The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

LVL 5 Player Help Needed

leongt1954
Hi I'm new to MMO play and am at level 5 and seem to get killed all the time and am finding it hard to level up, When I played Skyrim I just wandered around killing beasts and stuff until I got to a higher level then did some dungeons but in ESO I'm finding things really hard.

I've only ever played single player RPG
  • Hodorius
    Hodorius
    ✭✭✭
    First I have some questions:

Have you done the starter islands?
    Which class do you play?
    Which skills did you take?
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you gone to the Tutorial Islands? When you leave Coldharbor and you woke up, after speaking with the prophet you should have had a NPC just outside telling you that your friends (or the people that saved you) are waiting you on an island and that he can arrange passage for you. Depending on your Alliance, the island would be either Bleakrock or Khenarti Roost (I forgot the DC one...)
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you even quest bro?

No but seriously, whatever you read on this forum, just stick with it. Its the only working recipe.

At some point we all stepped into the MMO world, and there isnt really a fast way to learn.
    Group with other players but if you dont like them, dont group with them again :#
    Edited by Gisgo on May 7, 2014 10:03AM
  • Spryt
    Spryt
    ✭✭
    Unlike Skyrim ESO areas are level based. So make sure you check what level the monster you are about to engage before. If it is 2-3 levels higher then you need to be extra careful. Same goes for quests. You can see the level in your journal.

Also make sure your gear is in right level. If you havn't already I would recomend you pick up some crafting. Will save you a lot of touble if you can craft your own gear.
    Edited by Spryt on May 7, 2014 10:07AM
  • leongt1954
    No I haven't done the starter islands yet, I'm in the starter city of daggerfall and I'm a dragon Knight and my main skill are single handed sword.

I did the first quest of Blood and the crescent mood but that's all
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    leongt1954 wrote: »
    No I haven't done the starter islands yet, I'm in the starter city of daggerfall and I'm a dragon Knight and my main skill are single handed sword.

I did the first quest of Blood and the crescent mood but that's all

Look for the NPC that will send you to the Starter Island and proceed from there. It will be easier
  • Hodorius
    Hodorius
    ✭✭✭
    You should do the starter Islands... that NPC stands in front of the very first house you have left.

They are easy and give some lvl ups.
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get an armor, get a weapon, invest your skill points wisely, grab every quest you can, learn to dodge and block and have at it.
  • Knovah
    Knovah
    ✭✭✭
    If you have not gone to the starter islands...I would do that first.

It is the first quest you pick up once you get past the initial escape from jail thing. (Not sure what alliance you picked) .Once you get to the Island it is pretty easy to run around gather chests ( basic gear and gold) and pick up quests. It is a great place to get the feel of the game and the creatures are low enough to kill with mild challenge.

explore explore explore ... quests and kill everything on the island.

Once you get into the groove it is a bit easier.

The maps are level based and usually following a quest line will lead you from one area to the next.

Just my opinion, but being lvl5 you should still be on the starter islands. It gets easier, about the only advice I can give is follow your quests till you are comfortable with how the game progresses. Join a social guild. You can find some very helpful people that can point you in right direction or even help with advice.

Not sure on what class you are playing or what alliance you are on, so I cannot really give you any specifics. I used this site:

http://skillcalc.massyx.de/

To work out a basic direction of what class I wanted to play. It cut down a lot of stress and time for me.

Feel free to message me in game or here if you need help @knovah

most my questions I searched on the support page or forums ( weed through the crap you can get decent answers)

And Welcome to mmo's... Would general hand out troll repellant but they have all became immune to it so beware ;)

Happy Hunting and Good Luck
    Edited by Knovah on May 7, 2014 10:50AM
    Video games ......The only legal place to kill stupid people.
  • leongt1954
    Ok thanks I've just started the starter quest, And in answer to Gisgo do I ever quest, Well I've played all the elder scroll series except Arena
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And craft, at least your armor and weapons
  • leongt1954
    thanks knovah, This MMO is a hole new experience for me and I've been playing 1st person RPG since my first game Eye Of The Beholder on an Amiga 500
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i found the game to be a bit confusing, in fact most my time is spent helping new players because well..that's just what i enjoy doing. If you need help with any thing feel free to add me..@jircris11 please do not ask for gold or items though...have had a few do that >>
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • LariahHunding
    LariahHunding
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think learning these few things make the game a lot easier.

Blocking & Counterattacks
    Holding the right mouse button will block regardless of whether you have a shield, and reduce damage from enemy attacks. Blocking consumes stamina, and shields have the best damage reduction.
    If you block an enemy’s strong attack (enemy has yellow aura as executing), you’ll be able to break their defenses and open them up for a devastating counterattack using a strong attack of your own.

Interrupting Enemies
    When enemies glow red, it means that the attack they are using (or are about to use) can be interrupted. To interrupt the attack, press the left and right mouse button at the same time. Interrupting consumes stamina.

Dodging and Breaking Free of Crowd Control
    To dodge enemy attacks, double-tap the movement keys in the direction you’d like to dodge. If you time it right, you’ll avoid damage from the attack. Dodging costs stamina.
    Some enemy attacks may hold you in place. To break this effect, you can press both mouse buttons at once. This also costs stamina.
    "Give a man a sweet roll, he only has one to steal. Give him a sweet roll recipe, he have bunches to steal."