Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Windowed (Fullscreen) no longer working?

BretonMage
BretonMage
✭✭✭✭✭
I play on Windowed (Fullscreen) mode. Since update 42, it seems that it no longer works as windowed mode, like before, but rather as fullscreen mode. So every time I alt-tab, or physically adjust the volume on my external speakers (which activates the on-screen volume overlay), it seems to turn off and reset my monitor. Tabbing between ESO and other applications results in my monitor turning off (going completely black) for 5-6 seconds, similar to what happens when you change the resolution. The game is still running as normal throughout all this.

It's not game-breaking, but it is incredibly frustrating as I tab out often to check TTC prices and furnishing selections.

(Edit: I know about the Environmental Sustainability changes and it's not that. I've disabled them in any case.)
Edited by BretonMage on June 4, 2024 5:21AM
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That mode also have now FPS cap at 120fps. Before patch there wasn't any limit.
    I playing with Window (Fullscreen) too.
    @ZOS_Kevin
    Edited by davidtk on June 4, 2024 5:46AM
    Really sorry for my english
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    davidtk wrote: »
    @ZOS_Kevin

I had a look, but my FPS does not seem to be affected, it's at 140 FPS as before the update, but I did disable the Environmental Sustainability settings.

Just to be clear, my problems with windowed (fullscreen) started immediately after the update, before I had disabled the Environmental Sustainability feature.
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »
    davidtk wrote: »
    @ZOS_Kevin

I had a look, but my FPS does not seem to be affected, it's at 140 FPS as before the update, but I did disable the Environmental Sustainability settings.

Just to be clear, my problems with windowed (fullscreen) started immediately after the update, before I had disabled the Environmental Sustainability feature.

Wife have Windows 10 and I have Windows 11, both same rigs, both nvidia and both get after update in Window mode 120fps cap. In Fullscreen have unlimited but it is pain to switch to other apps.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi all, just wanted to send a quick update here. Thanks again for your feedback on this issue. We have gotten this over to the dev team and they have the issue with windowed fullscreen noted. We'll have a fix ready for incremental 1 for U42.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An update for anyone who might be interested: My partner had a look at our Nvidia settings and it turned out that we had Gsync enabled globally but disabled for ESO (for a reason I can no longer remember). Somehow that setup worked pre-U42, but some change post-U42 has caused it to no longer work. So we've re-enabled it and everything works again.

I don't know if this has anything to do with your issue, @davidtk , but I hope your issue resolves as well.

Edit: Sorry, Kevin, I just saw your post. Thanks for looking into it.
    Edited by BretonMage on June 4, 2024 1:59PM
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »
    I don't know if this has anything to do with your issue, @davidtk , but I hope your issue resolves as well.

I don't have monitor with any g-sync or freesync, so not my case. Even don't have anything like gsync in nvidia control panel.
    After U42 Window Fullscreen hard limit at 120fps. I tried I think everything around drivers and Windows settings. Nothing. So it must be ESO.
    Edited by davidtk on June 4, 2024 3:36PM
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have an issue that might be related, but not sure.

I have a two monitor setup and I have been playing ESO in Windowed (Fullscreen) for years just fine.

Starting with the current iteration of the PTS I notice that the very moment I launched ESO anything on the 2nd monitor (YT videos, discord, whathaveyou) became very choppy.

At the time I chalked it down to the PTS not being very well optimised however the issue persists with the live version.

Nothing has changed on my side (hardware, drivers etc) it is all the same, it was fine all the way to U41 but with U42 I can get very limited use of the 2nd monitor.

This behaviour is 'addon agnostic', I only need to launch the game to the login character selection screen to experience the issue.

Edited by ApoAlaia on June 5, 2024 4:41PM
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hi all, just wanted to send a quick update here. Thanks again for your feedback on this issue. We have gotten this over to the dev team and they have the issue with windowed fullscreen noted. We'll have a fix ready for incremental 1 for U42.

@ZOS_Kevin Thank you, just wanted to ask if you told devs abou fps cap at window fullscreen mode too, because I know many ppl who are now upset aboit this hardcoded limit thank you :smile:
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Today's incremental fixed the issues I was experiencing, thank you.
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah! This patch resolved my issue too! Window Fullscreen don't have hard coded FPS cap!
    Finaly!
    @ZOS_Kevin Thank you, I am glad that devs listened to us in this :smile: