Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Temp heals need to have temp ALWAYS as target too!

Mephos
Mephos
✭✭✭
Guys? .. serious. I understand why you did some sort of "auto aim" for healing spells .. but always to target the person with the lowest health just means I will die when someone is around me with less health than i have.

every time I quest it happens at least 2-3 times when others are close to me. I get low health, try to heal me and then the heal just "flies through the air and heals someone else" .. because he had about 1% less health than I had.

i die, random guy lives. and not a single thank you, not a single *** was given.

Just make it that heals always heals templer too so that those problems don´t appear.

doing a world boss.. almost finished it, just heal the last burst. random guy appears, get hits from a cleave, has less health than I have, gets healed instead of me.. I die.. random guy dies a second later, boss resets.

At those moments I want to throw my keyboard against the wall and just rage quit.

• randomriffyrocksprerb18_ESO
    Some spells heal only allies, some heals both allies and self. So which ability did you use?
    Edited by randomriffyrocksprerb18_ESO on May 12, 2014 12:25PM
  • Mephos
    Mephos
    ✭✭✭
    hots can´t heal burst dmg.. I want my temp skills to heal me like they should when I press heal to heal myself!
  • randomriffyrocksprerb18_ESO
    Like they should? Read the description of abilities

Rushed ceremony heals one ally, the lowest health one. Breath of life heals up to 3 allies. If you morped rushed ceremony into breath of life and you were put in that situation again, it will heal both of you.

Healing ritual will always heal self + allies

But if you want something to heal yourself for sure, use a potion
    Edited by randomriffyrocksprerb18_ESO on May 12, 2014 12:31PM
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, if you're a healer, holistically part of that role is trying to stay as safe as possible so you can actually heal. To that end you might want to have a look a little at your positioning in battle.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Sarcen
    Sarcen
    Rev Rielle wrote: »

You guys clearly both aren't templars. If you were you would realize how frustrating this skill can be at times. While I have no experienced this in pve (because I was alone pretty much all the way to vr10), in PvP this happens very frequently. This ability SHOULD just prioritize your party (... YOU if you are not in a party)

• S1rKu1L
    S1rKu1L
    Sarcen wrote: »

You guys clearly both aren't templars. If you were you would realize how frustrating this skill can be at times. While I have no experienced this in pve (because I was alone pretty much all the way to vr10), in PvP this happens very frequently. This ability SHOULD just prioritize your party (... YOU if you are not in a party)

I am a templar and this sounds like a problem with the skills you are choosing to use vs. the way the skill works.

If you are more concerned about yourself, then don't use the heal skill meant primarily for allies. Use the one that has the self heal element. Morph it for faster cast time, and there you go.

If you are acting as a healer, then heal and don't worry about who you are healing. Healing allies, whether part of your group or not, will help the alliance. If you cast it multiple times you will heal different allies each time, yourself included.

If you are running as dps and expect this ally healing skill to be your heal, then I don't think you are understanding the restoration skill line for templars. maybe re-read the skills.

All templar healing skills are designed to be support skills for allies, not for yourself. Want them for yourself, roll with a templar instead of being one.

• Mr_Luscan
    Mr_Luscan
    ✭✭
    I just started an Argonian Templar Healer (Lvl 13). Only weapon is his Resto Staff. Uses Breath of Life and Regen, both of which heal him, and 3 Aedric spear skills. I'm really surprised because he's survived and won some of the solo boss fights at lower levels than others who are mainly dps based. The Resto Staff increases his Magica regen quite a bit so doing distance damage and able to heal faster.
    Plans are to make him mainly a healer but nice to know he has some fallback skills, and even in his dps mode can still cast heals to others around him, AND heal himself at same time.
    I think I'll keep him. :]
    So if you see Too-Many-Headshots running thru the Ebonheart Pact lands give me a shout and I'll toss a heal or 3 your way
    Edited by Mr_Luscan on May 12, 2014 5:20PM
  • Travail
    Travail
    ✭✭✭
    What we need is a "target self" modifier key (I believe the game used to have one, and they took it out.) For anyone who doesn't know, this is a hotkey which forces all of your own friendly spells to target your own character, so long as it is held down.

I wouldn't want my heals to ALWAYS prioritize myself, or ALWAYS prioritize my group. Generally, I like that they prioritize the player(s) with the lowest health. However, occasionally I do want my heal to target myself, and a self-target modifier key would allow me to control that.

-Travail.
    www.obsidianbrotherhood.com
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree , i dont want to save others usually , but i end up doing so , because my skills just target them , instead of me.

Healing others should come after healing yourself.

For a "smart" target system , it is actually pretty dumb.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Firstly, any half-competent healer knows that part of their role is to try to stay as safe as possible when in battle. If you don't acknowledge, or haven't thought about this, I suggest you give it some time, as it can make all the difference. You can't heal someone if your character is lying on the floor. Half of the counter to that is healing yourself if you're hit, but the other side of the coin, and the more desirable counter, is taking steps to limit your incoming damage in the first place.

Secondly, my character is a templar, and both heals in PvE landscape/dunegons and PvP. I think simply you don't understand the premise behind how a templar is designed to work.

You seem to be complaining about one skill, Rushed Ceremony and it's morphs. If you read that skill's description it will say Heals a nearby wounded Ally. It works as intended and as the skill description says, it's pretty clear that it's not designed to be a self-heal, though in cases it can act as one.You can even morph this ability to heal three targets minimising further your concerns. Basing arguments around one skill whilst forgetting the other five doesn't seem to make sense. All other skills in the templar line will also effect the templar.

