The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

I need a clear list of DoTs

Redguards_Revenge
Redguards_Revenge
✭✭✭✭
The list Maelstorm dual wield weapons work for.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on January 27, 2024 4:37AM
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not that great of a set right now, wouldn't bother, but the definition of the skills it effects are as stated:

"single target damage over time abilities"

So it has to be effected by both CP nodes for "Thaumaturge" and "Deadly Aim". This is a pretty good resource, showing the CP nodes that effect each skill you look up:

https://eso-hub.com/en/skills

The problematic ones I'm unsure of are AOE skills with Direct damage upfront, that apply dots. Aka, DK's Fiery Flame morphs or Bow's Acid Spray. These are technically AOE skills in application, but the applied dots are considered single target not aoe. The website doesn't show this.

AOE dots are ground based like Volley (bow), Wall of Elements (destruction staff) or applied on the caster like Blade Cloak (dual wield) or Mistform (vampire). Basically, any damage over time that sticks to your target should be single target, dots applied to yourself or on the ground are aoe.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on January 26, 2024 11:44PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
    Options
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic, as it's asking the community for assistance.

Thank you for your understanding
    Options
    Staff Post
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be neat to combine with Oblivion's Foe and Soul Splitting Trap. It doesn't have to be single target, just requires the damage over time is targeted. In this case both Soul Splitting Trap which requires and hits multiple targets with a damage over time then creates a secondary Oblivion's Foe damage over time on them, should grant both effects the increased weapon/spell damage.

This doesn't have to be class specific, but the best choice may be Necromancer with their 10% increased bonus to damage over time. If you're a Templar, throw in Reflective Light / Vampire's Bane. Dragon Knight's Fiery Breath may or may not count, but Searing Strike definitely does and maybe Volatile Armor initial spray. Warden's Swarm and Cutting Dive. Nightblade's Cripple. I'm unsure about Arcanist.
    Options
  • Redguards_Revenge
    Redguards_Revenge
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not that great of a set right now, wouldn't bother, but the definition of the skills it effects are as stated:

So it has to be effected by both CP nodes for "Thaumaturge" and "Deadly Aim". This is a pretty good resource, showing the CP nodes that effect each skill you look up:

The problematic ones I'm unsure of are AOE skills with Direct damage upfront, that apply dots. Aka, DK's Fiery Flame morphs or Bow's Acid Spray. These are technically AOE skills in application, but the applied dots are considered single target not aoe. The website doesn't show this.

AOE dots are ground based like Volley (bow), Wall of Elements (destruction staff) or applied on the caster like Blade Cloak (dual wield) or Mistform (vampire). Basically, any damage over time that sticks to your target should be single target, dots applied to yourself or on the ground are aoe.

Well, that site was great. Never knew how useful it was.

Now here's the problem.

Templar ray isn't affected by Maelstorm Dual Wield. Even though it has both buffs that you said.

Radiant Oppression does not get buffed from the Malestorm dual wield weapon. Now I am wondering why.

I was being vague for a reason. I wanted to see if there was a confirmed list and explanation as to why from ZoS and I missed an update patch note.

I used ray first on one enemy. Then flurried it. Then I turned to another enemy and used the beam. No change in damage from when I used it on the first.

It should have applied it. Unless the Templar Beam isn't considered....
    Edited by Redguards_Revenge on January 27, 2024 5:57PM
    Options
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Beam is not a dot. It's a channeled damage ability. When you stop channeling, the damage stops. Try your test with vampires bane.
    Options
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »
    Beam is not a dot. It's a channeled damage ability. When you stop channeling, the damage stops. Try your test with vampires bane.

Both Templar and Arcanist beams are channeled DoTs. Throw on Thaumaturge and watch their tooltip and damage go up. That won’t happen with direct damage.

Channel is not exclusive with DoT or direct. Everything channeled is still one of those two things. Jabs: channeled direct. Beam: channeled DoT.
    Options
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I didn't know it was boosted by thaumaturge, but one could argue that that's more the thaumaturge classification being strange. Beam damage stops the instant you stop channeling, which isn't really that I think of as a damage over time effect. I realize that channeled isn't exclusive but other than "this one is boosted by thaumaturge and this one isn't", what is the functional difference between jabs and beam that would argue that one is a DoT and the other is not?
    (Also, this same dichotomy exists with the sorc pets, where the Greater Storm Atronach is a dot, while the twilights very similar damage pulses are direct damage).
    Options
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »
    I didn't know it was boosted by thaumaturge, but one could argue that that's more the thaumaturge classification being strange. Beam damage stops the instant you stop channeling, which isn't really that I think of as a damage over time effect. I realize that channeled isn't exclusive but other than "this one is boosted by thaumaturge and this one isn't", what is the functional difference between jabs and beam that would argue that one is a DoT and the other is not?
    (Also, this same dichotomy exists with the sorc pets, where the Greater Storm Atronach is a dot, while the twilights very similar damage pulses are direct damage).

