The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Are new book furnishings bugged? Possible spoilers (may be)

ESO_player123
ESO_player123
✭✭✭✭✭
According to the patch notes there are 4 new book furnishings in South Elsweyr and 4 in Summerset.

UESP lists all the names of the books and states that they all come from the same source.
Was anyone able to get the books in SE that are NOT "Khunzar-ri and the Lost Alfiq" or "The Favored Daughter of Fadomai"? I got 27 of the former and 17 of the latter (the drop rate is that good), but none of the other two.
In Summerset I stuck on 3 books and cannot seem to get "Artaeum Lost".

Any luck for you?
Edited by ZOS_Icy on November 19, 2023 6:20PM
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Hi @ESO_player123! We checked on this, and everything looks to be set up correctly on the back-end. We're still doing a bit more investigation just in case to ensure it's dropping, though. The team wanted to note that you do need to have read the book in order to find it in a chest. Do you know if you've done that?
    Jessica Folsom
    Associate Director of Community - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Options
    Staff Post
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @ESO_player123! We checked on this, and everything looks to be set up correctly on the back-end. We're still doing a bit more investigation just in case to ensure it's dropping, though. The team wanted to note that you do need to have read the book in order to find it in a chest. Do you know if you've done that?

Thank you for the prompt answer Jessica. I really appreciate it.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "you do need to have read the book in order to find it in a chest". How can I read a book before finding it? I do not remember if I read "the Favorite daughter.." after I found it, but I definitely read the "Khunzar-ri and the lost Alfiq" after I got it from the chest.

Are you referring to some other locations of the books that I need to visit and read something? I definitely did not go anywhere to read anything before finding the books in other zones. I have all the rest but two from Hew's bane (but those treasure maps seem to be virtually non-existant)
    Options
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭
    They're talking about reading the book in the wild, which is a pre-requisite for obtaining these furnishings apparently.

Like last week in the Endless Archive, there was a book called "Lord Hollowjack's Dream Realm" which I had to find on a bookshelf in Murkmire before I could buy it from the vendor. These books aren't "lorebooks", they're part of the Eidetic Memory archive you unlock by completing the Mages' guild questline to see which books you have and have not read.
    Antiquities Addict
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EdjeSwift wrote: »
    They're talking about reading the book in the wild, which is a pre-requisite for obtaining these furnishings apparently.

Like last week in the Endless Archive, there was a book called "Lord Hollowjack's Dream Realm" which I had to find on a bookshelf in Murkmire before I could buy it from the vendor. These books aren't "lorebooks", they're part of the Eidetic Memory archive you unlock by completing the Mages' guild questline to see which books you have and have not read.

Oh, thanks for that info! I had no idea.... I'll have to get a list of the furnishing books, and look up where to find the ones I haven't read already.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Oh, thanks for that info! I had no idea.... I'll have to get a list of the furnishing books, and look up where to find the ones I haven't read already.

If you find that list feel free to share it... some of us (points at self), have no idea what the list is either.
    Antiquities Addict
    Options
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager

Thanks for the helpful post, @EdjeSwift! It's as you say. :)
    Jessica Folsom
    Associate Director of Community - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Options
    Staff Post
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

If you find that list feel free to share it... some of us (points at self), have no idea what the list is either.

Well, UESP or ESO-Hub should have them eventually I hope.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

Options
  • Morvan
    Morvan
    ✭✭✭
    The team wanted to note that you do need to have read the book in order to find it in a chest.

A question, does that also apply to the books dropping in the Endless Archive?
    Options
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Was it mentioned anywhere that we need to read these books before finding the furnishings? May be I missed it. But if not, then it's pretty important information to just skip it.

You mentioned that these books are part of the Eidetic memory archive. Are these the books that glow blue and shown as blue books on the map if you use the addon? If so, I'm not sure how I missed them because I do not have any blue book marks left on the map on my main. Unless they are in a trial somewhere.

Edited by ESO_player123 on November 14, 2023 11:44PM
    Options
  • Erissime
    Erissime
    ✭✭✭
    Morvan wrote: »
    The team wanted to note that you do need to have read the book in order to find it in a chest.

A question, does that also apply to the books dropping in the Endless Archive?

Yes
    Options
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are not part of the blue books on the map from the add-on. If you're using a similar add-on to me, you can use the "Filters" tab of the map to show "Eidetic Memory" books. They are independent of the lorebooks from the add-on as the lorebooks are exclusively for Mage's Guild level ups.

