Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Thank You ZOS For Ending Crown Store Gifting

LordDragonSlayer
I want to thank ZOS for helping me break my addiction to the Crown Store Items.

If you think I am going to buy your Crowns and pay these outrageous prices for Crown Store Items, I am not.

Let me break this down for people. Crowns cost for PC-NA $150 for 21000 at full price or $90 for 21000 when on sale.

The cost per Crown is 0.71429 cents at full price and 0.42857 cents if bought on sale. Now that may not sound so bad, right? Except everything in the Crown store typically is 1000 Crowns or more. There are some exceptions but for the most part everything is as said 1000 Crowns or more. 1000 Crowns * 0.71429 cents is 714 cents = $7.14 at full price or $4.29 when on sale (Two times a year I think). Sorry that is too high for pixels in my opinion.

Lets look at the Crown Crate cost. Most will buy the 15 crates for 5000. 5000 Crowns will cost you either $35.71 or $21.43. Each crate costs you either $2.38 or $1.43. To get 100% of the items, you are typically going to need 200 to 300 crates with breaking down most of the crate items into the Crown Gems. That will cost you a whopping $714.29 at full price or $428.57 at sale price.

So again ZOS, thank you for not allowing any Crown Store item be giftable and helping me break my addiction. I will pay my yearly ESO+ membership..
Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 5, 2023 4:23PM
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is so good to be hearing you've conquered an addiction. Blessings to you and without a drop of animosity. This is truly a great day in Tamriel.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy Crowns on sale and then sit on them until there's a house I want.

Just because you buy something doesn't mean you need to use it all up right away.

And I think people tend to respect something more if they paid for it themselves than if someone else paid for it. I'm speaking in general about any goods or services in the world, not just the Crown Store in particular. But if you were easily and reliably able to give other players gold in exchange for Crown Store items that you wanted, such that you never had to spend any of your own actual money, I think that's why you were so addicted to Crown Store items.

Now that you'll have to spend some of your own actual money to get those items, suddenly they have less attraction to you and you realize that you don't really need them as much as you used to think you did.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Aka_
    Aka_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big W for OP's wallet!
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's look at if from another perspective. A player has ESO+ meaning they get crowns as part of that subscription. Maybe that player has no use for those crowns. Being able to gift those crowns to a friend or trade for gold to another player in the game was a viable alternative to just letting them sit there unused. Now nobody in that scenario is happy. If the player could trade crown items for gold that makes two players happy.
    Looking at crown addiction what are you going to do with the crowns you get through ESO+. If you are truly addicted spending those crowns for yourself could feed the addiction even more than purchasing crown items for gold in the game would. When most players talk about crown addiction they are talking about crown crates. The addiction would be caused by the anticipation of opening the crown crates. Doesn't matter if the crates are purchased with crowns earned by subscribing, buying crowns or trading gold for crates it is opening them that feeds the addiction.
    If you are addicted all those crowns you earn through ESO+ will be a temptation and without gifting you have no way to rid yourself of that temptation.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Daoin
    Daoin
    ✭✭✭
    so it is alright for others to buy and have the crowns and sell those crowns to others for easy to get gold then pay the player run gold market for items with thier real spent cash for gold transactions ? i saw a post on this the other day but was not sure what it was about but if crown item gifting is stopping then good. i for sure am one that just has never supported paying strangers cash rather than the game on any real cash for gold item store thing for an ingame farming community, and to hear it said its not fair i cant have crown store items because i dont want to buy crowns from the game i want to buy them from new players that want ingame items faster
    Edited by Daoin on September 4, 2023 7:26AM
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Big W for LordDragonSlayer
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait is this the first time you sat down and realised how insanely expensive everything in the Crown Store is? That's actually quite worrying.

I do wonder if games shouldn't be required to state clearly the real-world currency equivalent (and to block loot boxes of all kinds). A house -- just the house -- in this game costs more than most complete, full-fat triple A games.
    Edited by Northwold on September 4, 2023 10:30AM
  • lostineternity
    lostineternity
    ✭✭✭
    I believe one day ZoS can cure everyone's addiction to ESO as well. They are definitely doing right steps in this direction.
    Edited by lostineternity on September 4, 2023 10:33AM
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LordDragonSlayer I guess it's time to change your name to CrownStoreSlayer! Congrats!
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They paused it. This is temporary as they are working to resolve the issue. It will be back up.
  • lostineternity
    lostineternity
    ✭✭✭
    wilykcat wrote: »
    They paused it. This is temporary as they are working to resolve the issue. It will be back up.

