The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Raising the Dead a Necromancer Rework

Deimus
Deimus
✭✭✭
I posted on the PTS my idea for a Blastbones rework that would address all of the pain points that were mentioned. A less demanding rotation, while leaning into the DoT direction and providing ranged corpses. My main is dead for the time being, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents for changes that I believe will make the class feel more cohesive thematically and practically while granting an engaging playstyle.

Grave Lord Tree

Flame Skull I'll start by saying I love the animation for this skill, and hope it never goes away. The GLS boost to this skill should honestly be a part of the Flame Skull skill itself have the 3rd cast create a corpse and deal AoE damage, but I'd also tack on undodgeable to the base skill like Warden's Cliff Racer dive used to have.

Sacrificial Bones Would perform like the old skill where it runs and explodes on the target enemy. After the initial AoE blast all enemies hit will be afflicted with a 10 second DoT that will have two larger ticks. Each of the larger ticks will create a corpse and in total will deal 10800 damage over its duration which is the equivalent of 3 blastbones so over the course of 12.5 seconds you'd have 4 "blastbones" with one cast. For 10 seconds after Sacrificial Bones hits increase all damage from Necromancer skills and DoTs by 5%. Increased Magicka cost to 4500 if the DoT doesn't find a target the bone fragments return to the caster restoring 1500 Magicka.
  • Grave Lord's Possession This morph would also apply Minor Cowardice to targets in the AoE blast while granting the caster Minor Courage for 10 seconds. If the DoT is cleansed prematurely one of the larger ticks will automatically trigger.

Boneyard I'd keep this skill the same with one exception. Desecrate the ground at target location for 10 seconds applying "Touch of the Grave" a sticky DoT that attaches to all enemies who enter the desecrated ground dealing 3080 Frost Damage over 10 seconds. If a corpse was consumed on cast Touch of the Grave deals 30% more damage. An ally standing in the graveyard can activate the Grave Robber synergy, dealing 2249 Frost Damage to enemies in the area and healing for the damage done.

Skeletal Mage First thing I would do is increase the tooltip damage by 50% from 462 to 693Shock Damage every 2 seconds I'd do the same for both morphs. The second thing is adding Major Brutality/Sorcery to the skill in one of two ways while the minion is active, or when slotted on either bar. The final is adding this skill to the list of controllable pets.

Shocking Siphon This is probably my most controversial idea for a Necromancer rework. I like the idea of the tethers and think they are visually great, but hamper mobility immensely unless the Necromancer becomes the focal point of the skill. So I would remove this skill and replace it with:
Flesh Atronach Created to do your bidding the Flesh Atronach will deal 500 Shock Damage to an enemy (Will be controllable). If this ability is recast while active the Atronach will do a slam attack on targeted enemy dealing 1000 damage and an stunning the target for 2 seconds (unblockable). While slotted on either bar increases your damage done by 3%. Requires three corpses to cast and remains until killed or dismissed. Does not leave a usable corpse.
  • Conductive Stitching This morph will turn the slam into an AoE giving a 4 second snare to additional enemies around the target, and will increases the duration of the stun and snare by 10% per corpse in the area up to 30%. While the minion is active increases your Health, Magicka, and Stamina Recovery by 75
  • Putrid Flesh Converts the Shock damage to 600 Poison Damage. When killed or recast instead of the stun ability the Atronach will explode for 3000 Disease Damage. The explosion can consume up to 2 corpses within 8 meters, each corpse increasing the damage by 25%. If recast you will be able to direct where the Atronach goes to explode.

Bone Tyrant Tree

Death Scythe I'd add a scaling execute to this skill and its morphs to deal up to 300% increased damage to enemies under 40% Health.

Summoner's Armor I'd increase the duration of this morph from 20 seconds up to 30 seconds. Recasting corpse generating abilities after they have been active for 10 seconds drops a corpse regardless, and Necromancer already has so many short timers to juggle. So in a minion centered playstyle it will alleviate the feeling of being a buff simulator.

Disdain Harm While a Bone Tyrant ability is active gain Minor Resolve and reduce the damage you take from DoT abilities by 15%.

Bone Totem I would move the buff to increase your minion's damage and healing by 500 from Empowering Grasp to the Totem and its morphs while active and lower the potency from 1000 to 500. Thematically the totem is there to enhance yourself and allies while cursing your enemies so if a move is going to buff your minions this should be the one to do it. My other reason is getting your minions in the Empowering grasp effect is extremely difficult and unreliable, but taking the difficulty into account I cut the buff in half for the totem.

Grave Grasp Another really cool visual skill, but not very useful in application. I would change the ability to be placed manually, and have a larger consolidated area split into 3 zones. The Outer ring will snare, immobilize in the middle ring, and stun in the center. Applying Minor Main to enemies in all 3 zones.
  • Ghostly Embrace Skeletal hands stun target for 3 seconds and immobilize enemies within 3 meters of the target. Enemies in the area are afflicted with Minor Maim and Minor Mangle. If the target is immune to cc it takes 1200 Frost Damage instead.
  • Empowering Grasp Still grants Empower and reduces the cost, but the minion buff is moved to Bone Totem.

Living Death Tree

Expunge Give the ability cost reduction of 3% the on either bar treatment for this skill and its morphs.

Spirit Mender Increase the healing of mender and both morphs by 30% and change the duration for the base skill and the Spirit Guardian morph from 16 seconds to 20 seconds.

Restoring Tether I would change how the tether works. Either it ignores LoS between the corpse and the caster as it's a spiritual construct not a physical one, or if it must break from LoS the heal will radiate from the corpse and caster each at 50% reduced potency and will automatically reconnect once LoS is established again.

Thank you for reading and if you see any errors or have feedback on something please share it. In this situation no attention is bad attention and the more interaction the higher the chance a Silent Watcher will read this.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think summoning a flesh atro would be cool. I would like something to replace that stamina and Magicka return from shocking siphon though.
    I'm making an updated version of my Necro ideas thread from 2023 (https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/633137/suggestions-for-necromancer-changes). One thing that ZOS has been doing lately is making skills require less micromanagement and loading them with multiple functions:
    Cephaliarch's Flail:
    Infuse your arm with abyssal magic to form tentacles that lash out at your foes dealing 1939 Physical Damage, healing yourself for 969, and generating Crux. Enemies are immobilized for 3 seconds and marked with Abyssal Ink for 20 seconds. Deals up to 100% more damage to enemies with less than 50% Health. You deal 5% increased damage to enemies drenched in Abyssal Ink.

Tome-Bearer's Inspiration:
    Etch a series of runes onto your weapon that pulse with power once every 5 seconds. Each pulse enhances your class abilities, and striking an enemy with one deals an additional 1161 Magic Damage and generates Crux if you have none. While slotted on either ability bar, gain Major Brutality and Major Sorcery, increasing your Weapon and Spell Damage by 20%.

The Necro needs this same treatment.

Blighted Blastbones: cost determined by the highest resource.
    (I have mourned the loss of Stalking Blastbones and I have accepted that fact that I'm just going to have to change my Necro)

Death Scythe:
    As I have seen suggested on the forums, both morphs of the Necro scythe should get execute scaling. I agree that this would be a great and very needed addition.
    - Hungry Scythe: should also apply life steal to all enemies hit.

Skeletal Arcanist/Archer: grants major sorcery/brutality when slotted on either bar. Increase the damage that their attacks do.

Shocking Siphon: while slotted on either bar grants major prophecy/savagery and increases damage done by 3%. The AOE remains on the ground even if the tether breaks early. *Increase the radius size.
    - Mystic Siphon: the increased Health, Magicka, and Stamina Recovery persists even if the tether breaks early.
    - Detonating Syphon: the damage AOE now sticks to you.

Flame Skull:
    - Riccochet Skull/Venom Skull:
    applies burning/poisoned status effects. (Increase travel speed)

Spirit Mender: when active, applies minor cowardice to attackers.

Bone Totem: summons an effigy of bones up to 28 meters away. After 1 second, the totem begins fearing nearby enemies every 2 seconds, causing them to cower in place for 4 seconds. (Changed to allow both morphs to be targeted)
    - Warding Totem: (Formerly Remote Totem) grants minor protection when standing in the area of effect.
    - Agony Totem: afflicts enemies in the area of effect with minor vulnerability.

Restoring Tether: the effects persist on the player even if the tether breaks early.

Render Flesh:
    - Resistant Flesh: (remains unchanged)
    - Blood Sacrifice: consumes a corpse to grant you Major Courage (or Major Berserk) for 10 seconds.

Expunge: reduces the cost of all your abilities by 3% while slotted on either bar.

Bitter Harvest: when slotted on either bar, reduces your damage taken by 3%.

ULTIMATES:
    Frozen Colossus: Unleash a decayed Flesh Colossus to pulverize enemies in the area. The Colossus smashes the ground three times over 3 seconds. Dealing damage applies Major Vulnerability to any enemy hit for 12 seconds.
    - Glacial Colossus: does frost damage and stuns enemies on the second hit instead of the third.
    - Pestilent Colossus: smashes the ground only once and does disease damage. Afflicts enemies with a pestilence that does damage over time.

Animate Blastbones: instead of resurrecting allies, this ultimate summons up to three blastbones to attack the nearest opponent. Summoned Blastbones are immune to being crowd controlled (other than by another ultimate). Reduce the cost of this ultimate to 200, down from 320, to make it more usable.

(3-15-2024: a video discussing these ideas)

https://youtu.be/s03c5jlZhaQ?si=wZUIjM1YkDQSMqnC
  • Deimus
    Deimus
    ✭✭✭
    I think summoning a flesh atro would be cool. I would like something to replace that stamina and Magicka return from shocking siphon though.
    I'm making an updated version of my Necro ideas thread from 2023 (https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/633137/suggestions-for-necromancer-changes). One thing that ZOS has been doing lately is making skills require less micromanagement and loading them with multiple functions:
    Cephaliarch's Flail:
    Infuse your arm with abyssal magic to form tentacles that lash out at your foes dealing 1939 Physical Damage, healing yourself for 969, and generating Crux. Enemies are immobilized for 3 seconds and marked with Abyssal Ink for 20 seconds. Deals up to 100% more damage to enemies with less than 50% Health. You deal 5% increased damage to enemies drenched in Abyssal Ink.

Tome-Bearer's Inspiration:
    Etch a series of runes onto your weapon that pulse with power once every 5 seconds. Each pulse enhances your class abilities, and striking an enemy with one deals an additional 1161 Magic Damage and generates Crux if you have none. While slotted on either ability bar, gain Major Brutality and Major Sorcery, increasing your Weapon and Spell Damage by 20%.

The Necro needs this same treatment.

Blighted Blastbones: cost determined by the highest resource.
    (I have mourned the loss of Stalking Blastbones and I have accepted that fact that I'm just going to have to change my Necro)

Death Scythe:
    As I have seen suggested on the forums, both morphs of the Necro scythe should get execute scaling. I agree that this would be a great and very needed addition.
    - Hungry Scythe: should also apply life steal to all enemies hit.

Skeletal Arcanist/Archer: grants major sorcery/brutality when slotted on either bar. Increase the damage that their attacks do.

Shocking Siphon: while slotted on either bar grants major prophecy/savagery and increases damage done by 3%. The AOE remains on the ground even if the tether breaks early. *Increase the radius size.
    - Mystic Siphon: the increased Health, Magicka, and Stamina Recovery persists even if the tether breaks early.
    - Detonating Syphon: the damage AOE now sticks to you.

Flame Skull:
    - Riccochet Skull/Venom Skull:
    applies burning/poisoned status effects. (Increase travel speed)

Spirit Mender: when active, applies minor cowardice to attackers.

Bone Totem: summons an effigy of bones up to 28 meters away. After 1 second, the totem begins fearing nearby enemies every 2 seconds, causing them to cower in place for 4 seconds. (Changed to allow both morphs to be targeted)
    - Warding Totem: (Formerly Remote Totem) grants minor protection when standing in the area of effect.
    - Agony Totem: afflicts enemies in the area of effect with minor vulnerability.

Restoring Tether: the effects persist on the player even if the tether breaks early.

Render Flesh:
    - Resistant Flesh: (remains unchanged)
    - Blood Sacrifice: consumes a corpse to grant you Major Courage (or Major Berserk) for 10 seconds.

Expunge: reduces the cost of all your abilities by 3% while slotted on either bar.

Bitter Harvest: when slotted on either bar, reduces your damage taken by 3%.

ULTIMATES:
    Frozen Colossus: Unleash a decayed Flesh Colossus to pulverize enemies in the area. The Colossus smashes the ground three times over 3 seconds. Dealing damage applies Major Vulnerability to any enemy hit for 12 seconds.
    - Glacial Colossus: does frost damage and stuns enemies on the second hit instead of the third.
    - Pestilent Colossus: smashes the ground only once and does disease damage. Afflicts enemies with a pestilence that does damage over time.

Animate Blastbones: instead of resurrecting allies, this ultimate summons up to three blastbones to attack the nearest opponent. Summoned Blastbones are immune to being crowd controlled (other than by another ultimate). Reduce the cost of this ultimate to 200, down from 320, to make it more usable.

