Maintenance for the week of July 1:
· [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
· [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

LAUNCHER SHUTS DOWN post update (Steam)

roqueforty
roqueforty
✭✭✭
After installing the update, every time i start the launcher, it shows "Updating", then shuts down.

EDIT: after several attempts, the launcher seems to work.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 30, 2024 6:14PM
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Glad the issue is resolved. If you run into anything else, please feel free to ping.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Melilotta
    Melilotta
    ✭✭✭
    Same problem here, PC EU, not on Steam.
    EDIT: tried multiple times already, but the problem persists.
    Edited by Melilotta on June 26, 2024 5:16PM
    Options
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    @Melilotta Could you try uninstall and reinstall the game? Trying to make sure we get all troubleshooting out of the way before escalating.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Melilotta
    Melilotta
    ✭✭✭
    I'll try reinstalling then, it might take some time.
    Options
  • Elric_665
    Elric_665
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 4K Monitor and the Launcher is now very tiny.

Edit: Typo
    Edited by Elric_665 on June 26, 2024 7:00PM
    "If it bleeds, we can kill it!"
    Major „Dutch“ Schaefer

PvP nur, wenn es sich absolut nicht vermeiden läßt.
    Options
  • Melilotta
    Melilotta
    ✭✭✭
    I reinstalled the game and restarted the computer. Now the launcher works and I can play, so thank you for the suggestion!
    There's only one slight hitch leaving the game: everything just stops and I have to force closing the window, but I hope that problem resolves itself in time.

UPDATE: It has! Now leaving the game works OK, too.
    Edited by Melilotta on June 27, 2024 9:28AM
    Options
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Elric_665 wrote: »

So if you click the head icon on the upper right of the launcher (it's hard to see on the small launcher) you should see some new choices on resolution scaling. You should be able to scale the resolution size there.
    qsdakk9tbase.png
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Scardonia
    Scardonia
    ✭✭
    I have the same issue, though, my account was on Steam first but I kept getting issues (crashes and reinstalls) so I downloaded the exe from ESO instead so it's not attached to Steam.

I've tried the 'several attempts' trying to launch it but it's just on endless loop, updating, shut down.

@ZOS_Kevin Are you saying that if anyone that has an account with 'Steam' we have to uninstall and reinstall the game to get it working? When it was your 'launcher' update that broke it in the first place? .... My connection won't be able to download and install this game before time runs out for the daily login.. RIP 2,500 telvar... thanks.
    Anakalia CP2700+ EU/PC
    Options
  • Deldour
    Deldour
    ✭✭
    As relieved as I am to see that I am not the only one dealing with this issue, I'm definitely in the same boat of being concerned about missing a login reward.
    Options
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Scardonia wrote: »
    I have the same issue, though, my account was on Steam first but I kept getting issues (crashes and reinstalls) so I downloaded the exe from ESO instead so it's not attached to Steam.

I've tried the 'several attempts' trying to launch it but it's just on endless loop, updating, shut down.

@ZOS_Kevin Are you saying that if anyone that has an account with 'Steam' we have to uninstall and reinstall the game to get it working? When it was your 'launcher' update that broke it in the first place? .... My connection won't be able to download and install this game before time runs out for the daily login.. RIP 2,500 telvar... thanks.

We are asking this as a troubleshooting measure for anyone on PC, regardless of platform. For what it's worth, these cases seem to be outliers. We're sharing with our team instances where players are having issues like this. I've updated on both my work and home PCs via Steam and not run into this issue. It seems like a very small number if people are running into this.

Regarding the Tel Var, if you are not able to login in time, please place a ticket and we'll work with you on that.
    Options
    Staff Post
  • riverhippob14_ESO
    I had this issue today with the launcher shutting down moments after it displayed it was updating. I am not a Steam customer for ESO. I tried it a few times and it continued to shut down automatically.

Solution?: I noticed my hard drive was getting chunky so I freed up some space on my hard drive and tried again, and it seemed to work. After the update, my PC required reboot for the C++ update. I can now play the game normally.
    Options
  • lemonbalm
    lemonbalm
    Soul Shriven
    Steam launcher on Geforce Now crashes after attempting to update eso launcher
    Options
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »

So if you click the head icon on the upper right of the launcher (it's hard to see on the small launcher) you should see some new choices on resolution scaling. You should be able to scale the resolution size there.
    qsdakk9tbase.png

