Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Implement something to prevent people in IC from queueing out mid-fight.

CameraBeardThePirate
CameraBeardThePirate
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Seriously, it's ridiculous. The entire point of IC is that fights are a risk vs reward. Allowing players to instantly queue into Cyrodiil as soon as they realize they're outmatched is silly and completely negates the risk aspect of IC. They can do this with the assistance of an addon - no need for fiddling with menus.

Edit because I see some misunderstanding:

I don't want ZOS to completely remove the ability to queue while in IC, nor do I want them to remove the ability to accept a queue while in combat. People that happen to get a 45 min queue pop in the middle of combat aren't the problem. The problem are the people that see you, queue out to avoid losing telvar, then queue right back into IC. They're not sitting and waiting in queue, and it's not coincidence - they're entering the queue into an empty campaign when they realize they're outmatched to get an instant escape for no TelVar cost.

Changing it so that people cannot enter a new queue if they've been damaged or dealt damage in the past 30 seconds would have no consequences other than preventing this exploit. You'd still be able to queue in IC, and you'd still be able to accept the queue in combat. The only thing that would change is that you'd no longer have an easy way to negate the risk/reward of IC.
Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on August 17, 2023 7:16PM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with this is, it would prevent players from playing IC while they are in a queue for Cyrodil. Sometimes I just want to farm Tel Var while I wait the 40 minutes or so to get into cyrodil.
    Options
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    The problem with this is, it would prevent players from playing IC while they are in a queue for Cyrodil. Sometimes I just want to farm Tel Var while I wait the 40 minutes or so to get into cyrodil.

It wouldn't if implemented properly.

Don't prevent queueing for Cyrodiil while in IC, prevent queueing for Cyrodiil if you meet/don't meet a set of criteria.

Taken damage recently? Not allowed to queue.
    Dealt damage recently? Not allowed to queue.

In your alliance base? Allowed to queue.
    Immortal on the door balcony in-between districts? Allowed to queue.

Just stop people from saying "oh wow that person could kill me and take my telvar! Good thing I have an addon to instantly queue me for cyrodiil/random dungeon at the press of a button!"

You'd still be allowed to queue as soon as you enter IC, and still be allowed to take the queue once it pops no matter what's going on. I run around IC while queued for BGs all the time, but I dont queue mid-combat as a get-out-of-jail free card. Just stop the on-demand escape portal nonsense.
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on August 17, 2023 1:54PM
    Options
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't prevent queueing for Cyrodiil while in IC, prevent queueing for Cyrodiil if you meet/don't meet a set of criteria.

Just stop people from saying "oh wow that person could kill me and take my telvar! Good thing I have an addon to instantly queue me for cyrodiil/random dungeon at the press of a button!"

You'd still be allowed to queue as soon as you enter IC, and still be allowed to take the queue once it pops. Just stop the on-demand escape portal nonsense.

You are misunderstanding the order it happens in. Most people don’t queue for cyrodiil mid-fight. They go to enter cyro, get placed in a long queue, and decided to hit IC to pass the time in the queue.

After 45 min in the queue, when it pops I’m accepting immediately because I’d rather be there.

Any changes to this will notably reduce the already low IC population. If people already in a cyro queue are prevented from entering IC, we will do something else while we wait. If people in the cyro queue are prevented from accepting when the queue pops based on IC conditions we’ll stop going to IC while we wait.

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    Options
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »

You'd still be allowed to queue as soon as you enter IC, and still be allowed to take the queue once it pops. Just stop the on-demand escape portal nonsense.

You are misunderstanding the order it happens in. Most people don’t queue for cyrodiil mid-fight. They go to enter cyro, get placed in a long queue, and decided to hit IC to pass the time in the queue.

After 45 min in the queue, when it pops I’m accepting immediately because I’d rather be there.

Any changes to this will notably reduce the already low IC population. If people already in a cyro queue are prevented from entering IC, we will do something else while we wait. If people in the cyro queue are prevented from accepting when the queue pops based on IC conditions we’ll stop going to IC while we wait.