Jabs used to count as a DoT. It doesn’t anymore. They changed that in 2019 with no other explanation than that it had been a weird hybrid. Why Jabs became direct while Beam stayed DoT is not something they rationalized to us. But they confirmed that indirectly by making Arcanist beam a DoT - it behaves the same way as Templar beam but is AoE.

Meanwhile, Ballista is a channeled direct skill even though it keeps going when you swap away. The game is full of inconsistencies.

Templar beam also properly sets off dot sets like Azureblight but not direct damage sets. Jabs was fixed so it doesn’t proc Azureblight, since it’s direct now. (It took them years to fix it, but they finally did.)
    Options
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As far as the OP's question goes, though, that essentially amounts to 'whatever skills the dev who coded the maelstrom DW set felt were dots' and probably effectively means that they'll have to test for themselves.
    Options
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Redguards_Revenge

Cruel Flurry definitely affects Templar beam but it seems to buff only the last tick, which strikes me as a very bad bug.

I just reconstructed three items for a simple test on PTS: two blue Cruel Flurry swords and one blue Rampaging Slash sword to break the set while keeping the other factors identical (traits, glyphs, etc.). Non-perfected, so there wouldn't be any change for that bonus.

Naked template character, no slotted CP, no relevant passives (Illuminate, Balanced Warrior), and only Flurry (base morph) and Radiant Oppression slotted.

I cast Flurry and then Beam with one pair and then changed out the off-hand Rampaging Slash sword for Cruel Flurry to make the set active.

With the broken set (1 Cruel Flurry, 1 Rampaging Slash), I got 1501 for each tick of beam after casting Flurry. (No Sundered)
    I got those same results using the full Cruel Flurry set without casting Flurry first, to ensure the setups were otherwise identical. (They are.)

With the full set (2 Cruel Flurry) and casting Flurry first, I got 1501 for the first two ticks and 2008 for the third. (Again no Sundered.)

The dummy was above 99% for all of that, so there was no issue with any execute damage. It looks like the buff only applies to the third tick, even though I waited until I could see the Cruel Flurry buff icon appear before starting to channel beam.

The damage checks out for the third tick:

The coefficient for each tick of Radiant Oppression, according to UESP, is: 0.047829 MaxStat + 0.50178 MaxDamage - 2.8109

My max stam (higher than max mag) is a constant 21,014, so it contributes 1005 to the tooltip damage.

My weapon/spell damage stat is 2706: 2706 * 0.50178 = 1357 (rounded down from 1357.82)

The tooltip for each tick is 1005 + 1357 - 2.8109 = 2359, giving a total theoretical tooltip of 7077. (Mine is 7080 in game, so the formula is just about correct.)

A 2359 tooltip, when applied to a dummy with 18,200 armor (for 18.2k/50k = 36.3% mitigation), should give 1500 damage, which lines up with the 1501 I'm observing per tick without Cruel Flurry applying.

With Cruel Flurry, I get 1592 added to the 2706 above for a total of 4298 weapon/spell damage that should be used for Beam. That raises the tooltip per tick to 1005 (from max stam) + 2156 (from weapon/spell damage) - 2.8109 = 3158.

The overall tooltip for beam (which includes 3 ticks) should therefore be 9474, which is exactly what I see when I cast Flurry and look at my tooltip for beam.

Each tick should have 3158 * 0.636 = 2008 land, but only the third one sees that higher value.

The fact that the tooltip increases with Cruel Flurry and the fact that the third tick increases exactly as expected suggests that beam IS properly on the list of single-target DoTs affected. The problem is with the implementation in that the first two ticks do not get this buff for some reason.
    Options
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Today's PTS change to Cruel Flurry broke the interaction with Radiant Destruction completely. It now doesn't buff it at all, even though Radiant Destruction is clearly a single target DoT.
    Options
  • Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that site was great. Never knew how useful it was.

Now here's the problem.

Templar ray isn't affected by Maelstorm Dual Wield. Even though it has both buffs that you said.

Radiant Oppression does not get buffed from the Malestorm dual wield weapon. Now I am wondering why.

I was being vague for a reason. I wanted to see if there was a confirmed list and explanation as to why from ZoS and I missed an update patch note.

I used ray first on one enemy. Then flurried it. Then I turned to another enemy and used the beam. No change in damage from when I used it on the first.

It should have applied it. Unless the Templar Beam isn't considered....

Templar beam is considered a channel ability, not a single-target dot, which is different and why the set does not work on it.
    @Djennku, PCNA.

Grand Master crafter, all styles and all furnishing plans known pre U41.
    Vamp and WW bites available for players.
    Shoot me an in-game mail if you need anything, happy to help!
    Options
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should just add "some" before single target dots in the sets tooltip.

Discovery is part of the joy of adventure
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
    Options