Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

It's been 1,039 days, why is the map zoom still not fixed?

Mafiabrett
Mafiabrett
✭✭
It's coming up on almost 3 years this June, a total of 1,039 days, and zooming in on the map is still broken on Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X. Can atleast one of you ZOS pass this onto the team that could solve this?
@ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_Bill @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Phoenix @ZOS_Kraken @ZOS_Hadeostry @ZOS_Volpe

So what do I mean by broken? The game won't let you zoom in anywhere near the same level of zoom that PC gets or older consoles like PS4/X1 get. I've heard it might be the 4K resolution but that still doesn't explain how PC ESO can still zoom in further at 4K but we can't. It's infuriating to someone like me who loves map detail and cartography.

I'll provide some examples incase ZOS forgets to play their own game on PS5/XSX and hasn't seen it yet firsthand or endured how frustrating it is.

Example #1 Exhibit A: (PS5 Tamriel Map)
04umgytto1p8.jpg
Showing maximum zoom on the Tamriel World Map, a good reference point would be the High Isle/Galen area. It's very difficult to pick a specific wayshrine or even a point where you can zoom and transition into the Zone map.

Example #1 Exhibit B: (PS4 Tamriel Map)
bk24k6wzf4an.jpg
Now here's a comparison to PS4 version of the game, maximum zoom at roughly the same location. Notice how much further zoomed in it is, and the how you can actually kinda see High Isle now?

Example #2 Exhibit A: (PS5 Summerset Map)
dy10vz2yc1gh.jpg
Now here's one of the zone maps, I randomly picked Summerset for this example. Here's PS5 version maximum zoom.

Example #2 Exhibit B: (PS4 Summerset Map)
j10yywqfm1z3.jpg
Now here's a comparison to PS4 version, maximum zoom at the same location. Again notice how much closer we can get, you can actually see the smaller buildings on the map much easier and be more precise with your map markers... it's a HUGE Quality of Life change.

One would think this is a very simple fix.. can't possibly be harder to fix than let's say the crashes that have been happening all month or the Transmutation Deconstruction glitch..

So here's a thought, maybe every major update (41, 42, 43, etc) I'll come back to the forums, I'll @ every ZOS I can think of and title the thread "It's been X amount of days, map zoom still broken". Eventually you'll fix it right?
Edited by ZOS_Bill on April 19, 2024 6:56PM
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't know if it's related but the whole time I've played on Xbox Series X the map cursor just jumps around sporadically. Sometimes it won't stay still when I try to move it over an item to select it and port there it just snaps away etc. I have to very slowly move the cursor back to the item and hope I can quickly click it before the cursor jumps away to some other area. Very frustrating and annoying.
    Options
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    malistorr wrote: »
    Don't know if it's related but the whole time I've played on Xbox Series X the map cursor just jumps around sporadically. Sometimes it won't stay still when I try to move it over an item to select it and port there it just snaps away etc. I have to very slowly move the cursor back to the item and hope I can quickly click it before the cursor jumps away to some other area. Very frustrating and annoying.

Yes, it’s like you are sort of zoomed in and I have to click either R1 or L1 to get it to lock in. (Sorry can’t remember which right now.) Then it zooms out a bit and the cursor works normally.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Options
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This was the reason I stopped bothering with treasure maps, surveys, etc. Having to squint across the room or get like 2 feet from the TV to find a location from Google.
    Options
  • Freilauftomate
    Freilauftomate
    ✭✭✭✭
    malistorr wrote: »

Especially nice in Cyrodiil, when you are deep in enemy territory with your group, want to use a camp, and spawn somewhere completely different, because the cursor jumped...
    Options
  • Arthanas96
    Arthanas96
    Soul Shriven
    Just an fyi, this isn't just a console issue, I'm on pc, and my zoom in only goes that far too ( mainly on the world map in relation to high isle/galen, its impossible to click into the actual zone )
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arthanas96 wrote: »
    Just an fyi, this isn't just a console issue, I'm on pc, and my zoom in only goes that far too ( mainly on the world map in relation to high isle/galen, its impossible to click into the actual zone )

i think it might do that on PC if you are using gamepad mode, as that is the same as the console UI
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • Arthanas96
    Arthanas96
    Soul Shriven

i think it might do that on PC if you are using gamepad mode, as that is the same as the console UI

I'm not using gamepad mode
    Options
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It seems like it is an issue of going to 4K for me. It was not a problem on PS4 but it is on PS5.

Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Options
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Whatever the issue is, they have had 3 years to fix it and have chosen not to is beyond frustrating. Plus give us the option of mini map as well for consoles. Hope this will be a thing for quarter 3 updates, but I doubt it.

Stay safe :)
    Options
  • LMarshall910
    LMarshall910
    ✭✭
    I can confirm that this is the case on Xbox Series X as well. I play on a small 28in monitor, and can barely see the map as it is. You're right, it certainly does make treasure maps and surveys a pain when I can zoom in further on my 5in phone screen using the ESO Helper app to see where I'm going (great app by the way, I recommend it). I'm pretty sure the graphics for the app must have been pulled from the source data somehow, so the quality of the map is definitely there in the background already.
    Edited by LMarshall910 on May 7, 2024 8:28PM
    Options
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems like it is an issue of going to 4K for me. It was not a problem on PS4 but it is on PS5.

It was a problem waaaay before the 4k updates on Xbox

This really does need to be fixed. The zoom level isn’t anywhere near accurate
    Options
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MJallday wrote: »

It was a problem waaaay before the 4k updates on Xbox

This really does need to be fixed. The zoom level isn’t anywhere near accurate

I meant it was a problem for me personally when I switched from PS4 Pro which was upsampled to 4K to PS5 which is native 4K.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Options