I think you're misunderstanding.

Yes, most people queue for Cyro well before the fight. But spend 1 weekend killing players in IC and you'll find tons of players that queue out as soon as you start to damage them. Every time. That's not just "coincidence", it's abusing the system to mitigate the risk of losing telvar. They weren't waiting in queue for cyrodiil, because in 2 minutes you'll find them in IC again, and surprise surprise, as soon as they see you again they'll queue out once more.

And again, I'm not saying remove the ability to accept a queue at all. Remove the ability to enter the queue in the middle of the fight.
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on August 17, 2023 1:39PM
    Options
  • Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously, it's ridiculous. The entire point of IC is that fights are a risk vs reward. Allowing players to instantly queue into Cyrodiil as soon as they realize they're outmatched is silly and completely negates the risk aspect of IC.

I must be missing something here. If I stopped in the middle of fighting something to click buttons to queue for Cyrodiil, I would be dead before I finished, at least on PS/NA, where I don't have add-ons and have to use the default menu. How are they instantly going to Cyrodiil while you are damaging them.

Or did you attack them, then they got away from you, and then they are going to Cyrodiil? If they are going to Cyrodiil while they are not currently in combat with anything, why is this a problem?
    Options
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ingenon wrote: »
    Seriously, it's ridiculous. The entire point of IC is that fights are a risk vs reward. Allowing players to instantly queue into Cyrodiil as soon as they realize they're outmatched is silly and completely negates the risk aspect of IC.

I must be missing something here. If I stopped in the middle of fighting something to click buttons to queue for Cyrodiil, I would be dead before I finished, at least on PS/NA, where I don't have add-ons and have to use the default menu. How are they instantly going to Cyrodiil while you are damaging them.

Or did you attack them, then they got away from you, and then they are going to Cyrodiil? If they are going to Cyrodiil while they are not currently in combat with anything, why is this a problem?

On PC there's no need to stop and click buttons; there are a few different addons that allow you to queue instantly at the press of a keybind. I'd imagine this is much less of a problem on console.
    Options
  • Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On PC there's no need to stop and click buttons; there are a few different addons that allow you to queue instantly at the press of a keybind. I'd imagine this is much less of a problem on console.

OK. Then I hope ZOS either fixes this issue by banning the PC add-on that allows instant queue to Cyrodiil, or ignores this issue. I would not like to see ZOS change the base game to fix an issue caused by an add-on, when players on PS/NA, PS/EU, XB/NA, and XB/EU are not able to even experience the issue, since we don't have add-ons.
    Options
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

OK. Then I hope ZOS either fixes this issue by banning the PC add-on that allows instant queue to Cyrodiil, or ignores this issue. I would not like to see ZOS change the base game to fix an issue caused by an add-on, when players on PS/NA, PS/EU, XB/NA, and XB/EU are not able to even experience the issue, since we don't have add-ons.

It wouldn't affect you at all though - as you said yourself, you don't enter the queue in the middle of a fight as it's cumbersome.

As I've said multiple times in this post now, I'm not advocating for the complete removal of queueing in IC, nor am I advocating for the removal of the ability to accept the queue in the middle of a fight.

I'm advocating for the removal of the ability to ENTER THE QUEUE in the middle of the fight. This would literally only affect people that are currently abusing this loophole - that's it. You'd still be able to run around IC while queued, and you'd still be able to accept the queue whenever you want.

There's a reason Sigils of Imperial Retreat only work outside of combat - ZOS doesn't want you to be able to port out with your stones at the drop of a hat.
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on August 17, 2023 2:03PM
    Options
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People against this either do not understand what OP is referring to, or abuse it themselves to avoid dying.

On both PC servers, this has become a huge issue. The players that I frequently see farming telvar in IC will pop a queue the moment they see me, and they'll disappear 10 seconds later. The mechanic is being thoroughly abused to circumvent the risk of farming telvar, and to avoid combat in PVP when players know they're outmatched.

