The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

If you're not using any weapon skills, which do you prefer for frontbar: 2H or DW?

taugrim
taugrim
✭✭✭✭✭
As of the past 6 months or so, I've been favoring DW over 2H for the higher tooltips. According to the tooltips, the damage is ~1.4% better for DW compared to 2H for the same skills (e.g. Biting Jabs, Crescent Sweep).

With that said, I wonder whether I should consider running 2H over DW.

I use Maces or Maul frontbar for the penetration, and both weapons have the same weapon-specific bonuses (Heavy Weapons, Twin Blade and Blunt). There is no equivalent to Daggers with their +3% crit chance (657) per weapon, but that isn't relevant for me.

Distinct 2H passives
* Forceful: Your Light and Heavy Attacks damage up to 3 other nearby enemies for 100% of the damage inflicted to the primary target.
* Battle Rush: Increases your Stamina Recovery by 30% for 10 seconds after killing a target.

Distinct DW passives
* Dual Wield Expert: Increases Weapon and Spell Damage by 6% of off-hand weapon's damage.

Or IOW,
* With 2H, you get better weaving cleave damage and sustain-on-kill
* With DW, you get better damage on everything aside from weaving

In BGs, the sustain from Battle Rush is VERY noticeable.

What say you, sweaty PVPers?
Edited by taugrim on March 17, 2024 5:03AM
PC | NA | CP 2.2k
  • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
  • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
  • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DW you can go nirnhoned + offhand a different passive which gives slightly more iirc.
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No wep skills? DW and it's not even close.

IMO the only compelling reason to choose 2h on a normal PvP build is the bar compression enabled by Rally. Master 2h bombers have their niche, and I've seen some players running 2h execute over DW spin because it's cheaper.

Uppercut needs a morph that can hit reliably in PvP. Cleave needs a larger cone and bigger numbers to be usable in PvP without the Master 2h. Crit Rush with Unleashed looks good on paper but has trouble fitting into builds in practice.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DW almost always. The only exception is I sometimes like 2h with Rush of Agony so I can sprinkle everyone in the pull with light attack damage before slapping down a dawnbreaker.
    Edited by Solariken on March 17, 2024 3:10PM
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    DW.

Battle Rush requires your team to kill someone. You or your team have to be good. In which case it wouldn't matter much.
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dual Wield and it's not even close, the only reason I'd go 2 handed in the first place is for Battle rush or Vateshran Frenzied Momentum arena weapon.

If that's not applicable, dual wield is just the better choice. Since the nerf to Follow Up passive to no longer affect all Direct Damage, 2h is extremely lack luster right now.
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The DW passive Ruffian gives you a 15% damage bonus when attacking stunned, immobilized, disoriented, or silenced enemies. No contest.

Because of this thread though, I now want to make a jabs stamplar with rush of agony and maelstrom 2h with caltrops. 2h is backbar, dw frontbar with rending slashes. Probably Dragon's Appetite for the other 5pc set.
    Edited by HowlKimchi on March 18, 2024 7:00AM
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    I usually go 2h with stamina builds. Rally is a strong heal. Even after 5 seconds it’s still worth tapping again, and the full duration can heal to full health if it crits.

DW for hybrid or magicka melee.
  • AlterBlika
    AlterBlika
    ✭✭✭✭
    2h looks cooler
  • ItsNotLiving
    ItsNotLiving
    ✭✭✭✭
    AlterBlika wrote: »
    2h looks cooler

Biggest draw to 2h tbh
  • ArctosCethlenn
    ArctosCethlenn
    ✭✭✭
    2 traits, 2 enchants to try for different status effects, and 2h weaving has always felt a bit janky/glitchy compared to weaving with any other weapon type.
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HowlKimchi wrote: »
    The DW passive Ruffian gives you a 15% damage bonus when attacking stunned, immobilized, disoriented, or silenced enemies. No contest.

I'm pretty sure Ruffian only applies to dual wield abilities.

If it applied to all damage, that would be crazy good.
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    taugrim wrote: »
    HowlKimchi wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Ruffian only applies to dual wield abilities.

If it applied to all damage, that would be crazy good.

aaand there goes my desire to make the stamplar build. Thanks you just saved me a lot of gold.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi