Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Pets are currently useless

Drexz
Drexz
✭✭
Either they need better AI or players need to have control over them (summoned pets, NOT vanity). Many times they just stand there and watch you get pounded. When they do attack they never try to pull agro if there are multiple enemies, which is usually the case. They just stick to one. Going with a destruction impulse build makes the summon abilities a waste. We need improvements to the familiars to dig that skill line out of the grave.
Edited by Drexz on May 12, 2014 5:06PM
  • KeynesAlley
    KeynesAlley
    ✭✭
    You aren't talking about pets (vanity items), but summoned familiars (skills).

I do agree that they need some serious work. Like you said, they quite often just stand around letting the bad guys pound on you while they just watch.
  • r4v3nw0lf
    r4v3nw0lf
    I was going to say what the monkey going to do? Throw you know what..lol
  • Reenlister
    Reenlister
    ✭✭✭
    yes, I thought this was about pets.. Pets suck. I did mistakenly believe that by getting my order for the special pack my pet would at least do something. Oh well, he was cute to have around for a day or so.
    I don't use the Familiars, but I have seen them watch their owners be smashed to the ground.
    You now have my curiosity up to look into them more just to see how things go.
  • Mujuro
    Mujuro
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to add the Summon Shadow NB skill to this; the shadow frequently stands around and does nothing.
  • ijRoberts
    ijRoberts
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, they (pets and familiars) are completely useless. So please put them away when you're in town and the bank. =)
  • Drexz
    Drexz
    ✭✭
    @KeynesAlley, thank you for adding the clarification. I was referring to the summoned pets.
  • Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be great to have 2 modes for summoned creatures. Defensive & Offensive/Frenzy.
  • Pintobean
    Pintobean
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is great. Not only a problem with pets, but NPC's assisting on a quest. Just standing around picking their nose, I laugh while I die.

"Oh, you need sumpin?"

I have been in more than a few groups where there was one real live player gathering ore, plants, or just looking at the loot, while I was taking a beating.

I think of those guys every time my pet stares off into space in battle. Maybe they are shooting for realism?

The vanity pets do have a useful purpose, blocking other players at the wayshrine. Is why i have not used them, yet. I can run right through other players, but not their pets.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, interesting. My 2 sorcerers have been saved by their Clannfears more times than I can count. They definitely don't draw aggro from multiple targets though - that would sure be nice. And I guess they are sometimes a little slow at going after enemies. Still, I've found the Clannfear to be pretty useful.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Qhival
    Qhival
    ✭✭✭
    this thread is complete bs. I've seen clanfears summoned over and over to kill a boss while the players does nothing. if pets are made better, they would need a summon cooldown.
    -Archival -Templar, NA
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've complained about this since July... just made a suggestion thread again here: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/96434/
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on May 12, 2014 5:20PM
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭
    I love my Clanfears (I have 2 sorcerers) when they work, but it's a craps shoot on whether or not they are gonna do their job or just stand around.
  • Drexz
    Drexz
    ✭✭
    @Ur-Quan‌ if you haven't tried the destruction staff impulse ability, plus evil hunter and inner light, you should give it a go. You will see just how useless familiars are. The damage output and survivability of that build outperforms summoned familiars in oh so many ways.
  • Drexz
    Drexz
    ✭✭
    I was soloing a VR4 public dungeon at VR3 with the impulse build. There is absolutely no way you are going to do that using familiars. With the right passives and fully upgraded skills in this build, you are starting at about 30% crit and that's without using pots. The burst damage, magicka recovery and health recovery is so good, that unless you get a bad pull or space out you are going to survive just about any situation, and clear areas faster than you can imagine.
  • Voltair
    Voltair
    ✭✭
    My Clannfear has saved my bacon a few times as well Ur-Quan. I can't remember if the morph I chose was to take or deal extra damage but he survives longer.

I have noticed that summoned creatures attack the same target as you do but they wait for you to initiate it. Only time I had trouble with mine was during the Balreth fight and the numerous scamps but I just re-summoned him. I've also found the clannfear rather better at distracting the enemy than the winged twilight.

One tip for sorcs - During the main quest (final) boss fight, it is pointless having a summoned pet so don't waste the spot.

Edit : I agree the destruction staff is great but I'm a healer with that on weapon swap and I still value the distraction the summoned creature gives.
    Edited by Voltair on May 12, 2014 5:27PM
  • Gelston
    Gelston
    ✭✭✭
    Drexz wrote: »
    I was soloing a VR4 public dungeon at VR3 with the impulse build. There is absolutely no way you are going to do that using familiars. With the right passives and fully upgraded skills in this build, you are starting at about 30% crit and that's without using pots. The burst damage, magicka recovery and health recovery is so good, that unless you get a bad pull or space out you are going to survive just about any situation, and clear areas faster than you can imagine.

I got to VR10 using both summons, soloing. For CC I'd just throw Volcanic Rune around. They made it extremely easy. Sometimes they bugged out, but then I'd just resummon them.

Thing to note, the summons themselves will not initiate a fight (unless you die, raise here, and resummon, then sometimes they'll run right back into the fray.)
  • ItsMeToo
    ItsMeToo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You aren't talking about pets (vanity items), but summoned familiars (skills).

I do agree that they need some serious work. Like you said, they quite often just stand around letting the bad guys pound on you while they just watch.

Do you blame them? That's what I would do. LOL

FYI - There is no such thing as 'night capping' in a world wide MMO.
    FYI - There was no paid Beta. When they launched the game the Beta was over, even if you don't think it was.
    FYI - It's B2P not F2P. There is a difference.
    FYI - It doesn't take any player skill to mash keys or buttons in this game. The ones that stay alive longer have the better internet connection and speed.
    FYI - The game is not broken, it still works. It just has 'bugs' that need to be fixed.
    Balance is a "Bad" thing.

Example: There were hundreds of Jedi and only two Sith in Star Wars. The Jedi wanted, "Balance in the Force" and they got it. Now there are only two Jedi and two Sith.

Balance is a "Bad" thing.
    Is the glass half full or half empty?
    I say, "Get a smaller glass."
  • paradoxorganisationb16_ESO
    Flashing news from whenever beta started. Basicly you are gimping yourself by having a familiar summoned now as you lose 10% max magicka and the pets does in no way make up for that.

Basicly they are unresponsive, poor ai and no dmg or utility.
  • Drexz
    Drexz
    ✭✭
    @Gelston‌ Oh I don't doubt that it's possible. The familiars still have a few issues that make them frustrating at best to use in fights against multiple enemies. I do have to say I'm surprised that would work for you often against groups of mobs since the pet will not pull agro, and as soon as they hit the volcanic rune they will all focus you and your health and magicka recovery is not high enough to save you. I haven't tried it, so I'm not talking from experience, but I do know that ever since I switched my build to the one I described I have had a much funner time doing stuff in VR areas, since I'm not getting killed so often.
    Edited by Drexz on May 12, 2014 5:36PM
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ur-Quan wrote: »
    Hmm, interesting. My 2 sorcerers have been saved by their Clannfears more times than I can count. They definitely don't draw aggro from multiple targets though - that would sure be nice. And I guess they are sometimes a little slow at going after enemies. Still, I've found the Clannfear to be pretty useful.
    Agreed, not seen any familars stand by and do nothing, seen them attack enemies I was trying to avoid, but not seen them do nothing. Without familars I don't think the sorceror class would be playable, would like a few more spells, but definately have no issues with the familars.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Gelston
    Gelston
    ✭✭✭
    @Gelston‌ Oh I don't doubt that it's possible. The familiars still have a few issues that make them frustrating at best to use in fights against multiple enemies. I do have to say I'm surprised that would work for you often against groups of mobs since the pet will not pull agro, and as soon as they hit the volcanic rune they will all focus you and your health and magicka recovery is not high enough to save you. I haven't tried it, so I'm not talking from experience, but I do know that ever since I switched my build to the one I described I have had a much funner time doing stuff in VR areas, since I'm not getting killed so often.

They do come after me after that, but the clannfear often retakes the aggro before it gets to me. Either way, I drop volcanic rune again when they get up. My Magicka recovery is fine with the pets. Health recovery is always low, but I'm also a vamp. Anytime I was ever in a bad spot, I can drain and instantly restore it.. Or my Ultimate (devouring swarm) would be up and I'd toss that up.

I'd definitely disagree with the assertion that summons are useless. In a real dungeon, however, I drop them as there I do feel they are useless.
    Edited by Gelston on May 12, 2014 5:57PM
  • Drexz
    Drexz
    ✭✭
    Ur-Quan wrote: »
    Agreed, not seen any familars stand by and do nothing, seen them attack enemies I was trying to avoid, but not seen them do nothing. Without familars I don't think the sorceror class would be playable, would like a few more spells, but definately have no issues with the familars.

I'd like to see your clannfears do this. Action starts at 3:15
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYhx4TeIyEY
    Edited by Drexz on May 12, 2014 5:58PM
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All that neefs to be done is add a attack, hold ,and follow command
  • frwinters_ESO
    frwinters_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    was this a sarcastic post? I cant tell...cause if it wasn't....wait im supposed to be nice.
  • Drexz
    Drexz
    ✭✭
    was this a sarcastic post? I cant tell...cause if it wasn't....wait im supposed to be nice.

No one cares what you think. So be whatever you want. :)
    Edited by Drexz on May 13, 2014 12:45AM
  • frwinters_ESO
    frwinters_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

No one cares what you think. So be whatever you want. :)

My mom cares!