Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Needing to pay extra to dye crown store costumes that I already paid USD for is wild

TheGreatBlackBear
TheGreatBlackBear
✭✭✭✭✭
It's strange. I've played ESO for years and never gave costume dying any thought before. it was just one of those things that I got bundled in with ESO plus. But after coming back from a year long break where I played other games it seems strangely offensive that they'd lock changing the colour of your costume behind a $15 a month paywall. Especially when you primarily get the costumes from the crown store or crown crates. I don't know why it upset me as much as it did but it just seems really galling. Am I overreacting? I don't plan to get plus atm because there's no real reason to do so with no new dungeons or area. And I'm definitely not getting it just to dye a costume.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on October 13, 2023 3:30AM
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They locked changing your character's appearance behind a $10 paywall. I'm still upset at that and it's been nine years.
  • kah
    kah
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you're overreacting. I let my plus expire recently, and I was also irritated when I realized that dying costumes is part of the subscription. Like you said, you pay for the costumes. And you have to unlock dyes with achievements, so it seems silly not to let you dye them. But I guess that's what keeps people on plus -- that and the craft bag. >>
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's weird too, mostly because compared to other games I've played the dye system is inconsistent. I've played ones where dyes are single-use, so you pay every time you want to dye something (unless you have a dye saved up), but then you're paying no matter what you want to dye. I've also played ones like ESO where dyes are unlocked on your account when you first obtain them and then can be used as many times as you like, but then it's free to dye anything with them. I've never played another game where it's sometimes free and sometimes costs real money, depending on what you're dying.

The only reason I can think of for it working this way is originally costumes were undyable and the ability to dye them was added about a year after the switch to buy-to-play and optional subscription, around then it seemed like a lot of the QoL changes they were making were being held back for ESO+ and I suspect ZOS were looking for things to add into it to encourage more people to buy it. (It was about a year after that they decided to re-brand one DLC a year as a 'chapter' and require everyone to pay extra for it.)

All I can say is you'll get used to it. I usually don't subscribe so one of the things I do when I do have ESO+ or a free trial comes around is review the dyes on all the costumes I use to see if I want to change any of them, especially if I've unlocked new dyes since last time.

Oh and in case you're not aware you can use dye stamps on costumes without a subscription, but then you're restricted to the dyes included in the stamp. To me that makes them totally useless, but I know some people use them sometimes.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They locked changing your character's appearance behind a $10 paywall. I'm still upset at that and it's been nine years.
    Worse in that you can change hair style all the ways but not hair color.
    Or you can add all sort of weird skins but not get an tan.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I think it's weird too, mostly because compared to other games I've played the dye system is inconsistent. I've played ones where dyes are single-use, so you pay every time you want to dye something (unless you have a dye saved up), but then you're paying no matter what you want to dye. I've also played ones like ESO where dyes are unlocked on your account when you first obtain them and then can be used as many times as you like, but then it's free to dye anything with them. I've never played another game where it's sometimes free and sometimes costs real money, depending on what you're dying.

The only reason I can think of for it working this way is originally costumes were undyable and the ability to dye them was added about a year after the switch to buy-to-play and optional subscription, around then it seemed like a lot of the QoL changes they were making were being held back for ESO+ and I suspect ZOS were looking for things to add into it to encourage more people to buy it. (It was about a year after that they decided to re-brand one DLC a year as a 'chapter' and require everyone to pay extra for it.)

All I can say is you'll get used to it. I usually don't subscribe so one of the things I do when I do have ESO+ or a free trial comes around is review the dyes on all the costumes I use to see if I want to change any of them, especially if I've unlocked new dyes since last time.

Oh and in case you're not aware you can use dye stamps on costumes without a subscription, but then you're restricted to the dyes included in the stamp. To me that makes them totally useless, but I know some people use them sometimes.

personally i find the dye stamps themselves useless because it doesnt actually unlock the colors to use permanently, as many of the stamps do have unique colors separate from achievement dye unlocks
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

personally i find the dye stamps themselves useless because it doesnt actually unlock the colors to use permanently, as many of the stamps do have unique colors separate from achievement dye unlocks

True, but when something shows up in the stamps that I KNOW I'm not going to get by an achievement or whatever, I'll buy a couple to store, because in case that color turns out to be something I need for a look eventually, I'll have it for at least one character (generally, I try to make ALL of my girls different, though sometimes I'll have a couple that look similar across both PC megaservers).

Edited by TaSheen on October 12, 2023 9:55PM

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

True, but when something shows up in the stamps that I KNOW I'm not going to get by an achievement or whatever, I'll buy a couple to store, because in case that color turns out to be something I need for a look eventually, I'll have it for at least one character (generally, I try to make ALL of my girls different, though sometimes I'll have a couple that look similar across both PC megaservers).

i personally would never buy dye stamps, or in fact any 1 time use consumable item

if im paying real money for it, it had better be a permanent unlock lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

• TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, I have gems forever. And once I settle on a look, I don't change it. I'm - um - a stick in the mud that way?

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Eh, I have gems forever. And once I settle on a look, I don't change it. I'm - um - a stick in the mud that way?

i dont change my looks often either, my main has been using the original skeleton polymorph for 9 years lol

even gems, i still wouldnt spend those on consumables, because its still a hard to attain currency without using real money, but thats also a me thing too lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

• ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic, as it's ESO plus related.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • Puddycat
    Puddycat
    ✭✭✭
    Update suggestion....

Dying should be free.

Craft bag and Furniture bag included with plus :smiley: