The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Suggestion: Admin-customizable "your account is banned" popup?

DewiMorgan
DewiMorgan
✭✭✭
I'm pretty sure this will be suggested at the retro for this event even if we don't say anything, but just in case, suggesting it anyway.

The good: The "ban" mechanism was a blessing in that it allowed accounts to be locked while they were fixed, containing the problem, while allowing almost all players to continue playing.

The bad: The default account-lock message is intimidating, by design. so was disconcerting and scary for users who knew they'd done nothing wrong.

The Suggestion: Allow the account-lock message to be customized by the admin setting the ban, perhaps from an optional "public notes" field, to allow such account locks to be handled in a more user-friendly manner, and even be changed as time goes on to allow status updates to be given to those repeatedly trying to log in.

As a far less-effective alternative, the popup could at least direct users to a (no-login-required) support page, which can be changed faster a client update can be pushed to update the popup. Without a login, this will not be able to give per-user customized info, though.

Benefits: This would allow banned people to see helpful info, like reason and duration of a suspension (if entered), and pointers to the correct appeals process (if any), which could be helpful for reducing the appeals support burden, as well as reducing "why was I banned?" support tickets. For widespread non-punitive issues like the current one, this would smooth the experience of those affected, with knock-on effects to the whole community seeing less of that pain..
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a sensible suggestion and I'm sure they'll consider doing it now.

But my guess is that before this, the notion of an error of this type and magnitude was so unthinkable that they were just doing their best to prevent it happening.
    Options