Once someone takes the time to learn the mechanics of how a Templar character's skills work (as opposed to how one thinks or wants them to work), and then uses the most appropriate skill/s, they will be fine. It just takes a bit of getting use to.

Finally, if the skill annoys you, why on earth are you still using it? Sounds completely nonsensical to me. There are alternatives, even in the templar line, to satisfy any selfish desires.

Edited by Rev Rielle on May 13, 2014 12:01AM
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Talmet
    Talmet
    ✭✭✭

I agree , i dont want to save others usually , but i end up doing so , because my skills just target them , instead of me.

You are playing a healer...but you don't want to save other?

Now, I completely agree that sometimes, I really want to let certain people die. i.e. the guy that won't stop standing in fire. I want him to die, I don't want to heal him...but my heals will heal him. Is that annoying? sure...is the fact that for the first time in years, I am not playing the game by watching a screen of health bars & barely even noticing what is happening with the boss, awesome. DAMN RIGHT IT IS!

As others have said, use the appropriate skills & you'll be fine. Use the wrong skills, and you'll end up on the forums complaining about the skills being broken (like you are right now.)
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess just equip restro staff and the 1st ability will always heal yourself as long as you can aim.

Steadfast ward has a morph that will target yourself every time casted, but that is a last ditch move to save your own arse.
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    Jeez, whatever happened to the "never leave a man behind" and "we're all on the same side" ethos? Thought it was part and parcel of playing a support class?
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talmet wrote: »

Now, I completely agree that sometimes, I really want to let certain people die. i.e. the guy that won't stop standing in fire. I want him to die, I don't want to heal him...but my heals will heal him. Is that annoying? sure...is the fact that for the first time in years, I am not playing the game by watching a screen of health bars & barely even noticing what is happening with the boss, awesome. DAMN RIGHT IT IS!

As others have said, use the appropriate skills & you'll be fine. Use the wrong skills, and you'll end up on the forums complaining about the skills being broken (like you are right now.)

Uh , did i ever said i was playing a templar healer?

Cause , nope , that is not what im doing , and nope , i dont care about who dies , if they are not in my party.

The skill is quite broken. Add a morph that targets only the templar , and then it will be fine. The fact is , a templar can decide to not play healer.
    I know right? How would have thought of that...
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Travail
    Travail
    ✭✭✭

Cause , nope , that is not what im doing , and nope , i dont care about who dies , if they are not in my party.

The skill is quite broken. Add a morph that targets only the templar , and then it will be fine. The fact is , a templar can decide to not play healer.

Well, if you choose not to play a healer, the devs probably aren't obligated to give your spec... a heal. Just sayin'. ;)

They do need a better targeting system, though. Like I said earlier, we need the option to self-target. We also need to be able to set our abilities to never target NPCs. I'm tired of healing vanity pets.

-Travail.
    Edited by Travail on May 13, 2014 8:24AM
    www.obsidianbrotherhood.com
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Travail wrote: »

Well, if you choose not to play a healer, the devs probably aren't obligated to give your spec... a heal. Just sayin'. ;)

They do need a better targeting system, though. Like I said earlier, we need the option to self-target. We also need to be able to set our abilities to never target NPCs. I'm tired of healing vanity pets.

-Travail.

By this logic , they better remove ALL the self heals in the game , better start with green dragon blood in my opinion , cause those DKs are not playing healer , and yet they have a heal...

Mate , it is quite obvious a class should have the power to target itself. It is all i need.

Be it a morph , be it something else like a second button , does not matter much.
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Travail wrote: »

-Travail.
    if he´s playing a tank templar honor the dead is his equivalent of dragon blood and thus he should be able to force it to only heal himself.

some time ago my guild and i tryed to do spindle clutch VR versin - we were uable to kill the gargoyle as those bloody useless npc companions were constantly healed instead of my teammates as they had 1 hp left after an earthquake so the only heal i had (at that time) has been grand healing wich was not enough to cover the gargoyles ae.

spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Mephos
    Mephos
    ✭✭✭
    wow.. so if I play a templar I´m a healing *** for everyone else. And if I play a DK I get similar self heals but can be the lonley wolf DPS guy?

I thought there is no real class/role system in this game and everyone can play as they want. I did make a templar because I wanted to heal myself... ONLY myself. If this is selfish it is irrelevant, because it should be possible to do so. DIVERSITY ..

and telling me I should use the "cast heal" is ***. It has a cast time and I eat as much damage as I would heal while casting. I can´t move fast (or evade) while casting. Overall this skill is meant to aoe heal and not to single target heal yourself.

why does a system decide for me who has priority for heals?
    Tank > healer > dps for heals....

also arguing with just one aspect of the game "group pvp" is not working out guys. why the *** would they just design one spell for PvP?

its clearly a pve based game and therefore the system for healing should not decide for me who gets the heals. I want to decide myself or give it a priortiy (heal myself if < 60% over all other players).

if I want to heal everyone I use AoE heals.
    Which stupid healer spams a single target heal into a massiv group of 200 people just to "heal your ally" and support them? Are you insane?

You use either a) aoe heals or b) ground aoe heals or c) hots like crazy because those actually stack with other healers
    if he´s playing a tank templar honor the dead is his equivalent of dragon blood and thus he should be able to force it to only heal himself.

well said. every argument that comes with "your a templar, you should heal others" is just plain stupid. class heals should be for yourself (optional for others) and restro staff should be for all (its target aoe, so no problem there.. hots stack and never use the same person twice as long as it runs).