Yes, except modifying the resolution of the launcher via this tab also modifies the in-game launch menu to absurd proportions.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
    GM of Imperial Gold Reserve trading guild (started in 2017) since 2/2022
    Options
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And launcher closes on its own for khajiit as well, while he's playing. Launching via steam.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
    GM of Imperial Gold Reserve trading guild (started in 2017) since 2/2022
    Options
  • yunfangoldhag
    yunfangoldhag
    ✭✭
    Hi, running into this launcher issue too. I've manually launched the game through the eso64.exe. Is the only fix to uninstall and reinstall the game @ZOS_Kevin or is a fix coming our way ? Will probably take me a few days to reinstall the game so I'd rather do this as a last resort...
    Chancellor of "House Tertia" (PC EU) - Casual, Mature & Friendly Guild, PvE/social (housetertia.com)
    Master Crafter, Lore Enthusiast, Raid Leader, Fishing mapper, Healer, DD & Tank
    Options
  • argyro
    argyro
    Soul Shriven
    @ZOS_Kevin i’m having the same issue (eso launcher, not steam). launcher says “updating”, then “shutting down”, then seems to be trying to reopen but never does. found a temporary fix (to bypass the launcher by running eso64.exe, so it looks like it’s something with the launcher itself) but hope this issue gets patched soon :(
    Options
  • FanmaR
    FanmaR
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to launch ESO on steam basically freezes my entire PC. I already couldn't log in yesterday and it's still not fixed.

I can't re-install the entire game because that would take like 3 days. The "repair" and "update" options on the launcher do not work.
    Please fix the launcher.
    Edited by FanmaR on June 27, 2024 11:01AM
    Options
  • Scardonia
    Scardonia
    ✭✭
    Hi, running into this launcher issue too. I've manually launched the game through the eso64.exe. Is the only fix to uninstall and reinstall the game @ZOS_Kevin or is a fix coming our way ? Will probably take me a few days to reinstall the game so I'd rather do this as a last resort...

Running eso64.exe works for me too, so it's just the patcher/launcher that needs fixing. As yunfangoldhag said, I'd also rather not uninstall and reinstall as it would take quite a time, and it would potentially wipe any configs/user settings that are in place.

@ZOS_Kevin If your team could look into the patcher update and come up with a fix we'd appreciate it.
    Anakalia CP2700+ EU/PC
    Options
  • Auora
    Auora
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »

qsdakk9tbase.png

That's all well and good, except I'd have to be able to actually read the launcher to be able to access any of that. On my 14" laptop (1880p) the launcher is so tiny that even if I put my face against the screen, I cannot make out the text on the settings.

And as someone else pointed out, that scaling then translates into ESO itself, which I already have perfectly setup for this laptop. I've tried using the windows 'high dpi settings' in order to counter this behavior of the launcher, but it doesn't seem to affect it at all.

Please consider fixing this? The launcher UI and the ESO UI have different needs, having a setting affect BOTH of them is weird.

Edit: I was clicking around on things randomly and found that if you change the scaling from 'launcher' to 'windows', then it respects the high DPI settings from windows and looks normal, without affecting the in-game UI. So there is a solution, thankfully.
    Edited by Auora on June 27, 2024 12:29PM
    Options
  • AlwaysDancing
    AlwaysDancing
    ✭✭✭
    I am having the Game Launch Failed issue. PCNA via Steam. @ZOS_Kevin

I have run the Repair function and it did not resolve the issue.
    Options
  • Gyuro26
    Gyuro26
    Soul Shriven
    Mac (Intel) user. Same issue here originally, ran the launcher about 5 times, "Updating" then quit. On the last start, it mentioned that there are "files from a previous installation" (actually, Apple spotlight .DS_STORE files) that could be removed, and then it worked again.
    Options
  • Kauket
    Kauket
    Soul Shriven
    PC-NA, Windows 10, launching from Steam. ESO launcher says "updating" with progress bar, then quickly shuts down. Have relaunched multiple times and restarted computer. Can run game from eso64.exe.

I saw one person say a reinstall fixed the issue... Did that work for anyone else? Do you lose your settings (like keybindings, addons, etc., which I have customized extensively) when uninstalling? I'm trying to estimate how long it'll take to reinstall.

Update: did a reinstall 6/28 and the launcher is working again. Took about an hour to download, but happily all my settings stayed.
    Edited by Kauket on June 28, 2024 8:23PM
    Options
  • Salix_alba
    Salix_alba
    ✭✭✭✭
    this might be related to Norton it quarantines a file from the launcher I just had to set the heur - something file to trusted and reinstall my launcher. This thread has more info on the Norton issue https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/661351/launcher-update-got-a-heuristic-virus-alert/p2
    Edited by Salix_alba on June 28, 2024 1:40PM
    Options
  • Morvan
    Morvan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not having the same problem myself, but a friend of mine was and after disabling his antivirus (Avast) the launcher managed to update just fine, it's likely the same issue for most people here, something is blocking their update from going through.
    Options
  • yunfangoldhag
    yunfangoldhag
    ✭✭
    To anyone still running into this issue :

Manually running the Game Consultant has somehow "forced" my launcher to properly update. See https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/#en/answer/37687

I also had my antivirus disabled while doing this.
    Chancellor of "House Tertia" (PC EU) - Casual, Mature & Friendly Guild, PvE/social (housetertia.com)
    Master Crafter, Lore Enthusiast, Raid Leader, Fishing mapper, Healer, DD & Tank
    Options
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the PC Technical Support section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Options
    Staff Post