Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Furnishing Suggestion: Portals

AlCiao
AlCiao
✭✭✭
Whether it's literal portals, or a pair of doors that effectively teleport you from one to the other (the way doors at the bottoms of many towers in the game teleport you straight to the top), something like that would be awesome as a furnishing for housing.

The reasoning behind my desire for this is the same as for a desire for spiral staircases: having very little room to actually ascend to other floors when we get creative building floors and towers in our houses.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    would be awesome!
    and useful
    Edited by LunaFlora on December 22, 2023 9:47PM
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • ComboBreaker88
    ComboBreaker88
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make it so you can also drop the other end of the portal in another house.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make it so you can also drop the other end of the portal in another house.

Yes, please. :smile:
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely something I'd like and use.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want houses to have less loading screens, not more.
    PCNA
  • mike_skleinub17_ESO
    Either another house, or specify a favorite zone. Maybe a pop up menu that lets you select from unlocked homes
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Loading screens inside of housing for the most part is a good thing.

People think that going through a load screen door puts the player in a different instance, but this is not the case. A "house" takes place in one instance, but the rooms are often placed far apart within that space. This allows for us to sink items into walls without seeing the object protrude into another room. Doors using "load screens" inside of housing are actually teleporting the player into the respective room.

If we did not have rooms separated far apart, placing items through walls or floors would be seen in that space. Waters Edge is a good example of this. You cant sumberge anything into the floor or ceiling or you will see it in that respective room. You can however submerge items into the walls, because the actual buildings inside the instance are far apart.

I have stillwaters retreat and awhile back the devs moved the invisible barrier by accident. I had made a second floor and when I used the second floor I was put outside of the room. I could see wheere each part of the build took place. I could see the lake and all the trees and all my placed objects far above me. I thought the inside part and outside part were separate instances, but they were not. They were both in the same instance.

I used to want less load screens, but they allow for cobbles and submerging items. Allowing us to make custom floors and ceilings etc.

"𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They really need to allow passage through doors in house editor mode.

If they can't do that, then I actually prefer that the doors and loading screens be removed.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

They really need to allow passage through doors in house editor mode.

If they can't do that, then I actually prefer that the doors and loading screens be removed.

I disagree. The mild inconvenience of leaving editor mode to traverse the door for decorating is far outweighed by the freedom afforded of furniture embedding into walls/floors/ceilings.

Without loading screens, we would not be able to change floors, ceilings, create walls or do most of the custom stuff we do as those furniture pieces would now clip through any surface they are embedded into and we would see them on the other side of that wall/ceiling/floor.

Edited by Pixiepumpkin on January 3, 2024 11:09AM
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As long as this were something that would be added by the player I would be okay with it. I can’t see myself using such a thing but others seem to want it.

I completely dislike the Hall of the Lunar Champion design with built-in portals front the small central room.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as this were something that would be added by the player I would be okay with it. I can’t see myself using such a thing but others seem to want it.

I completely dislike the Hall of the Lunar Champion design with built-in portals front the small central room.

I also dislike the Hall of the Lunar Champion design and didn't even open the side portals or use it for a very long time because of this.

Several of the newer houses have so many doorways with loading screens that I passed on them because of this.
    PCNA
  • AlCiao
    AlCiao
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm not asking for more houses with native portals, like Agony's Ascent or Hall of the Lunar Champion. I'm asking for a portal furnishing the player can place.

I think having portals connect to other instances (other houses, other zones) is probably far too difficult a thing to code and/or stress the servers with, but being able to instantly "door up" to another place in the same house would be very convenient without having to figure out stair placement in a tight space.

I second the idea of being able to go through doors in editor mode. It's a mild inconvenience, but it's still an inconvenience.
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems like two different things are being referred to as "loading screens" here:

1. The system in older homes and areas like Sleek Creek and Rawl'Kha: milliseconds of a black screen allow your character to be ported from outside to inside. - This is great and gives us a ton more flexibility with building, since the room is actually underground. No clipping.

2. The system like in Hall of the Lunar Champion: true Loading Screens - tens of seconds (even minutes on a slower system or non-ssd) of splash art separating you from your destination.

- I agree here, too; I hate this about HotLC and never use that house because of it. It's a pain to visit in contests too. I'd like to port directly to the section of that house that I or another builder is using without wasting time on the entry room + 30-sex or longer load screens.

An in-house portal furnishing should function like #1. A 1-second teleport is fine. More loading screens, No.

