Maintenance for the week of May 20:
· [IN PROGRESS] NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [IN PROGRESS] EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
· [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

what is the etiquette here?

raguvy
raguvy
if someone is losing and has given up but doesnt want to concede, just ends turn every time, i kind of feel like a prat playing my full turn. but i feel like they could change their mind in any round and come back in... so is there an unspoken etiquette for the "winner"? i try to get to 40 asap, e.g. using crow patron much earlier than i usually would, but i still feel i might be taking too long in a one-sided game?
  • loosej
    loosej
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your opponent has the option to concede. If they choose not to, I'd say you can't do much more than what you're already doing.
    Options
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You deserve to have fun too. they didn't concede so play your heart out just end it though, don't fill their deck with bewilderments and take all their cards or something.
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't change my tactics for a match to end the match any quicker than it would end otherwise. Especially using the Crow. If they do at some point decide to swing back into action, you may have over-extended yourself and risk losing.
    Options
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you are dragging on a game pointlessly after an opponent has skipped a turn, especially multiple turns, then that is poor sportsmanship. For example, there is a reason that a referee sometimes ends a match early. Sometimes there are mercy rules. Respecting the opponents desire to get things over with is too just more respectful.

There is likely little justification in the idea that the opponent can suddenly win after they have skipped a turn. Not only is every turn crucial for developing toward winning a game, but someone skipping turns likely means that they already identify that they cannot win.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the main reason to NOT concede is you get 0 rewards doing that, if you even play out a losing match you still get the white reward box

if i play a game and the opponent does not concede ill keep playing like i would any other time, i dont know if they could come back from not having done anything for 5 or 6 turns as they would be extremely behind in both economy, utility, and power generation
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why conceding is treated as something bad that needs to be punished. It is accepting that the opponent is going to win and bowing out so as not to prolong the inevitable. This is not a malicious act but rather an acknowledgement that the opponent takes the victory.
    PCNA
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why conceding is treated as something bad that needs to be punished. It is accepting that the opponent is going to win and bowing out so as not to prolong the inevitable. This is not a malicious act but rather an acknowledgement that the opponent takes the victory.

while true, there is no way or the system to "automatically" determine if thats the case

if you still got a white reward box for conceding, then you could just start and concede matches with the NPCs and net like half a dozen boxes per minute

so they dont give any reward for concession to avoid cases where it could be abused
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    Options
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to do a patron victory at that point if it's easy, otherwise I just try to play fast. But if the game has been going on for more then 5 min or so, not sure the actual time, they can concede without penalty
    Options
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i play to the end regardless of whether i lose or win, the rewards are always nice
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to play the game faster. It has not once backfired on me because it's not something they'll come back from. I also just play out my hand rather than sitting there thinking real hard about a move. It shows respect to the opponent.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on March 28, 2024 3:08AM
    Options
  • NoSoup
    NoSoup
    ✭✭✭✭
    It really annoys me when people have played a winning hand and just drag it out for the full time they can. Case in example, you're both on or about 70 when they start their hand and they get 10 points in the opening 2 cards they play, they've hit 80 its game over. But noooo, they then use the full 90 seconds buying tavern cards, shuffling their deck, flipping patrons and or just sitting there letting the clock wind down. Like come on, don't be a knob and just click end turn so everyone can move on to the next game. This situation happens alot.
    Formally SirDopey, lost forum account during the great reset.....
    Options
  • NoSoup
    NoSoup
    ✭✭✭✭
    But from the other viewpoint. I had this one extremely memorable game where not long after it started my bubz woke up earlier than her schedule and wanted a bottle. We were only 3 or 4 turns into the game but I already had a few psjic cards and a vestment. Because she woke up crying I just shot straight up out of my chair and went to her, plus because I already had a pretty strong combo early I was hoping I could get back to the game in time.