Sure :lol:
    They can't even remove invisible wall in TP for 3 weeks
  • SithisKhajitiiLamae

TP?
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tel Pen maybe?

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

TP?

Toilet Paper, Teleport, ... ? I'm not sure what that acronym means in this case.
    Edited by wilykcat on September 5, 2023 2:43AM
  • jbrianj
    jbrianj
    ✭✭✭
    Northwold wrote: »
    Wait is this the first time you sat down and realised how insanely expensive everything in the Crown Store is? That's actually quite worrying.

I do wonder if games shouldn't be required to state clearly the real-world currency equivalent (and to block loot boxes of all kinds). A house -- just the house -- in this game costs more than most complete, full-fat triple A games.

Governments should ban fake currencies that translate to real currencies, because it gives you a false sense of what something costs, and that would technically be deception, and illegal. But it's not enforced in any way.

Everything you pay for real money, should always show everything in real money.

I've actually had contact with a bigger political party here in The Netherlands who I contacted about game currencies (including fake gambling currencies), and that legislation for this has been discussed several times already.

I certainly hope this gets banned everywhere. Fake currencies are the definition of Deception, because they are meant to hide the real cost of something. There's literally no other reason these currencies exist. It's all to deceive our monkey brains

See it like this: You think, ah let's get 21000 crowns, it's the "best deal" out of all of the packages. So now you got 21000 crowns to spend. You think "Oh look what a cute house" and you no longer realize the fact you just spent 125 Euro's on 21000. All your monkey brain thinks now is that you have 21000 crowns to spend, not realizing you're spending 125 euro's on a single crown store item.

Not a lot of people would've bought that same house if the price just said "€124.99"... You can literally feed a 4-person family for a week with that amount of money. For a single crown store item.

[snip]
    [edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 5, 2023 12:42PM
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jbrianj wrote: »

Governments should ban fake currencies that translate to real currencies, because it gives you a false sense of what something costs, and that would technically be deception, and illegal. But it's not enforced in any way.

I've actually had contact with a bigger political party here in The Netherlands who I contacted about game currencies (including fake gambling currencies), and that legislation for this has been discussed several times already.

I certainly hope this gets banned everywhere. Fake currencies are the definition of Deception, because they are meant to hide the real cost of something. There's literally no other reason these currencies exist. It's all to deceive our monkey brains

See it like this: You think, ah let's get 21000 crowns, it's the "best deal" out of all of the packages. So now you got 21000 crowns to spend. You think "Oh look what a cute house" and you no longer realize the fact you just spent 125 Euro's on 21000. All your monkey brain thinks now is that you have 21000 crowns to spend, not realizing you're spending 125 euro's on a single crown store item.

Not a lot of people would've bought that same house if the price just said "€124.99"... You can literally feed a 4-person family for a week with that amount of money. For a single crown store item.

[snip]

Of course you understand what you are spending. You might become a little detached from the actual value but you still know what it is costing. [snip]

[edited for bashing & to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 5, 2023 12:45PM
  • Daoin
    Daoin
    ✭✭✭
    according to the post though the problem lies in not being able to buy other peoples crowns for gold, not sure if i overlooked anything but ive seen no complaints saying 'hey i want to sell my crowns to farmers..bring it back' although they are looking at ways for a safe way to re apply gifting i cannot myself see how this could be done. true its nice to be able to send a friend a crown store gift but if these people are rl friends theres other ways to go about it already
    Edited by Daoin on September 5, 2023 3:55AM
  • jbrianj
    jbrianj
    ✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

[snip]

Of course you understand what you are spending. You might become a little detached from the actual value but you still know what it is costing. [snip]

You're trying to look at it from an objective neutral standpoint, but you forget that these currencies and pricing are all psychology and meant to trigger parts of our brain that make us spend more and more money.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 5, 2023 12:46PM
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

[snip]

You're trying to look at it from an objective neutral standpoint, but you forget that these currencies and pricing are all psychology and meant to trigger parts of our brain that make us spend more and more money.

