The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What's the point of this new mythic?

aliferis
aliferis
✭✭
Why did they even add this new mythic to the game it seem terrible when they could've just add more new pvp sets, buff old sets, or add craftable sets come on ZOS thsi has to be one of the worst mythics ever added to the game. like i could see a new character wearing it but mythics are cp150 so you cant do that so why?
Guar KING
  • LannStone
    LannStone
    ✭✭✭✭
    aliferis wrote: »
    Why did they even add this new mythic to the game it seem terrible when they could've just add more new pvp sets, buff old sets, or add craftable sets come on ZOS thsi has to be one of the worst mythics ever added to the game. like i could see a new character wearing it but mythics are cp150 so you cant do that so why?

What mythic? I am missing what you're referring to.
  • Kite42
    Kite42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No proc, no problem
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LannStone wrote: »

What mythic? I am missing what you're referring to.

The new necklace, from IA.
    Yes, it is an inutility.
    I'm farming it just for codecs.
    Edited by Rishikesa108 on March 28, 2024 4:08AM
    Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given that all of its leads are found within the Infinite Archive, it's probably meant to help newer players who don't have a build set up to get into the Infinite Archive. That's actually one of the complaints new players have — unlike other roguelike games, the Infinite Archive is too dependent on which equipment you start with.

Normally in roguelikes, you start with nothing each run and gradually build up power. The Torc of the Ayleid King is probably meant to remove the need for a proper build when beginning a run in the Infinite Archive.
    PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it is for no-CP no Proc PvP?
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I put it on it on a tank so I don't have to carry extra armor for overland stuff.
  • aliferis
    aliferis
    ✭✭
    but it doesn't just disable the 6 piece it disables all 1, 2, 3, 4 piece bonuses
    Guar KING
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (1 item) Reduce Damage Taken by 15%. Adds 1337 Weapon and Spell Damage. Adds 500 Magicka and Stamina Recovery. Disable all other item set bonuses.

Seems like a huge waste of time to bother with.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given that all of its leads are found within the Infinite Archive, it's probably meant to help newer players who don't have a build set up to get into the Infinite Archive...

I am sorry this first sentence is frying my brain a little. (Wait, does this mean I am an AI construct? 😆)

I think it’s meant for people who just want to wear whatever stat gear they want and not worry if that gear completes a set.

• Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    I think it’s meant for people who just want to wear whatever stat gear they want and not worry if that gear completes a set.

Are set stat bonuses not set bonuses? If a set piece gives 1487 offensive penetration, the mythic does not disable that?
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • AlterBlika
    AlterBlika
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

Are set stat bonuses not set bonuses? If a set piece gives 1487 offensive penetration, the mythic does not disable that?

It would be too good if it didn't disable them as well.
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given that all of its leads are found within the Infinite Archive, it's probably meant to help newer players who don't have a build set up to get into the Infinite Archive...

I am sorry this first sentence is frying my brain a little. (Wait, does this mean I am an AI construct? 😆)

The IA is a roguelike experience, which means you are meant to play it repeatedly and get stronger each time. Players won't start out their first run with the gear they want to have — they're expected to keep playing to eventually reach that point.

Yes, it sounds contradictory. But, the mythic serves as a reward for those who can keep playing the IA with a single item which can singlehandedly replace a carefully-crafted build.

I do think that the Alyeid King mythic was designed to get new players (since IA is for players of any skill level) up to a point where they can compete with intentionally-crafted builds. New players generally don't know how the deck building part of equipment sets works, so they'll end up wearing a mix of different armor sets and may never properly get 5-piece bonuses — this Mythic replaces the need for that aspect of combat.

• MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The IA is a roguelike experience, which means you are meant to play it repeatedly and get stronger each time. Players won't start out their first run with the gear they want to have — they're expected to keep playing to eventually reach that point.

Yes, it sounds contradictory. But, the mythic serves as a reward for those who can keep playing the IA with a single item which can singlehandedly replace a carefully-crafted build.