(3-15-2024: a video discussing these ideas)

https://youtu.be/s03c5jlZhaQ?si=wZUIjM1YkDQSMqnC

I gave a 75 increase to Health, Stam, and Magic recovery while active to one of the Flesh Atronach morphs, but it doesn't mesh as well thematically like it does with Mystic Siphon. I contemplated altering the Undead Confederate Passive to give 100 recovery to your attributes per active minion. So in this case when SacBones, Mender, Skeletal Mage, and Flesh Atronach are all active it would give 400 additional recovery.
  • RedFireDisco
    RedFireDisco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly - 2 thumbs up.

Necro needs mega buffs and extra buffs. It's by far and a way the weakest healer and DPS in the game.

It's mid for tanking at best

The issue is it was nerfed because BB and mender had high tooltips but for anyone who played necro, we knew that it was only ever theoretically good. The damage of blastbones was oft mitigated by the fact that it misses targets, gets killed before hitting, or often justs explode in no man's land.

It was ALWAYS better to just role a warden because bugs was set it and forget it.

Mender often healed other players and the heal steal would happen when you most needed it. But they nerfed it into the ground anyways.

Many necros (those few left) use oakensoul because of the massive lack of native buffs and can't use the bone tryant abilites rendering most of those passive completely inert, yet again making another loss for the weakest character.

Pet summons should have 2 morphs - One for longevity one for higher damage and corpse creation.

Simple stuff that never seems to get a second thought while they systematically gutted the class into oblivion
  • Sabre
    Sabre
    ✭✭
    The concept of a necromancer is raising the dead to fight for you while cursing opponents magically. The only good thing about the current state of the necro is that it has a cleanse and the scythe is a nice skill along with the ultimates. Otherwise, the skills are questionable.

Would rather have 3-4 undead pets like the sorcerer - pets such as a skeletal warrior, skeletal mage, an apparition, and maybe a lich or something (there are probably more possibilities - use your imagination). Let the necro put the pets on the back bar and more skills on the front bar. This should be done with the sorc too - have the pets not die when you flip your bar.

Necro also doesn't have the 20% wpn/spell dmg buff. Not having this while other classes have a one cast buff is disappointing. Disappointing also is the fact that the nightblade and templar have have 20% buff attached to an offensive skill use...

Necro might be fun to play if it actually was a necro with some cool undead pets to use with perhaps some dmg, tank, and heal morphs.
    Edited by Sabre on March 26, 2024 8:29AM
  • Deimus
    Deimus
    ✭✭✭
    The issue is it was nerfed because BB and mender had high tooltips but for anyone who played necro, we knew that it was only ever theoretically good. The damage of blastbones was oft mitigated by the fact that it misses targets, gets killed before hitting, or often justs explode in no man's land.

When it came to balance for Necro the only tool in their arsenal was a sledgehammer, but from what we've seen recently with Arcanist they've learned to use a lighter touch on these things. Hopefully that will remain in the future.
    Simple stuff that never seems to get a second thought while they systematically gutted the class into oblivion

The best part is they don't even need to give it much thought. The community has given them so much feedback and possible avenues that they just have to tweak and adapt already existing ideas. We know that the gaming industry has been hijacked by the MBAs that just want to cut cost and raise stock evaluations so use this FREE archive of possibilities from people that play and care about the game. Save time and money.

• Deimus
    Deimus
    ✭✭✭
    Sabre wrote: »
    The concept of a necromancer is raising the dead to fight for you while cursing opponents magically. The only good thing about the current state of the necro is that it has a cleanse and the scythe is a nice skill along with the ultimates. Otherwise, the skills are questionable.

Would rather have 3-4 undead pets like the sorcerer - pets such as a skeletal warrior, skeletal mage, an apparition, and maybe a lich or something (there are probably more possibilities - use your imagination). Let the necro put the pets on the back bar and more skills on the front bar. This should be done with the sorc too - have the pets not die when you flip your bar.

The mechanic to allow pets to remain while bar switching is already there for Necromancer. Have the summon cost corpses as well, they just need to utilize what they've already created. Imo a lot of the class skill fall into this only halfway done feeling. They are good, but missing something to be worth slotting and matching the theme and fantasy of a Necromancer.
    Sabre wrote: »
    Necro also doesn't have the 20% wpn/spell dmg buff. Not having this while other classes have a one cast buff is disappointing. Disappointing also is the fact that the nightblade and templar have have 20% buff attached to an offensive skill use...

You're preaching to the choir. Countless players have screamed from the rooftops and gave multiple ways it could be implemented into the class kit, but for some reason they haven't listened or communicated why.

• CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Before reworking any skills, it'd be great if corpse consumption abilities were actually functional.

This bug has existed since Necrom and has yet to even be acknowledged by the dev team despite many reports:

https://youtu.be/JiyHWrKV2Ew