Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Magika Reduction

leandro.800ub17_ESO
leandro.800ub17_ESO
✭✭✭✭
I am posting this to get some help on some calculations:

-Lets say a specific skill costs 420 Magika to cast as a base cost
-Now you have 3 items that reduce cost of spells by 15
-Skill now costs 420-(3x15) = 375
-Now you have 3 Light armor with passive of cost reduction at 3 (3% per piece)
-So if the calc is on base cost should be 420*0.09 = 37.8 Reduction
-Those 3 light pieces are from a set that also has 3% cost reduction
-So the calc is 420*0.03 = 12.6 Reduction
-Now skill costs 375-37.8-12.6 = 324.6

Is this right or the calc are based on what the spell cost is at that time?
If it is the final calc is 331.02 instead of 324.6 and it grows if you have more light armor
  • Tadhg_Longhouse
    Tadhg_Longhouse
    ✭✭✭
    I've got the numbers below. But basically how the game calculates is that it reduces spell costs by the number amounts first, then applies the % reduction to that reduced number. So if you have a spell that costs 140 to cast, you put on rings to reduce that to 100, each 3% reduction from there will only decrease by 3 points instead of 4 points while it cost 140 magicka.

Here's my finding in game.

I have a Breton Sorcerer so I have 8% cost reduction from skills.

Rune Cage currently costs 207 magicka to cast.
    With no other effects, each piece of 3% light armor decreased the cost of the cast by 7 magicka. This is taking account the original cost of the spell before I get my natural 8% (that I never bothered to work out)

With all my magicka reduction rings (17+16+15=48)
    207-17 goes to 191 (only 16)
    191-16 goes to 177 (only 14)
    177-15 goes to 164 (only 13)
    So something funny seems to be going on.

My assumption is that it is calculating the % reduction after the ring reduction thus putting more rings on is decreasing how much my 8% is removing.

Putting on light armor seems to then confirm this as the 3% that previously removed 7 magicka per piece now only removed 5. From 164 down to 159, then 154 from the second light piece.
    Tadhg Longhouse
    Reachman Sorcerer
    Aldmeri Dominion
  • legiont666ub17_ESO
    I've got the numbers below. But basically how the game calculates is that it reduces spell costs by the number amounts first, then applies the % reduction to that reduced number. So if you have a spell that costs 140 to cast, you put on rings to reduce that to 100, each 3% reduction from there will only decrease by 3 points instead of 4 points while it cost 140 magicka.

Here's my finding in game.

I have a Breton Sorcerer so I have 8% cost reduction from skills.

Rune Cage currently costs 207 magicka to cast.
    With no other effects, each piece of 3% light armor decreased the cost of the cast by 7 magicka. This is taking account the original cost of the spell before I get my natural 8% (that I never bothered to work out)

With all my magicka reduction rings (17+16+15=48)
    207-17 goes to 191 (only 16)
    191-16 goes to 177 (only 14)
    177-15 goes to 164 (only 13)
    So something funny seems to be going on.

My assumption is that it is calculating the % reduction after the ring reduction thus putting more rings on is decreasing how much my 8% is removing.

Putting on light armor seems to then confirm this as the 3% that previously removed 7 magicka per piece now only removed 5. From 164 down to 159, then 154 from the second light piece.

Yes it takes the hard numbers from the enchantments first then the percentage
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    This topic has help me allot. I have given up on heath regen rings to max out the % given from other things and invested on magic.
    The 15 points i was receiving extra in heath regen does compensate for the 30 i have upped in magic.