I do think that the Alyeid King mythic was designed to get new players (since IA is for players of any skill level) up to a point where they can compete with intentionally-crafted builds. New players generally don't know how the deck building part of equipment sets works, so they'll end up wearing a mix of different armor sets and may never properly get 5-piece bonuses — this Mythic replaces the need for that aspect of combat.

Hmm, I was a new player not that long ago and I thought that the 5 piece bonus part of sets was really obvious. And ESO is the first and only video game I've ever played. I have to think that people who have a general experience will have no problem understanding that.

Also I think newer players are better served by just using the queue for a dungeon system. In a 4 person group they can see how combat works watch other players and get gear all at once. And the dungeon system is set up to unlock dungeons in order of difficulty.
    PS5/NA
  • Alaztor91
    Alaztor91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was it fixed so that you can at least use it in No-Cp No-Proc?
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, I was a new player not that long ago and I thought that the 5 piece bonus part of sets was really obvious. And ESO is the first and only video game I've ever played. I have to think that people who have a general experience will have no problem understanding that.

Also I think newer players are better served by just using the queue for a dungeon system. In a 4 person group they can see how combat works watch other players and get gear all at once. And the dungeon system is set up to unlock dungeons in order of difficulty.

Not every new player learns the same or has the same experience as one another. I, too, learned how the 5-piece bonuses work fairly quickly, but I'm not representative of the ESO playerbase as a whole. There may be way more convenient ways to learn how the game works than by visiting the Infinite Archive, but I'm willing to bet that ZOS has statistics for a considerable portion of the playerbase who would benefit from such a Mythic being earned from such a place. It is a place for players of any skill level, after all.

I can only speculate — I find it difficult to believe, myself. But, I think there's a pattern to introducing a Mythic like this from a place like that. I assume ZOS knows something I don't. And, it kind of makes sense by some stretch of the imagination.

I could also speculate that this Mythic was designed for dueling tournaments — but it doesn't give any obvious VFX that it's being used, so that makes it hard to enforce in practice. Maybe the Mythic was designed for No-Proc PvP — but it doesn't work there for whatever reason, so that's either an oversight, a bug, or implemented like that by design. Maybe the leads all come from the Infinite Archive because ZOS wants to motivate players to return to the Infinite Archive some time after its release last year? If so, why put all 5 leads there, when some of the leads could've come from the new dungeons?

ZOS has specifically stated that they want this Mythic to be for people who don't care for the deck building aspect of combat, which makes sense. I could imagine maybe a new player who doesn't know about the deck building aspect of the game might encounter the Mythic and consider using it. But, like Oakensoul or Velothi, it's a Mythic trying to perform some sort of fundamental gameplay-altering function, like disabling or otherwise removing the need for bar swap/light attack weaving/set bonuses to stay competitive. It'd be easier if these functions were available in the settings menu, especially for cases like Oakensoul or Velothi which can make the game easier to play for certain people, but instead for each Mythic we have a large prerequisite list of tasks we must complete before we unlock the items, of which we can only use one at a time.

So, maybe it's not for new players. At least, it's not for new players who are below Level 50, CP 160 and who haven't leveled up their Scrying and Excavation skill lines. Is it possible to still be regarded as a "new player" if you can get to that point? What are the chances you'd never learn about set bonuses by that point? Theoretically, it's not impossible — just imagine if a new player's friend powerleveled them up, then the new player joins the Antiquarian Circle and digs around for treasure for a bit, then visits the Infinite Archive, all without paying attention to how item sets work? It's possible, although I'd consider it improbable.

• Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS explicitly stated that it is for people who don't want to play the gear theorycrafting mini game. Just pop this on, get defensive/offensive/support bonuses that are in the ballpark of (but not quite as good as) wearing a meta build. Then just go play. While they are probably not the type to spend lots of time on forum, there are lots of casual players who are intimated and confused by the 5,000,000 sets in the game and what just got buffed and nerfed and what works best for this class and this race and this role, etc. This short circuits that and gets you some quite good general purposes stats for the less diehard players who still want to feel a nice bump in power and effectiveness from a very simple gear approach.

