Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

ESO+ subscription issue...

jle30303
jle30303
✭✭✭✭✭
...So I just got a message from Steam saying that there had been a problem with the payment for the monthly subscription.

It isn't that I'm short of cash - I have plenty in the bank account, the card is valid, there are no problems there.

But... I checked the date and it wasn't due till tomorrow? Official payment date according to Steam is listed as the 10th, and right now it's only the 9th?

Did ESO glitch and try to charge me (or potentially any other Steam customers) a day early, and that's why it was auto-declined by Steam, and will it work if they try again tomorrow?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was it actually declined by Steam, or were they just passing along the information?

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know. That is, I don't know *who* declined it, whether it was my bank (who had no reason to decline it) or Steam. I don't even know how to find out.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jle30303 wrote: »
    I don't know. That is, I don't know *who* declined it, whether it was my bank (who had no reason to decline it) or Steam. I don't even know how to find out.

You should be able to call the bank (number on back of credit card) and they can tell you if a charge was attempted and what happened. If they can't find a matching charge attempt, then it was Steam. I have no idea how to query Steam about what happened.
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, I just made another purchase on Steam and one on Amazon without any problems, so I don't think it's a bank / card issue...
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, I just made another purchase on Steam and one on Amazon without any problems, so I don't think it's a bank / card issue...

It still could be.

I went shopping at a few different stores one day and my bank put through all my charges but one that they were suspicious of. They notified me and I called them and approved the purchase as valid.

So they may put through some charges while denying others.
    PCNA
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It still could be.

I went shopping at a few different stores one day and my bank put through all my charges but one that they were suspicious of. They notified me and I called them and approved the purchase as valid.

So they may put through some charges while denying others.

I was thinking that recurring charges might come under more scrutiny than one-time charges.
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well. I logged into Steam again this morning and I saw the message that the payment had failed to go through... a day before it was *actually* due at all: the date it was supposed to be paid, was the 10th, and the failure to pay was on the 9th.

I am set up to get email warnings of unauthorised or failed transactions, and there has been no such warning and no attempts - it appears that Steam never actually asked for the money from my bank at all. Which makes me think that the point of failure may have been the date discrepancy - ESO asking for the money from my Steam account a day early, and Steam refusing to pass on the request to my actual bank card because it wasn't due for another 24 hours.

Somehow the subscription was stuck in a "Pending:..." state. So I cancelled it, and restarted it... it went through with no problem...
    Edited by jle30303 on October 10, 2023 8:55AM