Light Attack Helper

winged_tortoise
I’m using Light Attack Helper to get better at my light attack weaving. Unfortunately, it often doesn’t count my light attacks. Has anyone else has anyone else had this problem?
  • M0R_Gaming
    M0R_Gaming
    ✭✭✭
    Are you seeing your light attacks get off visually and it's just not counting it in the addon? If so, that's really weird. Are you using English as your game language or another language?

A bit unrelated, but I personally don't like Light Attack Helper to assist me in weaving since I found it didn't provide much useful info. Instead, I'm a fan of using Combat Metronome to time my addons, and Combat metrics' info tab to view how many light attacks I had missed and what my average weave time was. It won't tell you in real-time how many light attacks you hit, but it's good for looking back after a parse to see how you did and places for improvement.
    • PC/NA - PvP/PvE AD Magsorc main
    • Former Emp, All HMs but DSR
    My addons
    Options
  • winged_tortoise
    Hi, @M0R_Gaming! Thanks for the reply. Yes, it looks like the attacks are going off and the animation is getting canceled. Yes too, I’m a Southern California Beach Boy and speak English.

Thanks for the tips on Combat Metrr0nome and Combat Metrics. I’ll try it out. From Combat Metrics I know I’m missing some light attacks, enough that my resources aren’t regenerating fast enough. I want to get my stats consistently correct so that I feel more productive on raids.

Do you have any more recommendations?

While working to perfect my weaving I’m considering abandoning my rotation and just spamming a light attack and one skill. So too I’m thinking about repeating LightAttack->Skill 20 times then checking my stats. Perhaps later I’ll switch to LightAttack->Skill 5x then BarSwap->LightAttack->NewSkill 5 more time->Bar Swap.

Does that sound reasonable? Will it work with Conbat Metronome & Combat Metrics or do I need to continue till I kill the training dummy? If I continue till I kill the dummy I have to take potions, and weave heavy attacks to reclaim resources ( stamina). I feel like doing so makes it more difficult to uncover the flaws in my technique.

Thanks again!

—Winged
    Edited by winged_tortoise on November 25, 2023 12:13PM
    Options
  • M0R_Gaming
    M0R_Gaming
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the late response, I don't log into the forums often lol.
    Hi, @M0R_Gaming! Thanks for the reply. Yes, it looks like the attacks are going off and the animation is getting canceled. Yes too, I’m a Southern California Beach Boy and speak English.
    Ya, this is weird. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would be causing it to act like that then.

In regards to your weaving question, it appears that you have some slight misconceptions about weaving. Weaving by itself won't affect your sustain (your ability to keep your resources either high or stable). This is because your light attacks don't give you back resources, instead, they are used to proc enchantments and sets (as well as get a bit of free damage). In fact, your sustain will often get worse as you get better with weaving since you are spending less downtime between skills and the GCD (Global Cooldown of 1 second).

This section contains a bit of theory, if you don't care about it then feel free to skip to the next set of paragraphs:
    In the game, each cast has a cooldown on it, which is commonly referred to as the Global Cooldown (GCD). This cooldown is 1 second, and while it is active you cannot cast any abilities of similar or lower priority. In regards to light attacks and skills, they have a priority of Light Attacks at the lowest, then Skills slightly higher, then Bar swaps/bashes/rolls etc with the highest priority.
    When you spam light attacks you'll notice that the light attack only goes off every second no matter how fast you tap the button, this is an example of that Global Cooldown in action. However, as a skill has a higher priority than a light attack, you can see that if you press a light attack and then a skill, both of them will be able to activate within the same second. The opposite is also held in that if you cast a skill and then try to cast a light attack, only the skill will go off as the light attack has a lower priority than the skill.

The eventual goal with light attack weaving is to try to decrease the total 'wasted time' between your casts, or in other words, you want to try to cast as close to 60 skills a minute as possible as if you end up losing 0.5 seconds every cast (in Combat Metrics this will show up as your weaving average), then over a 60-second parse, you end up only casting 40 times instead of the ideal 60. As you start to lower your weaving average, you cast more skills per minute, which results in you using up more resources, hence my point about your sustain getting worse as you get better.

Now with that out of the way, a few tips for your sustain (this is going to be very dependent on your build, but I'll give some general pointers):

If you are a stamina character, you should try using 'Lava Foot Soup and Saltrice'. It is a blue food that gives you a ton of recovery and maximum resources.
    If you are a magicka character, you should run 'Ghastly Eye Bowl'. It is the magicka version of the stamina food listed above.

You should also try to use potions during your fight, as they give a ton of sustain and buffs. Most magicka characters should be using "Essence of Spell Power" or the "Alliance Spell Draught" bought using AP from PvPing. Most stamina characters should be using "Essence of Weapon Power" or the "Alliance Battle Draught" bought with AP. I suppose if you just want to practice and don't care about your damage, using the potions that only give mag/stam and can be bought off guild traders for like 3 gold each would work.
    In addition, you should also get the "Medicinal use" passive from the alchemy craft skill line as it will make the potion buffs longer so that eventually there is no downtime on those buffs.

More build-related, but you can also try to hybridize some of your skills if your sustain is still bad with the correct food and potions. A common thing to do if your primary spammable is magicka and you are running out of magicka would be to use a greatsword back bar and use "Stampede" and "Carve" to offset some of the magicka costs to stamina. This is going to be very dependent on your build though, so if someone is recommending a build to you, I'd recommend asking them about this.

Not directly related to sustain, but as a PvE dps you usually want all 64 points of your attributes to be in your correct stat. So if you are a magicka build, put all 64 into magicka. Several cities around the world have temples where you can go and respec some of those points. Max resource is good because every 10.5 max resource increases your damage by 1, so having 37k max stamina will increase your damage by 3.5k before any calculations/modifiers.

Sorry for the absolutely massive wall of text, but hopefully this helps! If you need any more live help feel free to reach out to me on Discord, my username is m0r (that is a zero not an o).
    My addons
    Options
  • winged_tortoise
    Thanks @M0R_Gaming! A very useful post. Too bad, I was hoping my light attacks would re-cover more resources. I do already use Lava Foot Soup and Saltrice, but all I have ever used for parsing are the cheap potions I bought from the alchemist vendor. I crafted a bunch of Essence of Spell Power. I'll have to give it a try.
    Options
  • M0R_Gaming
    M0R_Gaming
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @M0R_Gaming! A very useful post. Too bad, I was hoping my light attacks would re-cover more resources. I do already use Lava Foot Soup and Saltrice, but all I have ever used for parsing are the cheap potions I bought from the alchemist vendor. I crafted a bunch of Essence of Spell Power. I'll have to give it a try.

Ya, if you were already using the food and those potions then there's not much stuff you can do without changing parts of your build. One thing that I would say though is that if you are using stamina sustain food then you should use essence of weapon power not essence of spell power.
    My addons
    Options
  • winged_tortoise
    Thanks!!
    Options