The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Reduce CC effect in BG?

moo_2021
moo_2021
✭✭✭✭
What do you think of reducing CC in BG? There are several reasons I can think of:

1. In BG, the best players are usually the ones who do a lot of CC and combos. Reducing CC helps weaker players (like myself :D)
2. Lags are really bad and it affects break free
3. Movement abilities such as pull and charge are usually disabled due to server issue. They used to work until 2-3 years ago.

Reduce CC effect in BG? 24 votes

No change. Current CC is fine
70%
Chilly-McFreezeJierdanitEl_BorrachoAznoxOBJnoobgariondaveyxDeusEJRxJerBearESOSkaraMinocCameraBeardThePirateMiracle19Necrotech_Masteri11ionwardsayswhotodanko355Eyr0nsoelslaev 17 votes
Cut all CC time by half
0%
Auto break-free and cost stamina => CC only drains stamina
20%
Starlight_KnightAraneae6537moo_2021TybaltKaineSandandStars 5 votes
Auto break-free and cost nothing => CC only delays a sec (due to animation)
0%
Duration of immunity is doubled
0%
One immunity applies to all kinds of CC and root/snare
0%
Other. Please comment.
8%
chessalavakia_ESODrNukenstein 2 votes
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd add that auto break-free by the server would be quite fair and make everything work as designed, since players are supposed to press break free, and we always do that except when the server does not respond. So it might as well just do it for us (without lag).
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Run CC immunity potions if you are having a hard time avoiding CC's. Yes, some like Streak and Fossilize are unblockable, but a lot are avoidable.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technically there is auto cc break, but its from CP which is not useable in BGs, one less thing people can crutch on lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what to say. Just gotta manage your stamina and know what to do.
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    Run CC immunity potions if you are having a hard time avoiding CC's. Yes, some like Streak and Fossilize are unblockable, but a lot are avoidable.

How do you avoid CCs or incoming attacks unless it's 1 on 1 and the target is in visual range? I saw videos but don't seem practical in group encounters. Usually I just buff up and jump into where my teammates are fighting, and it's hard to tell what enemies are doing.

Also the potion only lasts like 10 seconds.. that's a lot of $$$
    Edited by moo_2021 on December 13, 2023 1:34PM
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please comment.
    I'd suggest scaling the cost of Break Free with the amount of time you take to do it.

• El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @moo_2021 some have animations prior to the CC being cast. For instance, Caltrops will have the player wind up like he is throwing a frisbee before it hits. In a group setting it does become more difficult. I set my colors for "bad stuff" to bright pink to know where not to stand, and I try to keep an eye on what the target and those around him are doing, but mostly what I will do in an 3v3 or more fight is roll dodge into or the edge of the mix, try to drop CC's of my own, and burn down one target at a time. Standing still in BGs while fighting is a mistake
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    moo_2021 wrote: »

How do you avoid CCs or incoming attacks unless it's 1 on 1 and the target is in visual range? I saw videos but don't seem practical in group encounters. Usually I just buff up and jump into where my teammates are fighting, and it's hard to tell what enemies are doing.

Also the potion only lasts like 10 seconds.. that's a lot of $$$

You pay attention and learn what animations are CCs. I don't really know what else to say besides that.

Most CCs in this game are either extremely telegraphed (some are telegraphed around the target, not even the user) or most often come at a certain point in a class' combo. The ones that aren't telegraphed are unavoidable anyways, which is the entire point (Streak, Fossilize, Fear abilities).

Opponent using Dizzy Swing? If you get hit once, block or dodge the followup heavy/dswing.

An Arcanist has 3 crux? Probably going to try to stun you if they're using beam. Are they using the Arcanist stun? Tap block every time you see the ring appear around you and they'll literally never be able to stun you.

Leap and Dawnbreaker are blockable on reaction, and even easier to block if you make the read that they're about to happen.

Flame Clench (do people even use this anymore?) has a travel time and a very obvious giant blast of fire signaling that you should block or dodge.

On the topic of knockbacks, is your back to a cliff or hazard? Bow users, Templars, and Flame staff wielders will likely try to knock you off.

Dark Convergence has a giant animation that's extremely easy to block with just a little practice.