These are the gold glowy books that don't give you 5 mages' guild Xp when you read them.

Edit: Sorry to our console brethren who have to find these books the old fashioned way.
    Edited by EdjeSwift on November 14, 2023 11:46PM
    Antiquities Addict
    Options
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I found this thread after farming EA for only 2 days looking for books that I didn't have in my library
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
    Options
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are not part of the blue books on the map from the add-on. If you're using a similar add-on to me, you can use the "Filters" tab of the map to show "Eidetic Memory" books. They are independent of the lorebooks from the add-on as the lorebooks are exclusively for Mage's Guild level ups.

These are the gold glowy books that don't give you 5 mages' guild Xp when you read them.

Edit: Sorry to our console brethren who have to find these books the old fashioned way.

I see. Thank you for the clarification. Will search for the books I missed.
    Options
  • Erissime
    Erissime
    ✭✭✭

Was it mentioned anywhere that we need to read these books before finding the furnishings? May be I missed it. But if not, then it's pretty important information to just skip it.

You mentioned that these books are part of the Eidetic memory archive. Are these the books that glow blue and shown as blue books on the map if you use the addon? If so, I'm not sure how I missed them because I do not have any blue book marks left on the map on my main. Unless they are in a trial somewhere.

No. These are the books that glow yellow, they are everywhere and vary from pieces of paper to actual books. And some may be found in bookshelves around the world ( thus not even shown as glowing). The best bet is like someone said to complete the mages guild to get access to the eidetic memory and check via that list (opened in your journal once said Eidetic Memory is given!) which ones you are missing so to have a chance at the new drops. I have gotten quite a few books by now from the archives and one drop in Coldharbour from a treasure map I was about to sell (had no idea it drops) - but I have also read almost everything out there. So that's about the only way ( so far - without a wiki that is) to ensure at least books concerning the announced lores are read by your character. The archive itself has lore-books scattered around ( 1st week, the book on vendor was from there) - which you cannot buy if you have not found it to read ( it was nicely set on a lectern by the entrance - but one must... look!). But just to confirm that the drops are not glitched - as like I said I did my readings during the years - I got over 10 books from the archives only in the 1st 2 weeks. Probably some on the side.
    Edited by Erissime on November 14, 2023 11:55PM
    Options
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erissime wrote: »

No. These are the books that glow yellow, they are everywhere and vary from pieces of paper to actual books. And some may be found in bookshelves around the world ( thus not even shown as glowing). The best bet is like someone said to complete the mages guild to get access to the eidetic memory and check via that list (opened in your journal once said Eidetic Memory is given!) which ones you are missing so to have a chance at the new drops. I have gotten quite a few books by now from the archives and one drop in Coldharbour from a treasure map I was about to sell (had no idea it drops) - but I have also read almost everything out there. So that's about the only way ( so far - without a wiki that is) to ensure at least books concerning the announced lores are read by your character. The archive itself has lore-books scattered around ( 1st week, the book on vendor was from there) - which you cannot buy if you have not found it to read ( it was nicely set on a lectern by the entrance - but one must... look!).

I actually never bothered to check which books I was missing from the Eidetic memory. It was a long time since I was able to find a book in the wild that I have not read. Now that they are needed for furnishings I will have to do it. I wish I knew that I have to read the books first. I thought they are actually new books.
    Options
  • Erissime
    Erissime
    ✭✭✭

No. These are the books that glow yellow, they are everywhere and vary from pieces of paper to actual books. And some may be found in bookshelves around the world ( thus not even shown as glowing). The best bet is like someone said to complete the mages guild to get access to the eidetic memory and check via that list (opened in your journal once said Eidetic Memory is given!) which ones you are missing so to have a chance at the new drops. I have gotten quite a few books by now from the archives and one drop in Coldharbour from a treasure map I was about to sell (had no idea it drops) - but I have also read almost everything out there. So that's about the only way ( so far - without a wiki that is) to ensure at least books concerning the announced lores are read by your character. The archive itself has lore-books scattered around ( 1st week, the book on vendor was from there) - which you cannot buy if you have not found it to read ( it was nicely set on a lectern by the entrance - but one must... look!).

I actually never bothered to check which books I was missing from the Eidetic memory. It was a long time since I was able to find a book in the wild that I have not read. Now that they are needed for furnishings I will have to do it. I wish I knew that I have to read the books first. I thought they are actually new books.

