Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Areas with persistent FPS drop.

Nightgard
Nightgard
✭✭
Hi,

the game is running smoothly most of the time between 40 and 50 fps.

But when I visit some caves with fog in it, or when there's lot of smoke (when an anchor goes down) my FPS drops around 10-15 (unplayable)

I don't know what setting I should change, not many choices. I installed the add-on "ESO toolbox" with more options but I don't know what to do.

I mean, don't want to lose too much quality, because 90% of the time I've got a nice FPS.
Would be depressing to play with no shadows or grass at all because of this issue.

Thank you
Edited by Nightgard on May 8, 2014 8:35AM
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this happens to me too. there is a cave in the daggerfall area (I think the second zone) that brings me down to around 10. I thought there might be a memory leak there or something because I can pvp fine and none of cold harbor bothers me. I also notice a drop with those really bright beams in caves.
    Edited by Laura on April 22, 2014 8:48AM
  • Nightgard
    Nightgard
    ✭✭
    I was in one of these area , I tried to turn off several settings one by one, nothing changed...I don't get it.
  • Nightgard
    Nightgard
    ✭✭
    Ok so, explain me this :

Picture 1 : Water reflection to High. 40 Fps in the forest, facing a waterfall, river is close.
    Picture 2 : in a cavern just behind , Fps drop to 24 for no reason. Smaller area, should be higher.
    Picture 3 : I switch water reflection to low.
    Picture 4 : I'm back around 40 Fps.
    Last picture : to show that there's no water in that direction or on top of the cavern...

I really, don't get it ! please help !

PS: changing anything else doesn't bring back my FPS, even with subsampling quality to low (which is very ugly) I'm only around 35fps
    Edited by Nightgard on April 23, 2014 10:53AM
  • Belrim
    Belrim
    ✭✭✭
    Had one massive fps drop in Windhelm, when was doing some quest where a NPC opened a portal, the effect made my computer crawl.

Funny thing is, that all the other dozens of "cast a portal open" effects dont cause this.
    Edited by Belrim on April 23, 2014 11:11AM
    Early bird gets the worm, but second mouse gets the cheese.
  • Frail_Old_Man
    Frail_Old_Man
    ✭✭
    Fog/smoke and certain light effects are a major framerate droppers even on good machines.
    I run pretty solid 60fps, but near some of the smoke/fog/lights it just tanks to 30-40.
    Sanguine's testers, the best testers.
    Alas we are no longer labeled as such.
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    The mobs are losing, so they yell: Drop a smoke grenade!
  • Nightgard
    Nightgard
    ✭✭
    If I put an elder scrolls between the camera and my character I have a huge FPS drop too.
    And this time, no setting is able to bring back my framerate.

I'm around 15 Fps with graphics in medium/high.
    If I put everything in low (even subsampling) I'm only at 25Fps. With this setting I'm around 100 Fps everywhere else lol.

If it can helps to find what's causing this...

PS: The add-on "Eso toolbox" has an option to literally stop particles , fire doesn't move anymore etc... Even with this , Framerate is low, I don't get it.
  • Nightgard
    Nightgard
    ✭✭
    Ok , new test.

Image :

1-Good 65Fps with settings a little above medium.(see in image 2)
    2-FPS drops at 25 when I look this way. you can see the settings.

So I tried to switch everything to off or low (forgot to screenshot), I had a nice 100 FPS.

3-I keep everything to off or low, except I put the subsampling to High(same results in Medium). I have a low FPS of 34. Should be way higher than that...
    4-With the same settings, I've got 100 Fps when I'm not looking at the window.

I did the test with everything, subsampling is the setting giving me a FPS drop in this location.
    But playing with subsampling in Low is NOT an option, not with this computer.

So please, look into this.
    Because it's not happening only there, it is an issue in pvp sometimes and pve too.

Thank you
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ya the game is sometimes acting a bit weird, especially if you have those tiny smoke particles like at stonefalls.

You can lower the particle density to get around this, I refuse to do this however as its still above 30 FPS in my case. But also at night, when a lot of lights are on you see a slight drop in FPS especially at Daggerfall.

I don't think this has anything to do with our GPU´s, especially if you consider that lowering the settings doesn't work. I believe its a result of the current lack of multithreading as almost everything happens on one core and our CPU just cant progress the data fast enough.

But this is coming from someone with a 6970 AMD, I would love to have some input of someone with a newer card to compare the results.
  • Laerian
    Laerian
    ✭✭✭
    Yes this fps drops happen sometimes in small areas with nothing special.

For example this shack in Auridon-Shattered Grove. When I tested, using different video qualities I managed to down the fps to ~25-30 with all maxed.
    1.JPG 301.1K
    3.JPG 188.9K
    4.JPG 191.4K