I understand psychology well. [snip] The crowns go on sale. That creates a false urgency. Some items are seasonal and some are exclusive and we don't always know when something is coming around. There might be something we want later. If we wait until later to get our crowns though we miss the lower price. So we purchase crowns just in case there is something we will want later. We don't want to miss out on the sale nor the item.
    On a tangent a study I always found interesting used slot machines to help determine behavior. They found people would rather play slot machines with lots of bells and whistles going off when you won rather than machines where you won more often. All those stupid games on peoples phones take full advantage of that behavior. You can play for free but if you really want to see and hear a cascade of flashiness you purchase a special item that really stimulates the senses.

[edited for bashing & to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 5, 2023 12:47PM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

OP was forced to examine those facts since they can no longer pay gold for those things, is the point, I believe.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

TP?

Telvanni Peninsula.

A recent patch introduced an out of place collision that prevents players from acquiring one of the leads required for the Telvanni Alchemy Station.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/641512/bug-with-lead-vacuum-filtration-apparatus-in-telvani-pennisula

Hopefully tomorrow's patch will address that.
  • lostineternity
    lostineternity
    ✭✭✭

[snip]

Yep this is fraudulent behavior. I hope ZoS will try to punish that scammers.... oh wait.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 5, 2023 12:47PM
  • VvwvenomwvV
    VvwvenomwvV
    ✭✭✭✭
    A friend of mine ( he passed away a few years ago ), he and his wife drove truck for a living. He gave me some advice about crown gifting. He said "It's easier for him to make real money that it is in-game gold." He went on to say that he "doesn't have time to grind for gold in the game."

Some people work all the time, but still try to play Eso when their schedule allows for it. Other people have copious amounts of time they can spend on the game, and as such, they can grind to make gold.

Crown gifting bridges that gap.

I don't the full details of the fraudulent activities that Zos is talking about, other than currency exchange. I hope that they can get something figured out soon that is easy, reliable, and secure.
    Edited by VvwvenomwvV on September 5, 2023 12:24PM
  • Daoin
    Daoin
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine ( he passed away a few years ago ), he and his wife drove truck for a living. He gave me some advice about crown gifting. He said "It's easier for him to make real money that it is in-game gold." He went on to say that he "doesn't have time to grind for gold in the game."

Some people work all the time, but still try to play Eso when their schedule allows for it. Other people have copious amounts of time they can spend on the game, and as such, they can grind to make gold.

I don't the full details of the fraudulent activities that Zos is talking about, other than currency exchange. I hope that they can get something figured out soon that is easy, reliable, and secure.

sorry for your loss, and question do you now sell crowns rather than farm gold ?
  • Gray_howling_parrot
    Gray_howling_parrot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is great. There’s a lot of people that I don’t think ever bothered really looking at how crazy expensive and predatory the crown store is until they were confronted with only purchasing that stuff with $$$ rather than in game gold. You’re telling me that one house in eso costs almost DOUBLE all of starfield??? Give me a break lol.
    ESO YouTube Content Creator & Templar Tank/Healer Main
  • GooGa592
    GooGa592
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[snip]
    [edited for profanity bypass]

I'm highly confident that the gross overpricing in the crown store is the leading cause of any fraudulent behavior surrounding the crown store. Price gouging is not a good way to foster customer respect either.
  • Daoin
    Daoin
    ✭✭✭
    they looked they knew they made the thread thank you for stopping it when the post is about why its not a good idea to stop it, it just a pity not everyone realizes crowns for gold is a rip, what value people want to put on thier own items is a different topic though
  • VvwvenomwvV
    VvwvenomwvV
    ✭✭✭✭
    Daoin wrote: »

sorry for your loss, and question do you now sell crowns rather than farm gold ?

My loss is Heaven's gain. To answer your question, no, I've never sold crowns.
    Edited by VvwvenomwvV on September 5, 2023 2:22PM
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Crown Store & ESO Plus section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post