It was clear from the first day that in order to be able to get furniture books one must have them completed within the Eidetic Memory. All one needed to do was to go by the weekly archive vendor and the moment the book on sale was not available the explanation was all there - that's how I figured it anyhow (on the "unavailable" book if you click it says "must read the lore-book first!" or something along that line!). On the other hand, (and this may not be a liked idea) - finally after so many years of doing something almost nobody cares for, a reward is given in the form of furniture. The careless will struggle - as is the case in general with everything concerning knowledge - very Hermaeus Mora like! Knowledge ( even in the form of an adornment) is not as easily accessible (or something along those lines I should assume - just to keep the scholarly vibe of the chapter). Also some books are new (throughout the archive!)- and as furnishings - definitely all of them very new.
    Edited by Erissime on November 15, 2023 12:13AM
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Erissime - that gave me a fellow-feeling sort of chuckle. I read every book I come across on every alt. No, even after so long, I have not read every book in the game - but it can't be long now!

Great post, thanks!

Options
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It was clear from the first day that in order to be able to get furniture books one must have them completed within the Eidetic Memory. All one needed to do was to go by the weekly archive vendor and the moment the book on sale was not available the explanation was all there - that's how I figured it anyhow
    -snip
    That is great way to figure it out if you went to EA. I have not been there yet. So, I had no idea, and I have not seen this information anywhere outside of EA (may be I missed it, I do not know).

Edited by ESO_player123 on November 15, 2023 12:17AM
    Options
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It was clear from the first day that in order to be able to get furniture books one must have them completed within the Eidetic Memory. All one needed to do was to go by the weekly archive vendor and the moment the book on sale was not available the explanation was all there - that's how I figured it anyhow
    -snip
    That is great way to figure it out if you went to EA. I have not been there yet. So, I had no idea, and I have not seen this information anywhere outside of EA (may be I missed it, I do not know).

This was the same for me. I didn't see any info anywhere either.

I didn't start doing EA until a couple days ago but I've been looking for the overland books for a a couple weeks now.

And even after I looked at the EA vendor, I thought the ''must have discovered this book in your library to buy'' only applied to buying the book from the vendor, not getting it as a drop.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
    Options
  • Tra_Lalan
    Tra_Lalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As there are many players that care about completing their lore book collection (Eidetic Memory), having in mind all the problems that we have with it, I wish those EA books furnishings could work the other way around.

I wish reading the lore book furnishing granted us the lore book for our Eidetic Memory.
    It would be more logical, and would give us more reason to do the EA content and visti its vendor every week.
    Options
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tra_Lalan wrote: »
    As there are many players that care about completing their lore book collection (Eidetic Memory), having in mind all the problems that we have with it, I wish those EA books furnishings could work the other way around.

I wish reading the lore book furnishing granted us the lore book for our Eidetic Memory.
    It would be more logical, and would give us more reason to do the EA content and visti its vendor every week.

Well you can read it at someone's else house if they have it.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
    Options
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

But there are books that are impossible for anyone to obtain, and this is not a workaround or a solution.
    Edited by virtus753 on November 19, 2023 4:03PM
    Options
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

But there are books that are impossible for anyone to obtain, and this is not a workaround or a solution.

I have read all Eidetic Memory books in the game, except those that are impossible to find.
    Those books that are impossible to find are:

Apocryphal Pages:
    1) Ilasaba's Excuses
    2) Onri Murien's Hidden Wishes
    3) The Curse of Blackscale Island *
    4) Zeirinia's Silent Admission
    * this book was known before Update39, but it became unknown and impossible to read after that patch for people who has already done the related quest

Telvanni Tomes
    1) Closed by Order of the Abbot
    2) Communications Between Nilphas and Thorin

Those books are bugged from the beginning, except "The Curse of Blackscale Island" that became bugged because the devs changed its cataloguing.

I wonder if they are obtainable from EA as furnishings.
    In this case they should drop also if the player did not read it yet, because they are currently impossible to find in the land.

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
    Options
  • MörKi
    MörKi
    ✭✭✭✭
    A question about the Hews's Bane books (PS4/5).

How are you supposed to get the Hew's Bane books when Hew's Bane treasure maps no longer drop?

Because obviously the books don't drop from normal chests, but only from those with treasure maps. At least I didn't drop a single book after hours of looting chests on Hew's Bane.

There isn't a single Hew's Bane treasure map in the Guild Stores either.

I only got one from the Arena Gladiators Daily Quest in Cyrodiil during the last Whiteplank Carnage. But only one after many of these quests.
    Options
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MörKi wrote: »
    A question about the Hews's Bane books (PS4/5).