Like OP said, on PC there are addons that will accept the queue for you. Additionally, on PC you don't need to drop block or stop moving in order to actually start the queue - these actions can still be performed with the campaign menu open.

This is seriously hurting the integrity of the game mode. While I understand the concerns of people that are worried about missing their 45 minute gray host queue, or people that are worried they'll be stuck in combat and trapped in IC, a change could be implemented without affecting those scenarios.

Either;

1) Make it so you cannot start a fresh queue if you're in direct combat, i.e if you've taken or dealt damage in the past 30s - 1 minute.

2) Make queuing out take half your telvar and award it to the people you are in combat with. I actually don't understand why this mechanic isn't in place when the "get me unstuck" feature already removes half your telvar when used in the districts or sewers. Queueing out is effectively the same thing with no telvar penalty, no combat restriction, and at least twice as fast when queueing to an empty campaign.

@ZOS_Kevin Maybe a tag for visibility - this has been an issue that has grown worse every patch for the past year, and an integrity change is much warranted here as players are essentially exploiting a game mechanic to circumvent telvar loss.
    Edited by React on August 17, 2023 2:22PM
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
    Options
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    React wrote: »
    1) Make it so you cannot start a fresh queue if you're in direct combat, i.e if you've taken or dealt damage in the past 30s - 1 minute.

This would be the easiest solution that would only affect those abusing the mechanic. I don't think there's any argument against this solution that can be made in good faith.

Like, I get it, BG and Grey Host queues suck. But a solution like this wouldn't stop anyone from playing in IC while queued, and wouldn't cause anyone to miss a queue.
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on August 17, 2023 2:22PM
    Options
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sounds like you’ll end up making IC more of a ghost town than it already is.
    Options
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »

Based on what? The fact that players won't be able to abuse a mechanic to escape death without consequence? Why are they in a PvP zone in the first place then?

The only people that would be affected would be people abusing this loophole. If all we lose are players that don't want to participate in the risk vs reward for IC, then so be it.
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on August 17, 2023 2:33PM
    Options
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »

Not at all concerned about losing the PVE players who are abusing an exploit so that they can devalue telvar without any risk to themselves.
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
    Options
  • Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm advocating for the removal of the ability to ENTER THE QUEUE in the middle of the fight.

OK. I'm fine with this change. As long as folks not in the middle of a fight can enter queue. And someone who has been in queue waiting for 10+ minutes can accept queue when they finally get the invite.
    React wrote: »
    The players that I frequently see farming telvar in IC will pop a queue the moment they see me, and they'll disappear 10 seconds later.

Can they use a Sigil of Retreat when they see you? If yes, because they are not in combat, then they should also be able to queue for Cyrodiil. I think enter queue for Cyrodiil should work the same as use Sigil of Retreat.
    Options
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can they use a Sigil of Retreat when they see you? If yes, because they are not in combat, then they should also be able to queue for Cyrodiil. I think enter queue for Cyrodiil should work the same as use Sigil of Retreat.

No, you cannot use a sigil of retreat in combat. Additionally, the sigil has a physical visible channel time where the channeler is immobile and interruptable, and if you bash them out of it they are stuck in a (3 second? 5 second?) unbreakable stun.

Not comparable in the slightest to popping a queue and having an addon accept it for you without ever losing control of your character, while in direct combat.
    Edited by React on August 17, 2023 2:50PM
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this would be a hard situation to determine

there are a lot of times i pre-queue for cyro in a long queue and mess around in IC while waiting, there are sometimes where i just happen to be in the middle of combat when the queue decides to pop, so thats the legitimate case

but at the same time i also understand that people abuse it to queue out instantly to save the tel var

my proposal would be if you were in the queue for some amount of time (more than 10 minutes) and your queue pops it should not prevent you from going instantly, but if your entering of queue and queue pop was instant (less than 1 minute), theres like some enforced "wait period" before it actually moves you to the cyrodiil instance

or an alternative, is if you start the cyro queue outside of IC, when it pops it lets you port instantly, if you start the queue in IC (specifically in the districts), it enforces some minimum wait time before it pops your queue
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

