The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Need some help i guess

Wylander
Wylander
✭✭
Today i was in a convo with some other players while playing a Sorc.
My first intention as i read about ESO and the "Play what and how you want" statement from the DEVs was ok. As a old Age of Conan player, i liked the idea behind a 2handed wielding Mage known as a "Herold of Xotli" in AoC.
So i grabed out a skill calculator and tried around. Ended up with a Breton Sorc with 5H/2L Armor equipment and a 2h Sword.
Using Dark Magic skills to increase passivly my Crit chance up to 15% + Mundus and Crit enchantment on Weapon i come around with 26-28% crit chance and my amor is crafetd VR10 gear with stamina enchantments (only Vendor atm because guild mates can only enchant up to VR9 atm.
but now the big problem. I have realy massivly problems in VR areas/quest with non CC able NPCs like bone skelletors (The big nasty ones, elite 12k HP+) and all this crappy things out there. So in the Convo today the mages put out some results from there DPS parsings using different addons for this. A few of them ending up to 700-900DPS on single target. When i parse my DPS i'm always ending up by only 200-280 DPS. As i saw this i guess there are only 2 possible reasons for this. The first one is. it is not possible to play everything you want as long as you want to be efficiency. The 2nd is that i'm just stucking in old structures of other MMOs like AoC or WoW and i can't figure out corectly how to play well here.
The biggest Problem atm for me is, that 2h uses a ton of Stamina and it takes so much time to regen stamina. Stam reg is at soft cap atm and stamina itselfs is buffed by around 1950.

I realy hope you can help me a littlebit to become a better player and not the next fully idiot in VR dungeons.

Thx to any anwsers here.
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imho, if you gonna use two handers your better of with a race that has stamina traits.
    That said, it is indeed the play what you want but not as effective as it could be if you do.
    Try maybe weapons that absorb stamina, have an alchemist brew you some stamina potions. theres great stuff you can do with alchemy.
    On longer fights, like those bone golems whatyemecallit, its sometimes better not to go all out to max your parser but regulate attacks so you dont run out halfway battle of resources.
    Havent been vet yet with a twohander so couldnt say how that would work but right now, im using a heavy attack-skill-heavy attack-skill attack patern and i never run out of resources no matter howlong the battle takes.
    Well, im nb caster with syphon strikes makes me have an infinite pool mana so its hardly a comparison i guess.
  • pysgod1978b14_ESO
    You're not conserving your resources. Light attacks aren't a bad thing. Never be in a big hurry to faceroll enemies. Fight smart, don't stand and try to slap out as much damage as possible all the time. If this were one of those other two games that would be fine. It's all dice roll on there anyways.
  • Nasuradin_ESO
    Nasuradin_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Not exactly the advice you may be looking for, but as an alternative...

I spent my early VR lvls with a greatsword, any time I encountered something I couldn't survive with a greatsword I swapped to resto staff with 2 pets and just chipped at stuff while healing my pets and myself.
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Not exactly the advice you may be looking for, but as an alternative...

I spent my early VR lvls with a greatsword, any time I encountered something I couldn't survive with a greatsword I swapped to resto staff with 2 pets and just chipped at stuff while healing my pets and myself.

WoW if this is what I have to look forward to in VR then it sounds very boring.

I will stick by my NB bowmen no matter how hard it gets... couldn't stand doing what your doing... But each to his/her own :)
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • Nasuradin_ESO
    Nasuradin_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Mortelus wrote: »

I will stick by my NB bowmen no matter how hard it gets... couldn't stand doing what your doing... But each to his/her own :)

I hated resorting to that because yes, it was very boring and I avoided having to fight like that as much as I could.

Most of the time when it came to fighting like that the only goal was to survive the encounter, usually it would be vs a world boss that doesn't summon adds so I could solo it. Most encounters I could handle fine with a greatsword and some spells.

Edited by Nasuradin_ESO on May 5, 2014 6:55AM
  • Tadhg_Longhouse
    Tadhg_Longhouse
    ✭✭✭
    There is a lot of flexibility to play how you want to play, but you can't do it 24/7. This game ultimately favors those who make the most of various abilities for different situations. While you only have maybe 10 skills available at a time. You can still switch it up to suit the coming battle.

Using surge/bound armor to up weapon damage and use your magicka more than stamina abilities may prove better for your dps as you have rolled the most magicka friendly class/race

The worst part of the dark magic crit passive is that dark magic doesn't affect some enemies to apply the crit rating so you will lose out there. The negate magic ultimate might be the only skill that you can use to affect bosses long enough to do some major crit damage.
    Edited by Tadhg_Longhouse on May 5, 2014 8:46AM
    Tadhg Longhouse
    Reachman Sorcerer
    Aldmeri Dominion
  • Wylander
    Wylander
    ✭✭
    Guys thx alot. as far as i can see the statement that you can play what you want dosn't fit 100% to the current game situation. well after 2 days of creating and planning a new build and a lot of theorycrafting i'm alsmost done now with a good Stamina based build and is a simple and very flexiable "Reaver" specc.
    New gear is in the pipe but at the moment i'm very happy. By around 650 DPS and a huge amount of healing is the most anoying par tin the game now the lags :smile: or sometimes buggy blocking moves. But this is nothing i can cure by myself.
    But it's a lot of fun playing now and for harder situations i went back too the good old shool and ask my guild for help.

I think the biggest problem was that i stucked in to old stuff i liked and already burned into my brain from times of playing WoW or AoC. But after thinking on Vanilla WoW there was also situations where you couldn't do it alone all the time. So guild mates and team play is the key for success here and a good build helps is the other part.

But thx for all your comments and ideas.