It is absolutely not meant to be best in slot for any niche game mode or playstyle, except maybe convenience and simplicity.
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let them use it. Let them say what they want. Let them have it.

There is always a price to pay for the choices we make and choosing an easy road just to completely negate any responsibility for learning the game, will cost them and anyone else who uses this in that manner.

In short, in the hands of someone who doesn't understand builds, hates the rest of us who worked hard to learn, for them this will literally be the noise before defeat.
    Edited by Vulkunne on April 2, 2024 2:36AM
    We Know...
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly setting up gear just isn't that hard. Compared to skills and damage and damage types and AOE/DoT/Single target/direct damage, it's a piece of cake! If zos wants to make something simpler that would get my vote. But five set+? No, comparatively it's so much easier.

I have no idea why anyone would use this mythic. I think the OP is right.

Oh, maybe if I could use it while leveling. WHile leveling trying to a 5 piece set isn't worth it because one goes thru the levels so fast, but since that means a hodge podge this mythic would really work there. But of course that's not possible.

Edited by MidniteOwl1913 on April 2, 2024 3:30AM
    PS5/NA
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alaztor91 wrote: »
    Was it fixed so that you can at least use it in No-Cp No-Proc?

Good luck getting ZOS to post a list of what sets work and which don't in Ravenwatch. That's been asked for for years.
  • Reginald_leBlem
    Reginald_leBlem
    ✭✭✭✭
    1) It currently doesn't work in no proc pvp so it's not for there

2) To wear it you need to be at least CP 160, own Skyrim, and farm Infinite Archive, so it's not for new players

3) It's a mythic item. You need to know it exists, care it exists, run content that gets progressively harder to get the leads, and then dig them up, so while in theory this is meant for people who don't want to bother with a build, is it really? Is this actually easier than wearing the same mediocre crafted set for 5 years?

I've been wondering who this mythic was for since they announced it, and I've yet to hear of anyone make serious use of it.

• BenTSG
    BenTSG
    ✭✭✭✭
    I personally use it to attempt to gimp meself for questing without having to waste space on useless gear.
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2) To wear it you need to be at least CP 160, own Skyrim, and farm Infinite Archive, so it's not for new players

3) It's a mythic item. You need to know it exists, care it exists, run content that gets progressively harder to get the leads, and then dig them up, so while in theory this is meant for people who don't want to bother with a build, is it really? Is this actually easier than wearing the same mediocre crafted set for 5 years?

I've been wondering who this mythic was for since they announced it, and I've yet to hear of anyone make serious use of it.

Are you sure it does not work in Ravenwatch? I went in there today with the Torc and it seemed to adjust my stats correctly just like in overland.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    furiouslog wrote: »

Are you sure it does not work in Ravenwatch? I went in there today with the Torc and it seemed to adjust my stats correctly just like in overland.

It does not work
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BenTSG wrote: »
    I personally use it to attempt to gimp meself for questing without having to waste space on useless gear.

So you're saying this is the "harder overland" that people have been asking for? Just strip down to your torc and go to town?

Makes perfect sense.
  • BenTSG
    BenTSG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    BenTSG wrote: »

So you're saying this is the "harder overland" that people have been asking for? Just strip down to your torc and go to town?

Makes perfect sense.

Oh not at all, this is extremely far from making overland "harder", but until I see the issue addressed, I'm going to use what I can. This at least disables my item sets, tied with removing my CP points and having no food, it's at least *something*. I see little other use for it otherwise

I also came across a addon called PinKiller that's started to make questing a little more enjoyable too. A little.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its for "naked" runs. You put that on + 1 weapon, and only use what drops in Infinite archive as you run and see how many Arcs you can do. The one that does the most gets a sweetroll.

Playing since beta...