The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Replicating Chat Channels across Characters, or making your own chat

zgrssd
zgrssd
✭✭✭✭
One thing that slightly annoys me (just enough to write an addon for it) is that each Character has it's own list of chat channels, each with thier own settings.
While it is not totally wrong for the average MMO, it is quite a problem for ESO where things like Guildmembership is done on account level.
I prefer having the default channel include NPC chat, having an extra group chat (only group, tell and NPC post there; for dungeons/group content).
And I will propably need a Guild-only chat (mayber per guild) once I get more then 1 active guild. I would really prefer it to set up my channels once and then just apply this setting to all characters. And the keep them synched across characters.
Until Zenimax adds such a feature, it might still be solveable via Addon and persited data.

Is see two appraoches
1) Somehow read out the current tabs (along with each channel). Persist that data. Reapply it on explicit order or automatically each time the Addon is loaded on a Character.

2) Writing your my chat
There are some other things I want to solve (like previous messages vanishing after you use /reloadui) wich a handwriten chat might solve. And I even figured out how to get and store the messages.
But it would propably be incompatible to most other chat addons and is quite a bit of work for this problem. So I would prefer 1) or any way to add tabs to the chat.
Elana Peterson (EU), Dominion, Imperial Sorc, Rune & Alchemy Crafting Char
Leonida Peterson (EU), Daggerfall, Kajiit Nightblade, Tank & main Crafter
Kurga Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Ork Dragonknight, Provision Mule
Coldblood Peterson (EU) Argonian Templer, Daggerfall, Healer
Incendia Peterson (EU), Dominion, Dunmer Dragonknight, fire DPS & healer
Haldor Belendor (EU), Ebonhart, Breton Sorcerer, Tank
Fuliminictus Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Altmer Sorcerer, Electric DPS

Me babbling about PvE roles and Armor, Short Guide to Addon Programming (for Programmers)

If you think anything I or somebody else said violates the Rules of this Forum, you are free to flag my posts. Till I get any notifcaion from this, I just asume you know you have no case against me or Zenimax disagrees with you.
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think I figured out how to do version 1) using the API.
    First there is a group of 10 "Chat Containers". Each chat container has a number of tabs.
    Edit: Actually there can be 0 too 10 containers. The count of containers is persisted even past logout and restart of the client. At 0 normal chat is not working and if you have a value of 0 during login the container for the normal chat get's created by default

There are (currently) 61 Chat Categories.
    For each category each tab can be either enabled or disabeled (wich propably means means wheter the Checkbox is set or not for this tab and this chat).

There is also the concept of chat channels but I am not sure what they mean. Propably they mean the output channel (as they are used in SendMessage).

If I understand it right one sends to Channels or persons (target argument of SendChatMessage).
    But receives in Categories. And what I want to set is wich tabs there are in any chat container and how each tab relates to each Category.
    Edited by zgrssd on May 13, 2014 1:53AM

Me babbling about PvE roles and Armor, Short Guide to Addon Programming (for Programmers)

If you think anything I or somebody else said violates the Rules of this Forum, you are free to flag my posts. Till I get any notifcaion from this, I just asume you know you have no case against me or Zenimax disagrees with you.
  • Cairenn
    Cairenn
    ✭✭✭
    There are a couple of different addons that you may want to check out, to help at least somewhat with the things you want:

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info463-RavenDTsChatLogger.html
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info233-ChatMultiWindow.html
    Cairenn
    Co-founder & Administrator
    ESOUI
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cairenn wrote: »
    There are a couple of different addons that you may want to check out, to help at least somewhat with the things you want:

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info463-RavenDTsChatLogger.html
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info233-ChatMultiWindow.html
    Those help in the long run.

But what I propably need most right now is a simple way to put out lines of text (to check the content of varriables including a rather large jagged array).
    I could not find any addon for this on esoui.com and my tries to add a TextBufferControl using modified xenimax exampel code but failed.
    I am working with a Label and manual connaction for now, wich is not very effective.

• Cairenn
    Cairenn
    ✭✭✭
    You should pop into the IRC channel. There's 30 or so folks in there at any given time, and they're all great at helping new authors learn. :)

irc.freenode.net
    #esouidev
    Cairenn
    Co-founder & Administrator
    ESOUI
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    [EDIT]:
    This used to be a lenghty piece of code I posted in hopes somebody would tell me what I was doing wrong. Figured it out within three posts, so I removed this unessesary big post.
    Edited by zgrssd on May 14, 2014 12:57PM

• zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did some more test. Best as I can tell this line in getTabData:
    result[Tab]["Categories"] = getCatData(chatContainer, Tab)

is executed as if it was this line instead:
    result = getCatData(chatContainer, Tab)

• zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Problem solved:
    Due to the nature of Lua all varriables are by default global. If I want function scope or local file scope for anything I have to preface it with local during first assignment (you cannot realy speak of declaration here).

• zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Almost there. After some serious reworking the code for extraction and application of ChatTab settings finally stands.
    Only need to figure out how to add an options page (there are only 3 options) and where to add the automatic save check (there are no events for adding/removal/changes to chat tabs).