By the time I'd given her her bottle and she was settled I was fully expecting to come back to see either a "Defeat" banner or "you have been disconnected". But noo, the game was still going, I was on 6 points and the opponent was on 37. They just ended their turn when I sat down but because I'd been afk for so many rounds I only had 19 seconds to play my hand but sitting in the Tavern were 2x Forest Wraiths and a Vestment, I snatched them up and the game continued. My opponent didn't remove the Wraiths and on my next turn it started with a shuffle where I got a rediculous draw of 3 pysjic and my 2 vestment cards which when combined with the 2 forest wraiths netted me over 40 points in the one hand. My opponent got nothing but gold cards the next hand and couldn't match my score and lost.
    Formally SirDopey, lost forum account during the great reset.....
    Options
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NoSoup wrote: »
    It really annoys me when people have played a winning hand and just drag it out for the full time they can. Case in example, you're both on or about 70 when they start their hand and they get 10 points in the opening 2 cards they play, they've hit 80 its game over. But noooo, they then use the full 90 seconds buying tavern cards, shuffling their deck, flipping patrons and or just sitting there letting the clock wind down. Like come on, don't be a knob and just click end turn so everyone can move on to the next game. This situation happens alot.

Not to stereotype but many Crow players are the WORST about that. They'll accumulate a boatload of coins with all their Crow combos and could just end the match by hitting their favorite patron, but, no, you must instead sit there and watch their joy of buying 20 Tavern cards before the game ends their turn for them because they took 1.5 minutes buying all those shiny cards.

Like, why? Seriously?
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
    Options
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to stereotype but many Crow players are the WORST about that. They'll accumulate a boatload of coins with all their Crow combos and could just end the match by hitting their favorite patron, but, no, you must instead sit there and watch their joy of buying 20 Tavern cards before the game ends their turn for them because they took 1.5 minutes buying all those shiny cards.

Like, why? Seriously?

Why? Because they’re subpar players and win most of their matches based on luck, that’s why. No skilled player would waste +20 coin on buying trash cards when their deck is already good enough and the opponent is not able to catch up the power generated from the patron (you just need to check the opponent’s deck to see how likely it is).

Things like these are often clear proof if you play against a skilled opponent or somebody that picks Crow + X and just get lucky wins on repeat. Rarely are there situations where this would make sense otherwise (e.g. you know your opponent has many coin amassing cards, but he already turned Crow to his favor and you don’t wanna give him the option to do that again).

Crow is the patron that requires least skillful play, is by far the most noobie-friendly and turns many matches into pure RNG / race for Crow cards. As opponent you sooner or later gotta play the Crow game too because if your opponent gets too many Crow cards it‘s in 9/10 cases an instant loss. So you basically have no choice but to play this stupid game, too.
    Edited by Seraphayel on March 28, 2024 3:26PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Like, why? Seriously?

A lot of times people will avoid the crow patron if they think that turning would be a bad idea because it would allow you to catch up. Also sometimes people just forget about the patrons. I have gotten patron victories and lost matches to zoning out and completely forgetting the patrons lol.
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But from the other viewpoint. I had this one extremely memorable game where not long after it started my bubz woke up earlier than her schedule and wanted a bottle. We were only 3 or 4 turns into the game but I already had a few psjic cards and a vestment. Because she woke up crying I just shot straight up out of my chair and went to her, plus because I already had a pretty strong combo early I was hoping I could get back to the game in time.

By the time I'd given her her bottle and she was settled I was fully expecting to come back to see either a "Defeat" banner or "you have been disconnected". But noo, the game was still going, I was on 6 points and the opponent was on 37. They just ended their turn when I sat down but because I'd been afk for so many rounds I only had 19 seconds to play my hand but sitting in the Tavern were 2x Forest Wraiths and a Vestment, I snatched them up and the game continued. My opponent didn't remove the Wraiths and on my next turn it started with a shuffle where I got a rediculous draw of 3 pysjic and my 2 vestment cards which when combined with the 2 forest wraiths netted me over 40 points in the one hand. My opponent got nothing but gold cards the next hand and couldn't match my score and lost.

that is a great comeback story lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    Options
  • festegios
    festegios
    ✭✭✭

while true, there is no way or the system to "automatically" determine if thats the case

if you still got a white reward box for conceding, then you could just start and concede matches with the NPCs and net like half a dozen boxes per minute

so they dont give any reward for concession to avoid cases where it could be abused

Just add a timer such as if you’ve played for 5 minutes you can concede, or if your scores is above 10.

I just concede regardless if I know I’ve lost.
    Options