The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Done 10 BGs for the event, seen a Necro.

RetPing
RetPing
✭✭✭✭✭
One, just one.

It is obvious that people didn't understand what you have done with it. We have clearly missed the meaning of the changes.
Could the combat team come here on the forum and explain?
Thanks
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like players understand perfectly.
  • IncultaWolf
    IncultaWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I go into pvp with a few of my friends, we usually laugh and joke when or if we finally see one necromancer after hours of playing, and they usually get focused first, because they're always the easiest players to kill since the class itself is so weak. It's pretty sad how useless they have become. I mean you literally have content creators/streamers who refuse to play necro even for money lol.

You can make necromancer "playable" on the right build, but it's still going to be bad and be the worst class in the game, so you're basically just nerfing yourself. It's that far behind other classes.
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently got a Master's Inferno staff so I was looking forward to making a dot magcro build (because the new skill buffed dots and the new third flame skull has decent burst, so i was looking forward to pairing it with flame clench knockback). Then I found out that flame clench no longer has a dot because you traded it for the knock back.

So I didn't bother anymore.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • RetPing
    RetPing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like players understand perfectly.

Naaa, must be another case of players Knee jerk reaction (cit. Rich Lambert)

Since developers knows a lot better I expect them to educate us on the matter.

Pretty please? Someone can come here and explain us?
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can make necromancer "playable" on the right build, but it's still going to be bad and be the worst class in the game, so you're basically just nerfing yourself. It's that far behind other classes.

It's not bad if you limit yourself to one bar builds with 3 attack abilities. Necro was my best until they elevated sorc and nb in update 41, and still the best offensively.
    Edited by moo_2021 on March 18, 2024 7:53PM
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Saw a necro in a Deathmatch during Midyear Mayhem. Felt like a minigame where everyone stopped what they were doing to be the one to kill it first. It has become such a sad class
  • VinnyGambini
    VinnyGambini
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like a good idea to do like 20 bgs and test what classes are currently played. I maybe make it myself and post results.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PvP necro has to spend so much of the engagement just managing their short mismatched timers that there's little chance to attack, plus they're forced to use weak generic skills for baseline major buffs that most other class kits get.

So it's not only awful to play necro, but also awful to play against because tab targeting still doesn't prevent Blastbones from randomly body blocking, so at this point I'm kinda glad there aren't many of them.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw a necro in a Deathmatch during Midyear Mayhem. Felt like a minigame where everyone stopped what they were doing to be the one to kill it first. It has become such a sad class

Are you on Xbox? Because this is exactly what it feels like to be me.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

PS NA. Its kind of like the old days when you would see a DK and everyone would do the same thing. I don't know why ESO seems to intentionally make a punching bag class for PVP
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I go into pvp with a few of my friends, we usually laugh and joke when or if we finally see one necromancer after hours of playing, and they usually get focused first, because they're always the easiest players to kill since the class itself is so weak. It's pretty sad how useless they have become. I mean you literally have content creators/streamers who refuse to play necro even for money lol.

Basically, yeah. I delete the Kill 20 Necromancers quest whenever it comes up, as I know I'll never finish it in a timely fashion.

I personally only play my Necro for the tier one rewards (sometimes I stick it out to tier three), and it is solely relegated to being a high ultimate regen revive/Colossus bot for my guild in those instances. It's still really good in that role, but also kind of boring. I would never, ever, ever try to 1vX with it or even zerg surf with it. Most useless class. And to think, there was once a time when Cyrodiil was full of Bashcros, making people rage quit...
    Edited by Aurielle on March 27, 2024 4:05PM
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

PS NA. Its kind of like the old days when you would see a DK and everyone would do the same thing. I don't know why ESO seems to intentionally make a punching bag class for PVP

This was all sorcs in U35/36 (and magsorc for much, much longer) and warden before that in U33/34.

Necro's time for buffs will come (hopefully soon since ZOS are at least looking at the class in terms of potential buffs now), just like DK, NB, Warden and Sorc eventually got/are getting their turn.

Agreed that there shouldn't be such an obvious punching bag of a class though, I get they want players to change classes, but this is very easy to do while still keeping all classes relatively close in power level (the meta chasers will always want that additional 5-10% of power that the strongest class would have under these more evenly balanced changes).

Plar is a weird case, technically the class has all it needs. It would even be in a really good spot if only for 1 thing. PotL/PL needs to be much easier to reach that capped damage in PvP (maybe have it copy the damage values before battle-spirits mitigation is applied, since the hard cap now prevents it from reaching the levels of absurdity that it could reach before U35).
  • soelslaev
    soelslaev
    ✭✭
    PvP necro has to spend so much of the engagement just managing their short mismatched timers that there's little chance to attack...

OMG! Yes! You nailed it!

See, I don't pay any attention to the best builds and all this, I just kinda experiment with whatever catches my interest at the moment, and see what I can achieve with whatever sets drop in my lap from doing random activities. No farming. No watching vids. No reading build blogs. Nothing.

So yeah, I had a stamina necro support tank running around in Cyro & Imp City, and yeah, it does nothing but constantly restarts timers. It's kinda crazy. I mean, my team survived or bounced back from a lot more bombers than usual because of me, but still, can't do a thing on my own. I mean like a full 15 minute fight to slowly wear down an Imp City Sewer flag boss if I'm solo. Other players? LOL, forget it. I surprise the *** out of gankers but can't build the damage to kill them before they disappear.
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to see ESO remove all the common buffs so we can have real secondary weapons and more active combat abilities.