Portals keep being requested repeatedly here; I do hope it's something they see and will consider.

Edited by MoonPile on January 14, 2024 9:00AM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A loading screen doesn't have to take a long time to be annoying. Just the fact that I can't just move freely through my house is enough to turn me away from it.

I'm fine with going from the courtyard to inside a house, and vice versa, but some houses have multiple loading screens inside the house and this is a huge deal breaker for me.

I know having these rooms separate allows for imbedding furnishings but that is something I don't often do anyway.

l also don't want portals inside my house to other houses etc.. This is my house, not a transportation hub.
    PCNA
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MoonPile wrote: »
    It seems like two different things are being referred to as "loading screens" here:

1. The system in older homes and areas like Sleek Creek and Rawl'Kha: milliseconds of a black screen allow your character to be ported from outside to inside. - This is great and gives us a ton more flexibility with building, since the room is actually underground. No clipping.

2. The system like in Hall of the Lunar Champion: true Loading Screens - tens of seconds (even minutes on a slower system or non-ssd) of splash art separating you from your destination.

- I agree here, too; I hate this about HotLC and never use that house because of it. It's a pain to visit in contests too. I'd like to port directly to the section of that house that I or another builder is using without wasting time on the entry room + 30-sex or longer load screens.

An in-house portal furnishing should function like #1. A 1-second teleport is fine. More loading screens, No.

Portals keep being requested repeatedly here; I do hope it's something they see and will consider.

I don’t think the first item is a loading screen. It is just to cover up the fact that there is a transition and no animation for your character to walk through the open door. I believe outside and inside are in the same instance.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Zurixadai
    Zurixadai
    ✭✭✭
    Been begging for point-to-point teleports forever, especially if they're going to continue making houses absolutely, incomprehensibly massive (without the option to mount, either).

Also, for the record:

Most homestead interiors, yes, are stored in the same cell/instance as homestead exteriors. Most (but not all!) of those homestead interiors are stored some ~100 meters or so underground, though. So when you enter the door to go "inside" your house, you're teleporting quite a ways under the map. This is also why you can't hear music boxes you've placed outside, while inside, and vice versa. (Hub city interiors are done this way, too, and it's easy to see it in action if you're in a group. When your friend goes inside an alchemy shop or something, look down and watch where their nameplate goes.)

The 'black screen' that you see when you interact with a door is just there to hide the teleport, and is not a true loading screen.
    Edited by Zurixadai on January 25, 2024 7:39PM
    Wishlists:

Gameplay Wishlist:
    -Winterhold [In all of its still-standing, pre-sunken, "rivaling Solitude" glory!]
    -Frost class/skill line [Wardens count!]
    -Unarmed/monk class or skill line
    -Polearms/spears skill line [Aedric Spear counts, but...]
    -Bound Weapons skill line [Casters should have more than sticks, yeah?]
    -More skill lines in general

Housing Wishlist:
    -Structure pieces, by the thousands! Walls, doors, stairs; everything from every racial/architectural style
    -More functional furniture: doors that open/close, portals to travel throughout one home, etc
    -"Lairs" or something similar: another separate, instanced space inside of a home
    -NPC's: guards and bards, all day
    -The Golden Vendor, but able to be placed in homes [Might help with some excess Cyrodiil traffic, maybe?]
    -The Luxury Furnisher, but also able to be placed in homes [... Look, homes are huge and I'm tired of them being empty]
    -Boat house [Fair Winds absolutely counts!]
    -Boat furnishings in general
    -Respec/redidication shrines
    -Wayshrines [I can just port to a guildmate, I guess, but...]
    -Undaunted pledge billboards/Undaunted NPC's
    -Crafting writ billboards
    -More mount/pet functionality when placed [Pathing counts!]
    -Guild bank/store access
    -Ability to repair gear at home [If traveling merchants in the middle of nowhere can do it, why can't I?]
    -Other, smaller, fun functionality, like farming or mini-games [Tales of Tribute absolutely counts!]

QoL Wishlist:
    -Text search boxes [Praise Tall Papa, thank you.]
    -Item conversion/transmogrification [Outfit stations absolutely count!]
    -Previewer/dressing room [Outfit stations absolutely count!]
    -Instead of Arms Packs (or in addition to them), just sell me the blasted VFX
    -Gear loadouts [Armory system counts!]
    -Skill loadouts Armory system counts!
    -Cloaks [I know you said no, but I'm not taking it off my list.]