Incap has a LOUD noise and a very obvious spin dance that the nightblade does. Block or dodge it.

Toppling Charge takes time for the templar to actually get to you and stun, even at point blank range. Block or dodge.

Javelin is dodgeable on reaction. Not the easiest thing in the world to do, but still doable.

Meteor has a LOUD noise, and a giant glowing "BLOCK NOW" ring at the target's feet.

I could go on, but I think you get the point. Something else to consider is that being stunned doesn't have to be a death sentence - you can improve at recovering after getting hit by burst, or improve your speed to break free (make sure break free is on its own keybind and not the default light attack+block bind). Being CCed also means you now have 7 seconds of uninterruptable offense - its pretty common (and smart) to wait until youve been CCed to go into an ulti combo. Most enemies with a brain will be CCing you on cooldown or attempting to CC you on cooldown - use that knowledge to your advantage.
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on December 13, 2023 9:45PM
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'll add this separately since my other comment was long winded with examples:

Nerfing CCs by making them less punishing will only widen the skill gap. Those turbo-DMers that seem to never be CCd and CC break immediately will only die from a well timed CC. If you make it easier for everyone to deal with CC across the board, you'll never be able to kill a good chunk of players in BGs.
  • DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please comment.
    Replace all knockbacks with a simple kneel stun, or knockdown stun if they're feeling generous (the knockdowns are better). Those moves are so buggy. They need to be fixed, or just simplified in PVP for reasons we've all experienced.

Then I really do think Off balance should be reworked. It's a fun mechanic and it enables cool combos. I think the game would be more fun if off balance had no cool down, but could only be applied to non cc-immune targets.

Last, lock people into the break free animation. That players can cancel the animation into a roll has two problems. one, it makes the game a lot less lethal if you're connection is good enough to consistently avoid the followup. Then, this one feature of the cancellable breakfree ties player performance to connection quality more than any other moment in the game. It would be the right thing to do to make breakfree uncancellable.
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Replace all knockbacks with a simple kneel stun, or knockdown stun if they're feeling generous (the knockdowns are better). Those moves are so buggy. They need to be fixed, or just simplified in PVP for reasons we've all experienced.

This is probably the only real issue with CCs (apart from the equally buggy Arcanist charm).

Don't get me wrong, knockdowns are fun - some of the best times I've had in this game were sending people flying off Alessia bridge on a magblade with flame clench back in the day.

But if ZOS can't fix all the areas/times when you get instakilled from a knockback because you got sent "out of bounds", or fix getting stuck under the ground or in a crate until you use /stuck, then knockbacks need to be changed.
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on December 15, 2023 2:47PM
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reducing CC's would just make some people unkillable if they wanted to be. Some builds are meant to not take damage and cc's counter that playstyle, making them less effective makes the builds meant to die less, not die at all.

If I run a speed build for chaosball or capture the relic game mode with weak CC's I can end the game mode in a matter of 5 minutes because I'm faster than you and you can barely slow me down (because you won't catch me and potentially weak cc's means you also barely hinder me as well)

That's generally why making cc's weak is not a good idea.
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing i want changed is that some are litterly tanks and still do a ton of damage especially DK
  • sayswhoto
    sayswhoto

Incap has a LOUD noise and a very obvious spin dance that the nightblade does. Block or dodge it.

I'll just add that incap is usually done from cloak to prevent the opponent from seeing the spinning animation. In this case, I believe by the time you hear the noise the attack already went off, but I could be wrong. From full health and with defensive buffs up, the Incap+Grim Focus is usually survivable. However, you need to break free as soon as the incap goes off. Break free then immediately dodge roll/burst heal/other defense. This will only allow the NB to Incap + Grim Focus (or second attack) before you begin to recover. If you are below full health and/or don't have defensives up, then the combo can outright kill you.

As for the poll, I voted to keep CC as is. There are a lot of ways to essentially stay alive indefinitely without stun. Examples include stam/mag recovery, burst heals and heal over times, defensives, block, roll dodge, and line of sighting.

Second the lag problem. All this assumes lag is not effectively negating the break free or hindering any other action.
    Edited by sayswhoto on December 23, 2023 9:21AM