templar, you just need the right load out.
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• Sarcen
    Sarcen
    Considering most Dk's are stam based and they cant remove debuffs without the heavy cost of Purge from alliance tree, i dont see why you dont just Eclipse him to death with sunfire+radial sweep spam. A Dk is garbage against a templar, you just need the right load out.

Eclipse him to death? are you kidding me.. that doesn't work against shield bash or basic attacks or aoe. Any competent player will also use the CC breaker to break out of Eclipse (yes, that is possible).

As full light armor templar with a lot of spell crit I easily outheal anyone in a 1v1, I honestly don't think there is a single class that can 1v1 a healing templar. (This coming from a vr10 templar that has 1v1'd 1v2'd many vr10 of all classes)

I feel that heavy armor just isn't viable for templars, because we have too many resource issues and heavy armor just makes it worse. We don't have a single way to regain resources (with the exception of the mages guild equilibrium which kills us because of the healing reduction after it), unlike every other class.
  • nephitis
    nephitis
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your help guys.
    I will try it later.

But to be honest.
    In PvE when you wanna play dps.
    How shall this work?

Vl10 mobbs if there are 3 if i don t use my shield i die in 2 seconds with heavy armor maybe it works better.

but for dungeons i don t know if i am maybe really bad but i make 300dps against nightblades who makes 900
    That just ruines my day.
  • ahspear37
    ahspear37
    ✭✭
    nephitis wrote: »
    Thanks for your help guys.
    I will try it later.

But to be honest.
    In PvE when you wanna play dps.
    How shall this work?

Vl10 mobbs if there are 3 if i don t use my shield i die in 2 seconds with heavy armor maybe it works better.

but for dungeons i don t know if i am maybe really bad but i make 300dps against nightblades who makes 900
    That just ruines my day.

If you are specced to tank then your goal should be to outlast enemies, not out-damage them. Again for this I recommend using Unstoppable (heavy armor morph) and to make use of your healing skills which will burst heal you. I do have to echo the sentiments of another poster on here though, which is that Templars really aren't the best class for tanks. I know the Devs promised that you could "play how you want" but at this state the game doesn't really allow for that. I'm sure that'll be addressed in future patches, but I think if you really, really want a viable tank then you should roll a DK.

Otherwise, you just need to remember that your magicka bar should be used sparingly for your heals, and that you should probably run full heavy armor with magicka enchantments. I would also recommend never switching from sword and board to tank unless you decide to switch up your role, and in that case I would go Two-handed for AoE damage. But overall, if you still plan on tanking, you pretty much HAVE to stick with 1-handed.

Sorry for the bad news, I just don't see Templars being super viable as tanks. The build works well for me but I have pretty much retired my Templar tank and have been playing a two-handed AoE oriented Templar that uses Stamina for AoE (two handed skills and silver shards) and the magicka bar for the health bursts, which has been much easier to play through for me.

Good luck with your build.
    Edited by ahspear37 on May 14, 2014 4:21PM
    Breton Bloodmage
    Breton Templar Crusader
    Daggerfall Covenant!
  • nephitis
    nephitis
    ✭✭
    I know that...
    but templar also is not a good dd either :/.

It can t be the goal just to heal as long till someone dies.
  • ahspear37
    ahspear37
    ✭✭
    nephitis wrote: »
    I know that...
    but templar also is not a good dd either :/.

It can t be the goal just to heal as long till someone dies.

I mean, it's probably not your preferred playing style, but honestly it's the best way to play a Templar. You have to go into a fight knowing that A. If you are specced to tank that you will have to run full heavy armor, sword and board and worry about your DPS, B. Spec to be an AoE/DPS (my Templar build), use a 2-handed weapon and run 5/2 Heavy/light and struggle with burning too much Stamina or Magicka or C. Spec to run 5/2 light/heavy or full light for a caster, use a resto staff and struggle with being squishy.

Overall, Templar's biggest weakness is resource management, which is think is harder than any other class in the game, even NB which I personally think is the hardest class to play. That being said, what I like about the Templar that is different from say the NB is the ability to "create" your own weakness, and then play against it. If you spec for Tank, you know damage will be your weakness, if you spec for AoE/DPS, you know your weakness will be balancing stamina and magicka use, and if you spec for caster you know surviving will be your weakness. In my mind, it's an advantage to build your character with a flaw you already know about, so that you can train yourself to play around it. Just my opinion though.
    Breton Bloodmage
    Breton Templar Crusader
    Daggerfall Covenant!
  • ahspear37
    ahspear37
    ✭✭
    Also - that's not to say there aren't more builds for a Templar. Those are just the three that I have personally tried with the best results so far.

If people have other builds I would be very curious to see them, I do not at all claim to be an expert on class builds.
    Breton Bloodmage
    Breton Templar Crusader
    Daggerfall Covenant!