The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Thank you, thank you all.

isengrimb16_ESO
isengrimb16_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place or what. I just want to send a general thank-you to Zenimax, Bethesda, and players all.

I used to love tabletop roleplaying games, but was always crappy at computer/console/arcade games, can't play most of those without cheating (and that goes for Skyrim!) But I loved exploring Skyrim so much, I had to sign up for the ESO beta, to see if I could play this game. I got invited during a stress test - and was thrilled to see that this has controls I can work with (I guess WoW trained me in computer games the best, I guess I have to thank it for that, even though it's not really an RPG, it seems to want to be a shooting-gallery game).

I guess I'm thankful for a computer game that is as close to the tabletop experience as you can get. I'm thankful that ESO harks back to pre-Holy Trinity days, kind of (though I'm not at vr level yet). And oh, a lot of things.

Thanks, just thanks all around.
  • ElSlayer
    ElSlayer
    ✭✭✭
    (I guess WoW trained me in computer games the best, I guess I have to thank it for that, even though it's not really an RPG, it seems to want to be a shooting-gallery game)
    Here man, have an "awesome" from me. Nobody ever before have refered WoW to a "shooting-gallery game".
    Edited by ElSlayer on May 7, 2014 12:34PM
    @d0e1ow: There is no singular thing within a game's little ecosystem that will convince you that you hate the game, hate your life, and hate everyone around you faster than the game's official forums will.

@TaffyIX: Life is too short to get upset by a video game.
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElSlayer wrote: »
    (I guess WoW
    trained me in computer games the best, I guess I have to thank it for that, even though it's not really an RPG, it seems to want to be a shooting-gallery game)
    Here man, have an "awesome" from me. Nobody ever before have refered WoW to a "shooting-gallery game".

:D Thank you. Well, it just seems that way to me. WoW has fields chock-full of robotic hostiles that you have to fight your way through every inch of the way. I've explored in ESO (and Skyrim) in peace for, oh, I don't keep track of time well. It's nice to get lost in ESO. WoW, um, monsters monsters fight fight fight.
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    (I guess WoW trained me in computer games the best, I guess I have to thank it for that, even though it's not really an RPG, it seems to want to be a shooting-gallery game)

I find that to be a strangely accurate description as well, and I enjoyed WoW.
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gohlar wrote: »

So did I, for what is was worth. I don't regret money and time spent, but, um, eso just fits my bill a bit better.

• seaef
    seaef
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here. I never thought of WoW that way, but now that the OP mentioned it...
    "The Illuminati are very achievement focused. It's like Xbox - only everything is hardcore."
    - Kirsten Geary
  • Zorak
    Zorak
    ✭✭✭
    ESO as close to the tabletop experience as you can get ??

Are you serious ?

Try Neverwinter 1 and 2.
    Edited by Zorak on May 7, 2014 1:26PM
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zorak wrote: »
    ESO as close to the tabletop experience as you can get ??

Are you serious ?

Try Neverwinter 1 and 2.

think he means as an actual MMO (though those are in my top 10 favorite games maybe top 5)
  • sevcik.miroslaveb17_ESO
    Uhm NVN did not catch me much. BG saga will always be with me :-)
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, I never played neverwinter.

• isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it good, can I play a non-humany race? the only thing that turned me of off SWTOR was the fact that I cannot even pay to play a wookie.

I read a book long ago that detailed Wookie culture, they really are an interesting bunch.
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be willing to pay large to run a Wookie, sigh
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wookies have retractable claws that are really good in battle - but they consider melee claw fighting as uncouth, and prefer more sophisticated, techie thing like blasters.
  • Zorak
    Zorak
    ✭✭✭
    Uhm NVN did not catch me much. BG saga will always be with me :-)

Baldur's Gate ?

Never played it, but it looks to be a very nice RPG.

• sevcik.miroslaveb17_ESO
    Yup baldur's gate. Both games with datadiscs will always be in my memory :-)

Minsc: Evil, meet my sword. Sword, meet eeevil :-). He had great quotes.

Also IceWind Dale were great games, but I was missing personal story of party members.
    Edited by sevcik.miroslaveb17_ESO on May 7, 2014 2:05PM
  • KariTR
    KariTR
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The player made worlds were awesome, but the single player Original Campaign was not good. Not good at all.

PS: Icewind Dale was really bad too.

• Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also a veteran of WoW, having played since the first day of release. Also came to ESO through EQ, CoH, AoC, SWTOR, STO, TSW and a whole bunch of other acronyms. Wouldn't consider myself in MMOs by any stretch but I've seen a lot and know what about these games I like and dislike.

ESO, while a Theme Park MMO still has a sandbox feel. There is not 'right' way to explore, no set path via quest hubs and quest chains to 'complete' the zone. Yes, there are quest chains but they're story driven and I find myself more interested in what happened / is happening than I am in finishing the line and collecting phat lootz. I can't count the number of times my toon has just taken off in a direction and stumbled upon a quest organically ( to quote Paul Sage ). It's an awesome feeling.

Also love the combat. It feels more immediate, there's a greater sense of urgency and each decision really important. I'm fighting the mob, not playing my UI, decisions are made based on resources and the situation, not on cooldowns. That's huge for me.

I agree with OP that ESO is fun and also wish to thank ZOS and everyone involved, including the helpful players, for making this experience a pleasant one.
    Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Laehl Direthorn - Bosmer Nightblade, Purveyor of fine Clothes, Bows and Staves
    Reeza gra-Zuni - Orc Templar 'War Shaman' and Apothecary
    Noemi Snowpaw - Kajiit Dragon Knight - I laugh... or I'd have to kill you.
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Lysara Shadowcroft - Dunmer Bloodmage: This will only hurt a lot.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gohlar wrote: »

So did I, for what is was worth. I don't regret money and time spent, but, um, eso just fits my bill a bit better.

If only everyone were like you and knew how to 'move on' instead of lurking in forums of games they 'hate'
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KariTR wrote: »

The player made worlds were awesome, but the single player Original Campaign was not good. Not good at all.

PS: Icewind Dale was really bad too.

??

You know it's considered a classic straight after BG2? Why was it bad?
    I agree on NW, though, both claims