there are a lot of times i pre-queue for cyro in a long queue and mess around in IC while waiting, there are sometimes where i just happen to be in the middle of combat when the queue decides to pop, so thats the legitimate case

but at the same time i also understand that people abuse it to queue out instantly to save the tel var

my proposal would be if you were in the queue for some amount of time (more than 10 minutes) and your queue pops it should not prevent you from going instantly, but if your entering of queue and queue pop was instant (less than 1 minute), theres like some enforced "wait period" before it actually moves you to the cyrodiil instance

or an alternative, is if you start the cyro queue outside of IC, when it pops it lets you port instantly, if you start the queue in IC (specifically in the districts), it enforces some minimum wait time before it pops your queue

Again, you don't even need any of those restraints.

Just have it follow the same stipulation as entering a door in IC. If you've taken or dealt damage in the last 30 seconds, you shouldn't be allowed to enter a new queue. That's it.

Wouldn't affect people that run around IC while in queue. Wouldn't prevent people from entering a queue while in IC. Wouldn't prevent people from accepting a queue when it pops, even if they're in the middle of the fight.

If the only change is that players can't enter a new queue in the middle of the fight, the only players that would be affected are the ones abusing this exploit.
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just have it follow the same stipulation as entering a door in IC. If you've taken or dealt damage in the last 30 seconds, you shouldn't be allowed to enter a new queue. That's it.

Wouldn't affect people that run around IC while in queue. Wouldn't prevent people from entering a queue while in IC. Wouldn't prevent people from accepting a queue when it pops, even if they're in the middle of the fight.

If the only change is that players can't enter a new queue in the middle of the fight, the only players that would be affected are the ones abusing this exploit.

the door condition is just "cant use while in combat" but what if you got stuck in combat and trying to queue out to fix that problem? (obviously unrelated to someone trying to abuse it)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    Options
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

the door condition is just "cant use while in combat" but what if you got stuck in combat and trying to queue out to fix that problem? (obviously unrelated to someone trying to abuse it)

No, you can use doors while in combat. The door condition is "if you haven't received or applied damage or debuffs in 20/30 seconds", which is exactly what OP is suggesting be applied to starting a new cyrodiil queue.

This would not affect a queue you already had going, such as a gray host queue or a battleground queue. Even if you were actively in combat with a player, if one of these queues went off you'd be able to take it. This change would exclusively prevent people from starting new queues while in combat with a player, which is only ever done to avoid a fight/telvar loss.
    Edited by React on August 17, 2023 6:32PM
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
    Options
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

As React already said, you can still enter doors while in combat. The only restriction is that you can't have taken or dealt damage recently (not sure what the actual timer on this is, but it's under 30 seconds).

Adding this stipulation to queueing would have no unintended consequences. It would only prevent people from abusing the queue.
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    probably never noticed cause its always one of those pesky NPCs that stop me from going through the door even if they hit me from 50 meters as im running pas them lol

im not saying the idea you have is bad, and i cant think of anything else that would be better without overcomplicating it
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    Options
  • i11ionward
    i11ionward
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously, it's ridiculous. The entire point of IC is that fights are a risk vs reward. Allowing players to instantly queue into Cyrodiil as soon as they realize they're outmatched is silly and completely negates the risk aspect of IC. They can do this with the assistance of an addon - no need for fiddling with menus.

I don't want ZOS to completely remove the ability to queue while in IC, nor do I want them to remove the ability to accept a queue while in combat. People that happen to get a 45 min queue pop in the middle of combat aren't the problem. The problem are the people that see you, queue out to avoid losing telvar, then queue right back into IC. They're not sitting and waiting in queue, and it's not coincidence - they're entering the queue into an empty campaign when they realize they're outmatched to get an instant escape for no TelVar cost.

Changing it so that people cannot enter a new queue if they've been damaged or dealt damage in the past 30 seconds would have no consequences other than preventing this exploit. You'd still be able to queue in IC, and you'd still be able to accept the queue in combat. The only thing that would change is that you'd no longer have an easy way to negate the risk/reward of IC.