How are you supposed to get the Hew's Bane books when Hew's Bane treasure maps no longer drop?

Because obviously the books don't drop from normal chests, but only from those with treasure maps. At least I didn't drop a single book after hours of looting chests on Hew's Bane.

There isn't a single Hew's Bane treasure map in the Guild Stores either.

I only got one from the Arena Gladiators Daily Quest in Cyrodiil during the last Whiteplank Carnage. But only one after many of these quests.

PC/NA here. It looks like Hew's Bane maps are either very rare or they drop from a very specific source. I'm pretty sure that I have not acquired one in 4 years of playing. I was lucky to buy 3(?) from guild stores and got only 1/3 books from them. I'm not going to pursue these books since I have no idea how to get these maps. If they are dropping from somewhere in Cyrodiil, that is a non-starter for me since I only go there for city dailies during events.
    Edited by ESO_player123 on November 28, 2023 6:20AM
    Options
  • Lazy_Voyager
    Lazy_Voyager
    ✭✭✭
    Some notes on this topic:

Books looted from Treasure Map Chests, Endless Archive, Bastion Nymic and Scrivener's Hall Vault Chests will only populate in their respective loot tables if you have read the book either as a standalone object (ala lore books), from bookshelves (random chance, zone-influenced) or from a player's house.

On the UESP list of literature furnishings, you can find most of the readable furnishings in the game along with their sources. Click (page) next to the item's name; if it has the 'readable' behavior, it's a readable book.
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Library_Furnishings/Literature
    On the item page, delete '_(furnishing)' from the end of the url in your address bar and usually you'll be taken to the lore page which will show you where to find the eidetic memory book to pick up. That being said...

UESP has been oddly, er, hesitant to update some of their tables on what books are lootable from which sources. In particular, they only show one book lootable from Scriv Hall when there's at least a dozen. You can find a ton more books attributed to scrivner's hall at ESO Fashion https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/category/database/miscellaneous/furnishings/update/scribes-of-fate/

If someone else has collected a book furnishing and has it on display in their house, you can skip the hunting-it-down eidetic memory step by just interacting with the furnishing. Note that reading shalidor's library books placed in houses will not give you Mage's Guild skill line progression.

Eidetic memory recording is character-specific; it may be worth having a dedicated treasure-mapper, scriv-haller, bastion-nymicer etc who has read all the books on a respective drop-table.

Certain books will spawn on podiums in the endless archive lobby after certain conditions are met; these books are on the muniment chest drop tables so it's worth checking on them from time to time.

There are a few books that only appear in eidetic form in endless archive; I've found a few on the floor with no effects glow whatsoever, often cluttered with similar objects. So keep your eyes peeled.
    Edited by Lazy_Voyager on November 29, 2023 9:44AM
    Ora, lege, lege, lege, relege, labora et invenies.
    Options
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, that is not /terribly/ helpful.

Please clarify whether you need to have Eidetic Memory unlocked (i.e., the Mages' Guild questline almost completed) on the active character for a chance to have the furnishing books drop?
    Options
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Please clarify whether you need to have Eidetic Memory unlocked (i.e., the Mages' Guild questline almost completed) on the active character for a chance to have the furnishing books drop?

To get the furnishing drop you first need to find and read the corresponding book in the world. I did not read the books mentioned and in the OP, so I could not get them as a furnishing.

They are part of the Eidetic memory collection and do not glow blue. They glow golden. (The ones that glow blue give Mages Guild xp). You can read these books regardless of the Mages Guild questline to my knowledge. If you do not mind using guides just Google Eidetic memory ESO and use one of the guides to look up the location of the book you are missing. I used UESP for that.
    Options
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭

To get the furnishing drop you first need to find and read the corresponding book in the world. I did not read the books mentioned and in the OP, so I could not get them as a furnishing.

They are part of the Eidetic memory collection and do not glow blue. They glow golden. (The ones that glow blue give Mages Guild xp). You can read these books regardless of the Mages Guild questline to my knowledge. If you do not mind using guides just Google Eidetic memory ESO and use one of the guides to look up the location of the book you are missing. I used UESP for that.

That... Has slightly less than zero to do with what I asked.

For the furnishing versions of the books to drop, in addition to having READ the book (which you OBVIOUSLY can do w/o unlocking Eidetic Memory first) on the character you are trying to get those drops on, do you also need to have Eidetic Memory (https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:The_Arch-Mage's_Boon) unlocked on that character?
    Edited by MreeBiPolar on December 10, 2023 7:53AM
    Options