If I lose my oak ring, I'd have to slot at least 3 buff skills and that leaves only 2 extra active ones for the pain of staring at buff timers and wasting GCD.
  • soelslaev
    soelslaev
    ✭✭
    moo_2021 wrote: »
    I'd love to see ESO remove all the common buffs so we can have real secondary weapons and more active combat abilities.

Heh. I see someone has been playing a certain mmorpg in which the elf-type race are sentient animated plants.
  • BetweenMidgets
    BetweenMidgets
    ✭✭✭✭
    The "Kill 20 Necros" quest is my small man groups joke/troll quest share. It's like 3 towns. Maybe you'll get it done eventually, but its going to take a LONG time.
  • Dkrewe
    Dkrewe
    ✭✭
    soelslaev wrote: »
    PvP necro has to spend so much of the engagement just managing their short mismatched timers that there's little chance to attack...

OMG! Yes! You nailed it!

See, I don't pay any attention to the best builds and all this, I just kinda experiment with whatever catches my interest at the moment, and see what I can achieve with whatever sets drop in my lap from doing random activities. No farming. No watching vids. No reading build blogs. Nothing.

So yeah, I had a stamina necro support tank running around in Cyro & Imp City, and yeah, it does nothing but constantly restarts timers. It's kinda crazy. I mean, my team survived or bounced back from a lot more bombers than usual because of me, but still, can't do a thing on my own. I mean like a full 15 minute fight to slowly wear down an Imp City Sewer flag boss if I'm solo. Other players? LOL, forget it. I surprise the *** out of gankers but can't build the damage to kill them before they disappear.

Used to be you could run a DoT build and still have some offensive power while you play the buff timer minigame. However, the dev team decided that only Poison builds and DKs are allowed to kill people with stacking DoTs because of the crying. The class was DESIGNED to be a buff-and-rot class offensively but then they literally murdered any magicka DoT potential.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DoT passive in the class but no class sticky DoT. An example of the cluster of the "wtf am I supposed to do with this" parts that make up the Necro class.
    I'm making an updated version of my Necro ideas thread from 2023 (https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/633137/suggestions-for-necromancer-changes). One thing that ZOS has been doing lately is making skills require less micromanagement and loading them with multiple functions:
    Cephaliarch's Flail:
    Infuse your arm with abyssal magic to form tentacles that lash out at your foes dealing 1939 Physical Damage, healing yourself for 969, and generating Crux. Enemies are immobilized for 3 seconds and marked with Abyssal Ink for 20 seconds. Deals up to 100% more damage to enemies with less than 50% Health. You deal 5% increased damage to enemies drenched in Abyssal Ink.

Tome-Bearer's Inspiration:
    Etch a series of runes onto your weapon that pulse with power once every 5 seconds. Each pulse enhances your class abilities, and striking an enemy with one deals an additional 1161 Magic Damage and generates Crux if you have none. While slotted on either ability bar, gain Major Brutality and Major Sorcery, increasing your Weapon and Spell Damage by 20%.

The Necro needs this same treatment.

Blighted Blastbones: cost determined by the highest resource.
    (I have mourned the loss of Stalking Blastbones and I have accepted that fact that I'm just going to have to change my Necro)

Death Scythe:
    As I have seen suggested on the forums, both morphs of the Necro scythe should get execute scaling. I agree that this would be a great and very needed addition.
    - Hungry Scythe: should also apply life steal to all enemies hit.

Skeletal Arcanist/Archer: grants major sorcery/brutality when slotted on either bar. Increase the damage that their attacks do.

Shocking Siphon: while slotted on either bar grants major prophecy/savagery and increases damage done by 3%. The AOE remains on the ground even if the tether breaks early. *Increase the radius size.
    - Mystic Siphon: the increased Health, Magicka, and Stamina Recovery persists even if the tether breaks early.
    - Detonating Syphon: the damage AOE now sticks to you.

Flame Skull:
    - Riccochet Skull/Venom Skull:
    applies burning/poisoned status effects. (Increase travel speed)

Spirit Mender: when active, applies minor cowardice to attackers.

Bone Totem: summons an effigy of bones up to 28 meters away. After 1 second, the totem begins fearing nearby enemies every 2 seconds, causing them to cower in place for 4 seconds. (Changed to allow both morphs to be targeted)
    - Warding Totem: (Formerly Remote Totem) grants minor protection when standing in the area of effect.
    - Agony Totem: afflicts enemies in the area of effect with minor vulnerability.

Restoring Tether: the effects persist on the player even if the tether breaks early.

Render Flesh:
    - Resistant Flesh: (remains unchanged)
    - Blood Sacrifice: consumes a corpse to grant you Major Courage (or Major Berserk) for 10 seconds.

Expunge: reduces the cost of all your abilities by 3% while slotted on either bar.

Bitter Harvest: when slotted on either bar, reduces your damage taken by 3%.

ULTIMATES:
    Frozen Colossus: Unleash a decayed Flesh Colossus to pulverize enemies in the area. The Colossus smashes the ground three times over 3 seconds. Dealing damage applies Major Vulnerability to any enemy hit for 12 seconds.
    - Glacial Colossus: does frost damage and stuns enemies on the second hit instead of the third.
    - Pestilent Colossus: smashes the ground only once and does disease damage. Afflicts enemies with a pestilence that does damage over time.

Animate Blastbones: instead of resurrecting allies, this ultimate summons up to three blastbones to attack the nearest opponent. Summoned Blastbones are immune to being crowd controlled (other than by another ultimate). Reduce the cost of this ultimate to 200, down from 320, to make it more usable.

(3-15-2024: a video discussing these ideas)

https://youtu.be/s03c5jlZhaQ?si=wZUIjM1YkDQSMqnC