Perhaps the developers should just disable the use of an addon that instantly accepts a queue?
    Options
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is probably one of the dumbest mechanics currently in the game. Needs to be changed. @ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_BrianWheeler @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_MattFiror

Not only can it be exploited during fights, you don't need to use a retreat stone or run back to base via sewers, you can enter cyrodiil and use cyrodiil bank to deposit stones then go back to IC lol. Completely circumvents the whole design of imperial city.
    Edited by IxSTALKERxI on August 18, 2023 9:04AM
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
    Options
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This wouldn't work because players would just have someone group queue them who is sitting outside of combat and there's no way that it could be coded to prevent that easily without ruining the goal of group queuing.
    It's already annoying enough that you can't queue for a different Cyrodiil campaign whilst in Cyro or a different sewer whilst in IC.
    Edited by Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO on August 18, 2023 11:01AM
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
    Options
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This wouldn't work because players would just have someone group queue them who is sitting outside of combat and there's no way that it could be coded to prevent that easily without ruining the goal of group queuing.
    It's already annoying enough that you can't queue for a different Cyrodiil campaign whilst in Cyro or a different sewer whilst in IC.

That would require the group leader to never fight with the group. If a group wants to gimp themselves to still abuse the queue system, so be it. This also wouldn't apply to solo players, which in my experience, are the ones abusing this the most.

It would still be a good change as it would still cut down on the number of people abusing the exploit. Yes it's annoying that you can't queue for a different Cyro or IC while in those respective campaigns, but this change wouldn't add any annoyance to anyone not abusing the queue system so I'm not really sure why you're bringing it up unless you fall under that category of players.

You also have no idea how hard or easy it would be to code a change like this. I'm assuming you don't work for ZOS.
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on August 18, 2023 12:22PM
    Options
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i11ionward wrote: »

Perhaps the developers should just disable the use of an addon that instantly accepts a queue?

Well to be fair, the addon adds insult to injury but this is easily done on a controller without the addon (speaking as someone who uses a controller on PC and doesn't have the addon).

Start -> RB -> up 3x -> A -> down 1x -> A

Starts the queue.

Start -> B -> wait 3 seconds outside of menu -> start -> LT -> A -> A

Accepts the queue.

It's a short string of actions that can be performed as quickly as you can press the buttons - even on a controller, it is extremely easy to abuse this exploit if you know how to properly navigate the menus. Hell, even if you don't you can simply pop a defensive ult and open the menus. It's not hard to do.

M&K players can continue moving and blocking while starting or accepting the queue. They don't even need the addon for this. It's not some addon designed to exploit this mechanic either - this queue accepting functionality is integral to 5 or more major addons.

Nah, this is completely wrong. First of all, if the group lead is sitting in the same district as any group member in combat, they'll also be in combat. Second, the players abusing this don't/won't have an extra person sitting outside of their zone waiting to queue them out. That is just absurd to even suggest.
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
    Options
  • Tertullian
    Tertullian
    ✭✭
    If zos do regard this as an issue, you do understand that any 'fix' they apply will be nothing like what has been suggested?

They'll nuke it completely. All you'll have left in IC are the the two guys in this thread advocating for the 'fix' avoiding fighting each other because neither have tel-vars worth fighting for because there's no actual tv farmers for them to have ganked.

Options
  • Tertullian
    Tertullian
    ✭✭
    meh, I don't really care. just bored posting until the servers get fixed.
    Options
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tertullian wrote: »
    If zos do regard this as an issue, you do understand that any 'fix' they apply will be nothing like what has been suggested?

They'll nuke it completely. All you'll have left in IC are the the two guys in this thread advocating for the 'fix' avoiding fighting each other because neither have tel-vars worth fighting for because there's no actual tv farmers for them to have ganked.

Lol what? Making a lot of assumptions about us there, bud
    Options
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah porting out while in combat should have the accept frozen out until in the clear or in an area of sanctuary with the safety buff active. Gotta respect the PvP!
    Options